Cap can alternative for Micro JTM45 or JCM800 builds?

tdoty

Tele-Meister
Relatively new at this (I have built a Deluxe Micro that is currently apart for "freshening"). For RobRob's Blackvibe and JCM800 models, is there anything wrong with just using individual caps?

Right now I'm torn between the Bassman Micro and the JCM800 Micro....I basically have the parts for both.

I'm also considering adding the Blackvibe preamp section to a Silvertone organ amp I have (it would be a Blackface preamp with EL84 output tubes), though I'm not sure at the moment if the transformer has enough voltage to get to AB763 levels. The organ amp worked until I tried rewiring the preamp.....it lost a lot of volume. When I went in to fix that, I completely lost the preamp. The output section still works though.

RobRob's Bassman doesn't use a cap can, but the other 2 do. I don't see where there's any difference, but I thought I'd ask people with more experience than me.

bebopbrain

Tele-Meister
There is nothing wrong with just using individual caps.

Can caps themselves are a problem because the return currents mix. Usually you want the reservoir cap to return its pulsating current separately.

Tom Kamphuys

Tele-Holic
Nothing wrong at all. Blencowe advices separate caps for optimized grounding.

Built both a JTM45 and jcm800 with separate caps.

sds1

Tele-Afflicted
Not only is nothing wrong with it, but you can spec higher quality capacitors than what the cans tend to offer.

The JJ 40/20/20/20 that Rob specifies is rated for 1000 hours at 70C.

The CE Mfg cans which are "Reproduced To Exact Mallory Specs Using Original Mallory Machinery" are rated at 2000 hours at 55C...

Meanwhile here's a Kemet axial that's rated 15,000 hours at 105C:
https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/PEG124VG2220QL1?qs=DqLQsTv2bi5WW4HPKu0Ukw==