Can't quit smoking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Sep 13, 2018.

1. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Meister

I quit smoking thirteen years ago, haven't had a smoke since so I consider it definite.

Before that I "quit" a couple of times, longest time for two-three months.

What finally did the trick for me was that I decided I couldn't by any cigarettes, not ask anyone for one and so on. The only way I could have a cigarette was to pick up a discarded one from the ashtray and light it.

I actually did that a couple of times, before I told myself what a degraded addict I was, and finally couldn't do it no more...

RoCkstAr256 and haggardfan1 like this.
  2. voodoostation

voodoostation Friend of Leo's

"Started" smoking at age 5, with a friend on the playground, smoking old butts. Didn't really start smoking until senior year high school, then straight out after I joined the Navy. Chewed tobacco and dipped snuff occassionally in my youth. Quit seriously after I got out of the Navy, gained about 70 lbs. That sucked. Was doing good until I had a death in the family and the stress and the long drive in the middle of the night to get there got me again.
    Quit the first time using lozenges and sunflowers seeds. Tried again, many times, wouldn't take. Wife quit and started vaping. A year after her, when I got tired of coughing myself awake in the wee hours of the morning and missing the taste of food, I took up vaping. I enjoyed smoking, I disliked the smell, the taste on my tongue, the lack of breath and the persistent cough. The first six months of vaping was all tobacco flavored juice. For the next 3 years I would have the rare cig when out drinking. Haven't had one now in a year.
    I do love the flavored juices, after all, variety is the spice of life. Did 50/50 for a good throat hit, but have backed that down to 60/40 now. Run 24mg nicotine, because I despised the brain fog I got when I actually quit. I still enjoy that little buzz first thing in the a.m., but I can breathe, I can taste and my clothes and house smell like raspberry cheesecake now. I can inhale, hold it, then release without a vapor cloud showing. Comes in handy in some establishments.
    I can't see vaping as a gateway to actual smoking. The shock of going from creme brulee vapor to burnt dog crap is a pretty good turn off. Not buying the corner market vials of God-knows-what for juice and finding a reputable supplier makes all the difference. I enjoy a good buzz, not a full fledged stone like Wildwood Weed'll get you, but the little boost you used to get from a higher octane fuel.
    I think my biggest problem when quitting was the loss of the hand to mouth action. That was where the sunflower seeds came in the first time. Breaking that response seems to be really difficult. When you take that away, something is needed to fill that void. Flipping people off only worked briefly. Having something else to occupy that little action makes a big difference. Hell, I still slap my shirt pocket for a pack and/or a lighter. I had a friend who said heroin was easier to quit than cigarettes. She finally started vaping.
    I feel for you guys who have stopped or are trying. It's a bad habit, for sure. It's not immature, it's ingrained. It's not disgraceful, it's distasteful. It's not shameful, it's marketable. Having been one, I won't knock one. I wish all you trying to quit the best in your endeavor(s). It ain't easy. However you finally do it, excepting death, we're all rooting for ya.

3. Dean James

Dean James Tele-Meister

Addiction seems to usually be the same in structure & process. It's a context of its own. The particular substance or behavior involved doesn't seem to matter much.

I was addicted to tobacco for over twenty years. Most of that time I was smoking a pack a day of unfiltered Camels. Also Marlboros, Kools, Winstons, Old Golds, Newports, Mores, Gauloises, Sher–Bidis... The heaviest cigarettes I ever smoked were unfiltered Kools.

I quit in my upper thirties. I had tried many times before. What finally worked for me was I arrived at a mental place where I sincerely desired to quit. I don't think it can be faked, but it can be worked toward & arrived at. Without something like that, quitting an addiction is much more difficult.

It's odd, what brought me to that place. At the time, I worked on the 54th floor of a big glass office building. They were about to go smoke–free. I didn't want the hassle of periodically elevatoring down to join the huddled group of smokers puffing away outside the door, then back up again.

It seems, in my case, the presence of powerful motivators like sloth & vanity helps.

4. Teleposer

Teleposer Tele-Holic

It's true. A terrible addiction. What's not to love? You spend absolute mug punter amounts of money on it. Like, feed yourself for a week or smoke yourself to death for a day, kind of equivalency. Hard decision. You might as well have a crack or heroin habit really. Terrible.

It makes you smell nice. Like an ashtray. Gives you nice breath. Best one is when you stink up a whole store after getting out of your car after sitting in it for 7 hours. Watching people make way for you while they try not to puke. Always a good look.

Plus, socially, it makes you look sophisticated. Having a 'fag' in your hand is always impressive. It shows that you are down with the cool kids. Those other kids just don't know where it's at. Hey daddio, it's the 21st Century and everybody smokes.

A terrible addiction. It has taken over your soul. No way out. The devil has a grip on you now.

Worse than alcohol. Oh yeah. Much worse. I mean, you can die from the DT's from alcohol withdrawal. And of course, what could be worse than death?

Enough sarcasm.

No one ever died from giving up the fags. Plenty do from alcohol. Poor comparison. In fact, you can give up Heroin and opiates easier than alcohol. 8 days cold turkey and you are good. It takes weeks and months to come of alcohol - much worse. It takes you a few days to give up fags.

But keep at it. The best part? It gives you cancer. In high doses. You might even end up being one of those mugs on the cancer ward nipping out for a 'fag'. The nurses won't care. You are about to die a horrific death in 8 days, might as well have some fun eh?

It's always a good look. It's always a good smell.

I've seen members of my family with cancer keep on smoking. And I've seen members of my family who never smoked have tumors the size of basketballs on their back, die young. And I've traversed the cancer wards with pretty pale young things that just hold a mirror up in front of their face that says: "Why me? Why now? I had so much life to live".

Of course they don't all smoke. But a lot do. And sooner or later it catches up with you. At least if you get cancer from alcohol you had some fun along the way.

But being a social leper? Smelling like an ashtray? Looking like a fool? So needy? So oblivious to the social opprobrium around you? Go for it!

Many people who smoke don't realise just how absolutely repulsive it is on every level. People will not do business with you. Will not want to be friends with you. Will not want to have sex with you or know you in a romantic form. It marks you out as a special kind of loser. The kind of loser that can't see what kind of loser he/she is.

So keep up your terrible terrible addiction, poor poor victim you.

Why not post about it on a public forum for a bit of extra masochism? Looking for social approval? Looking for others to reinforce your weakness? Looking for an excuse?

No?

Why you must be looking to make a total spectacle of yourself then. I know I'm impressed.

Get yourself down to the cancer ward. Anyone can walk in. Check out the old ones, check out the middle aged ones. Check out the young ones.

Check out that look on their face. Why me?

Yes, a terrible terrible addiction.

You can give up nicotine in less than seven days with out an aid. It is not that addictive. A whole industry has been built up to make you believe it is. Because you are weak. And you are gullible.

Tell you what, get an addiction to alcohol and see how easy you can give that up. Not as easy as to give up your heroin addiction is it?

You need to be healthy to smoke cigarettes. Plenty people are. Till they end up on the cancer ward. Then it's "Why me?".

This was a public service announcement. Don't take it too personally. Who knows, maybe it might wake you up a bit. If it doesn't, get a heroin habit, or an alcohol addiction, then come back and report in 6 weeks.

muudcat likes this.
  5. Guitandanza

Guitandanza Tele-Meister

I didn’t think you could coerce peeps to not smoke in bars, even though I hated the smell in my clothes and I was an occasional smoker. It’s much better now. I resent working most of my career in The Second Hand Smoke Republic. Also, the areas designated for smokers nowadays are not very appealing, even if there was no smoking going on there.

6. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

pipethemike likes this.
  7. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

Alright, I'm in.

I smoked from seventh or eighth grade till I got engaged the first time at age 21. Started back TWENTY YEARS later, in 2005. My mother died of lung cancer; what the hell is wrong with me?

Anyway, I smoked my last one Friday evening. The mindset is there, and I've tried to change up my routines to not include smoking. I was only up to a pack or two a week--but still, any smoking is too much. Tobacco, anyway.

Yesterday, full day two, was the day I looked through all my dresser drawers, and practically tore the carpet out of my truck to see if I might have dropped one. I know if I bum one, I'll feel awful AND I'll buy a pack...and if I buy a pack even without bumming one from Ashley's family, it's all starting over. And I really don't want to reset that withdrawal timer this time around.

Wish me luck, prayers, whatever you've got. This is tough, I'm not going to lie. I feel as if I've lost a close friend.

P Thought, muudcat and Alamo like this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

You can either quit smoking...or smoking will quit you.

Your call

RoCkstAr256, fasteddie42 and 7171551 like this.
  9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Everyone quits smoking eventually. Even the diehards.

fasteddie42, Chud and 7171551 like this.
  10. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

After being disabled for about 10 years from having a triple bypass, bladder cancer and colon cancer my dad finally quit smoking at 61 a couple of days before his funeral. That was 28 years ago. He never saw one of his grandsons and didn't see either one grow up.

11. pipethemike

pipethemike TDPRI Member

...the drink bone is connected to the smoke bone, the smoke bone is connected to the drink bone...

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I know this is going to sound bad, especially since I used to smoke and no longer do, but I always wished I would have gone over to my son's house and took the oxygen bottles outside and let him have one last smoke. He was sorely addicted, and I'm not sure he ever tried to stop he enjoyed it so much. He might have tried to quite, but I don't recall it. Once you get to death's door, I don't expect one last smoke was gonna matter.

One time when he could still walk, my son got some money he had stashed away, and sneaked out of the house and rode a three wheel bicycle to the store and bought him some smokes and enjoyed a few of them before they caught up with him. Man, the things people do to you in the name of helping you.

pipethemike likes this.
  13. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

After my mom was diagnosed, and had had a lung removed, she still used to smoke in the bathroom of my stepfather's house, like no one was going to know. She put several burns on the windowsill, not to mention the smell you can't immediately get rid of. I considered it pathetic, only because I wasn't smoking at the time.

My grandmother (mom's mother) was a cancer patient as well. She, quite the opposite, quit the day she found out and never looked back. I was really proud of her, not that it did any good in the long run.

I agree with the posters above who say it's a worse addiction than alcohol. There are plenty of occasions when I didn't feel like drinking; but I could always find a reason to smoke.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    william tele and Toto'sDad like this.
  14. kuvash

kuvash Tele-Afflicted

What do they look like (the package.please)?

15. muudcat

muudcat Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

try substituting a positive addiction for your negative addiction and stay away from the "trigger" impulse situations for a while. When I quit 50 years a go I asked my self " when would I really want a cig" and it was of course, drinking, so I went with friends to a bar and got hammered but kept my focus and determination to quit. The next day I felt empowered and never smoked tobacco again, although I do smoke some other thing once in a while;)

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

No one in my family smokes. My Dad did, but quit when I was born. He said he'd carry one cigarette in his pocket, just to give him some security, but never lit it. Most of my early friends didn't smoke, though a few did. Most who did are dead now. One, who's a bit younger than me, I saw recently after some 20 years, and he's still smoking. Only time I tried one was when hiking a buddy who was smoking wasn't getting attacked by mosquitoes at dusk, so I asked for one. God that was awful! I did smoke the funny stuff back in the day, but stopped that decades ago and it was never an addiction. No desire for it now either.

I wish OP and everyone luck, as it does seem like one of the worst addictions to kick, especially if you start young.

17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I quit smoking a while back, maybe 2 years. I got the urge again recently and bought an e cig instead of smokes. I'm enjoying it and it's cheaper.

18. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Let me tell you something bud, I was smoking at 27 like you. And for quite a number of years. It is hard for you to fathom this, but at 53 I am freakin pissed off that I have to deal with high blood pressure while my buds I used to whip ass on while mountainbiking in the 90s are in relatively good health. I am here to tell you that smoking long term sucks. You never think about 20 years in the future, but when you have hardened arteries and have to take 3 different pills to keep your BP down to avoid having a stroke, when your buds who never smoked are all still healthy at 53, you will ask yourself 20 years later, "was it worth it?".

No it's not. I am here to tell you that it is not. It sucks. Being cool and smoking cigs sucks ass and I could have enjoyed everything I did in my 20s and 30s without cigarettes. Give it up and don't ever go back! Or be prepared to deal with health issues as a 50year old and be bummed about it. Not to mention, you better hope you don't get lung cancer.

Good luck.

7171551, RoCkstAr256 and 1293 like this.
  19. Frontman

Frontman Tele-Holic

I remember when my grandmother quit. She had been diagnosed with cancer, and was told she had 3 months to live.

She underwent major surgery, chemo, and radiation. Besides quitting smoking, she stopped drinking, and watched her diet.

She lived another 20 years, and died in her sleep.

20. thesamhill

thesamhill Tele-Holic

Another voice of support. I quit a while ago. Most of what I found has already been said.

I found that pain, strong sensation, and shocks to the system helped get through craving sometimes.

- Order a bunch of tea tree oil toothpicks, they helped by making my mouth feel like it was burning
    - take Fisherman's Friend cough drops- kind of strong and don't taste great so they are a good sub for cigs (plus will help with cough)
    - Put a rubber band on your arm and snap it on your arm or roll it and feel the arm hairs yanking out
    - mess with yellow jackets (just kidding ,I never did that)
    - drink super strong coffee (decaf if you don't want the caffeine- long as it's gnarly strong)
    - step outside in a t shirt when it's freezing out

Pretty much anything that knocked me out of that craving mindset for the three or so minutes it took to pass.

Along with all the other good advice here.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.