can't you school me on preval?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by mistermikev, Apr 19, 2020.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

having a hard time getting this to work.
    I'm using watco clear gloss lacquer. I mixed about 1oz of lacquer thinner with some keda dye. Then added it to 5oz of lacquer. the preval would just do little spits. lacquer was coming out of the little 'v' air hole in the cap.
    figured it might be too thick so added progressively more lacquer and kept trying it. got really thin but no love.
    then figured maybe it wasn't thick enough... so took 1oz of what I had there and added 5oz of straight lacquer to it and still no love.
    changed the nozzle, no love.
    changed the input tube, no love.
    any idea what I'm doing wrong?

2. GunsOfBrixton

GunsOfBrixton Tele-Afflicted

Have you tried it with just water? If that doesn't work it sounds like a plugged nozzle.

mistermikev likes this.
  3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

Yeah, it sounds like something’s wrong with that particular nozzle. Try running straight thinner through it to see if it will clear.

I’ve used them with Watco, cut up to 50%. I haven’t had any problems.

mistermikev likes this.
  4. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

mmm, good call. will try straight thinner and report back.

5. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

ok, that one would not spray lacquer. so I took the other one (I got two) and put just lacquer in and we're good.

so to help me rule out anything I did to plug it... how much lacquer thinner would you mix into watco clear gloss lacquer?
    do I need to let any dye/lacquer mix sit for a long time? I'm just taking keda red dye and dropping a pinch in and swirling it around.

6. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

I’ve only used Mixol so I can’t help with the dye question. I always mix thoroughly, with a small stick.

I’ve sprayed Watco barely cut, when I was looking for high build (the trans white undercoat on an early 50s style finish).

I’ve also sprayed it up to 50/50 cut.

Now spray some shellac, that’s some thin s(almost said a bad word).

The first easy suspect on the clog is dried lacquer. You’re really supposed to spray some straight thinner thru after every use. I can’t say I always do that:oops:

7. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

well, these were brand new so... beginning to suspect the dye too. I've def swirled it around a lot... gonna leave it sit for a minute. should maybe have mixed the die with alcohol first... then lacquer thinner. i dunno.

8. GunsOfBrixton

As for how much thinner to use, what does watco recommend? I have started with 10% thinner to lacquer before and it worked well. If I needed a coat to flow more I may add a little more.
    You should ne be good just swirling the dye around.

9. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

absolutely infuriating! i dumped all the lacquer out and into the jar for saving... take the aerosol and hold it upside down and it sprays fine... put it back on the jar with only lacquer in it now... barely sprays.

10. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

have you used aniline dye powder to color lacquer before? I know I've read of folks doing it... but didn't think it would be this tricky.

11. sleazy pot pie

sleazy pot pie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sometimes they just fail.
    Have you tried the cap from the working one on the bad one?
    I have used my fair share of prevals and always kept my reciept to swap them out.
    If I remember correctly, it would be straight away and air would shoot into the jar and nothing would come out.
    As far as thinning lacquer, you had it pretty good the first time 1to5 or maybe 2to5 should work fine.
    I always bought too and had one in warm water for when the other started to freeze up from use.

12. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

well, I did buy two... 2nd one was spraying lacquer... and once I switched to my mix... now it's in the sm place as the first one. so pretty sure it's me/my-mix. gonna see if i can clear these out and start by trying to dillute dye in alcohol and then mix with thinner, then mix with lacquer. my best guess at this point.

13. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's

You might want to soak the tip(s) in thinner, then blow it out.

mistermikev likes this.
  14. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

My experience with Preval has always been that when you release the propellant from the can it cools the paint so much it clogs the nozzle. I don't even try to use it any longer

RodeoTex and mistermikev like this.
  15. GunsOfBrixton

I haven't used aniline powders. Sorry, I thought you were using liquids. That sounds.like the issue. Try cleaning the nozzle in denatured alcohol.

mistermikev likes this.
  16. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Holic

I do appreciate all the replies btw! thank you all. I will soak em and order some liquid keda. already did the back using keda or I'd try something else. thank you all for the input!

dkmw likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.