Can't we just leave Xmas music alone?

Discussion in 'Worship Service Players' started by blille, Dec 13, 2017.

1. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

I understand we have to play Xmas music during Xmas and I love Xmas but every year we seem to be playing new versions where they take a tune and tweak the chorus or add a bridge.

What I see happen is that the congregation gets a bit lost there (not everybody listen to klove 24/7) and I have to learn some random lines that I won't ever play again because next year it will be a new version.

Anybody else feels this way? Or maybe you have a good explanation of why it makes sense?

(End of rant)

Southpaw Tele likes this.
  2. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

This is not an issue in the Episcopal Church. But, the latest Hymnal (1984?) has changed some hymns a bit (including advent and christmas pieces). Yeah, changes to old, familiar songs are generally awful if you expect people to sing along....

But, for offertory or prelude/postlude songs, a good tweak is great. Keeps it interesting ...

blille likes this.
  3. CAAD8N8

CAAD8N8 Tele-Holic

I'm with you. Let's just play Christmas music if we're going to play it. We pay the same five songs every year, but different versions every year. People get lost, I'm never confident playing them... I find it annoying.

4. islander

islander Tele-Meister

I used to think the volume knob on my guitar was for Christmas music. Then I learned that it was for opening up the tone with in my gear, and for Christmas music.
    I like to leave it alone, let the piano's giver (except maybe silent night)
    My past involves more than one group who felt the need to change songs drastically. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. For me, it just got old. I guess personal preference rules.

5. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

So should we sign a petition and send it to Chris Tomlin?

65 Champ Amp likes this.
  6. Ascension

Ascension Tele-Afflicted

LOVE CHRISTMAS MUSIC!!
    Been wanting to do a Christmas CD for years now and as a guitar player LOVE ROCKING ME SOME CAROLS!
    Example of an arrangement of mine we used a few years back for a Christmas party.
    https://app.box.com/shared/qim033vcxp
    Nice to play REAL MUSIC IN CHURCH FOR A CHANGE!!

7. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Would it do any good?

islander likes this.
  8. blille

blille Tele-Afflicted

You're right, we also have to send it to Hillsong and a few more

CAAD8N8, islander and mRtINY like this.
  9. ravindave_3600

ravindave_3600 Friend of Leo's

"Performance" vs "leadership". "Publishing rights" vs "Church needs".

10. GoldieLocks

GoldieLocks Tele-Afflicted

I protest even FURTHUR... stop trying to transition from one Christmas song into another. Just play them clearly so people can sing. (nothing more evil than a christmas medley).:mad:

11. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Huh. I have never understood why we even do Christmas music in church - with few exceptions, I find them to be lacking as songs that draw people closer to God. Instead, people tune out, and sing out of tune, for the duration. When I lead Christmas Eve, it will be mostly standard worship songs, with the "required" O Holy Night, Michael Card's Immanuel, and Silent Night at the end for the candlelighting portion of the service.

As for the Tomlinizing of them, I am all for it. But I feel the same way about hymns that he does, too. Different strokes, I guess.

12. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I really appreciate that our WL will blend a Christmas song with a modern worship song, instead of doing one of the new versions that adds lyrics. For example, "O Holy Night" & "Great Are You Lord" are both in 6/8, so it's easy to do a verse of the traditional Christmas song followed by the chorus of the modern song. No one is learning any brand new lines, there really isn't a break on the flow of the old song, it's a win/win in my opinion.

I have nothing against remakes of old songs with the addition of a new line, but it can confuse people, especially since they may only hear it once a year.

13. mRtINY

mRtINY Tele-Afflicted

Well, in a liturgical church, there is advent and christmas and they ought not be mixed:

O Come O Come Emanuel
    O Come thou long expected Jesus
    Gabriel's Message (The Angel Gabriel came)
    As the Deer
    In the bleak mid-winter

On Christmas and for almost 2 weeks, we get to sing:

Away in a Manger
    O little town of Bethlehem
    God Rest ye, Merry Gentlemen
    The First Noel
    Hark the Herald Angels sing....

It's a celebration of God's appearance in meat on the earth. Not just another Sunday... but, thoughts on it vary.

ravindave_3600 likes this.
  14. Jhengsman

Jhengsman Tele-Holic

The once a year factor was my main complaint of doing a Tomlin or Baloche song with a Christmas lyric or mixed in verse. When we were being asked for Christmas songs members of the congregation afterwards came up and asked if we would play Christmas songs the next week.

It may have worked for The Amazing Grace soundtrack, but that was not a one off song for the year. Week after week adding a chorus to a song without one got hammered in to the point that many are sitting waiting for "my chains are gone" chorus to kick in.

15. Alexpapasitoguapo

Alexpapasitoguapo TDPRI Member

It's almost April and I'm still listening to songs like happy Xmas by lennon and all I want for Christmas is you by Mariah carey

blille likes this.
  16. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Holic

He's the last person who would care what we think.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.