Can't quit smoking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Sep 13, 2018.

1. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I used Chantix and it was a pure blessing...

I also used these words to help me when I thought I wanted to cheat:

I'd smoked my mind the night before
    With cigarettes and the songs I'd been pickin'
    But I lit my first and watched a small kid
    Playin' with a can that he was kicking

soulgeezer likes this.
  2. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I quit smoking in 1988, I quit booze in 1997. I didn't use any kind of program I just stopped. I'm not any different than anyone else, if I can quit anyone can. I smoked at least two, and sometimes three packs of cigarettes a day. I bought booze in those bottles with the handles on 'em. So it's not like I was seriously hooked on either, but you know, I kind of had a drinking and smoking problem.

You could quit if your life depended on it, and it does.

3. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I was leery of trying Chantix - I have a history of depression and the warnings about suicidal thoughts put me right off.

My doctor prescribed Wellbutrin because that also kills the urge to smoke, and that worked. But a side effect was that I started withdrawing socially - when I look at photos of myself while I was taking it, I could see it on my face. I was starting to disappear.

But even after I stopped taking the Wellbutrin, my urge to smoke was considerably weaker. I think that set the stage for my getting the vape and stop buying smokes altogether.

- D

4. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I also have depression issues and a history of seizure disorders, and Chantix - ironically an anti-depressant! - sent me straight into sexual dysfunction and serious risk of suicide territory. This was before that warning was included on the box. I know my doctor reported my response, so I may actually be part of the reason that warning is on there now.

If you decide to try Chantix, do it under very strict doctor's supervision.

StrangerNY likes this.
  5. Ripradiant

Ripradiant Tele-Afflicted

All good points. Though I see where you r going with the "in theory" bit ... for me that provides too much wiggle room and an excuse for those who cant bring themselves to quit!
    Ultimately if one has made a decision to quit then you gotta walk the talk... even though it might be tough.

7171551 likes this.
  6. chiefline

chiefline Tele-Holic

Free Country? So I’m free to smoke cigarettes and get cancer but I can’t drive my car around the block without a seatbelt and not get fined because they want me to be safe. Lets face it their for anything that makes them money

Toto'sDad likes this.
  7. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

A preacher upon preaching his first sermon in his new church in a small town in Kentucky preached on the ills of drinking alcohol. After church that day, the elders surrounded him and told him in no uncertain terms many of the parishioners worked at distilleries in the area and to not mention alcohol again. Next week, he preached on the evil of tobacco. Once again, the elders told him that he simply could not preach on tobacco because he would surely offend those who worked in the tobacco industry who attended church there.

The next week, he solemnly preached a successful sermon on the ills of jay walking in an unincorporated township. The elders wholeheartedly approved of his message, as did the members of the church. He had attained success as a minister in only three sermons in his new church.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    telleutelleme likes this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

Alcohol and tobacco are different addictions with different manifestations. I never had withdrawl from alcohol but I had a real dependence on it. It took almost a year before I was sure that I'd never have another drink. I had withdrawl when I stopped smoking. The cravings were real and very discomforting. When I smoked, I couldn't go more than an hour without a cigarette without cravings setting in. What prompted me to quit was returning from a trip where I went hiking in Kings Canyon Natl Park. I saw the don't drink the water signs but was thirsty and gave in to impulse. I got sick on the return flight and had it coming out of every orifice in colors. That lasted three days. I didn't smoke those three days and it dawned on my that that's what the end would be like if I died of cancer. That was sufficient motivation to not pick up another cigarette. The cravings ended after about a week and I never went back.

JayFreddy likes this.
  9. Average_Joe

Average_Joe Tele-Meister

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

let's go back to the good old days!

11. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

Some are physically affected worse than others following the last cig.

Both times when I quit after thousands of cigs, no withdrawals, shakes or other stuff. Zero! I've seen others really torn up after putting them down whether weaning down to 3-5/per day or not.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I used to handle personal injury cases, people who got disabled, disfigured and etc. in wrecks. Even though it was against the law to be unbelted in the front seat, they still often openly admitted they just wouldn't wear a belt. Prosecution for such things is so uncommon in Louisiana . It actually COSTS most court systems more money to process such tickets, than they take in in fines.

So, you're saying getting a ticket you can pay out of your pocket, is on par with getting emphysema?

Even though they don't use it much, I think the seatbelt law in Louisiana is kinda neat. (I helped write it). :^)

13. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Hesitated on the reference... oh well, not bad if cooked first :)

14. johnnyb128

johnnyb128 TDPRI Member

After trying the patch and gum I found that the nicotine lozenges worked for me. I haven't smoked in over 10 years HOWEVER I am totally addicted to the lozenges. The nicotine gum worked pretty well too but it made my jaw hurt. I believe that the gum and lozenge worked best because they both leave a semi-burning sensation in your throat that is similar to taking a drag off a cig. Additionally, not the tiny lozenges, those don't last long enough. It must be the larger kind, specifically Nicorette brand, not the cheap Wal-mart kind which also don't last long.

I actually did quit the lozenges for a short time, about a month, but went with friends to an outdoor concert, drank too much, and "borrowed" one from a friend who had quit. That put me right back to where I started.

Either way, I would rather be addicted to the lozenges which do not kill you than the cigs which are assured death.

soulgeezer likes this.
  15. Colaiza1965

Colaiza1965 Tele-Meister

As a Hispanic, smoking is embedded in the culture. I quit after 35+ years on 8/1/18 and I'm bever going back. Reduced qty until down to 1 or 2 ciggs a day then just did it. No gum or vaping. You have to really want to do it

chiefline likes this.
  16. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

I was doing pretty good with the vape and then i found a source of really cheap cigs that I like. Gotta try again soon. I know if i was still drinking I wouldn't have a chance.

17. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

It seems that here in the USA, smoking has largely become a low class-related thing. You almost never see people in the higher income classes smoking.

And when you do see a smoker, they seem to always be among the low income/low success crowd.

Of course, there certainly are exceptions. But overall, it sure looks this way by what I've observed.

People who are striving to succeed and those who have "arrived" seem to be more interested in their health and well-being. And those who have given up striving, or never did strive for success at all, seem to be more prone to be smokers.

It is largely a class thing in the USA. And, smoking is one of the worst things you can possibly do to your body.

I look forward to the day when almost nobody smokes. It's a terribly self-destructive thing to do.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    BigDaddyLH and JayFreddy like this.
  18. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Every person is different. And every quit is different.

People who say, "I did it, so you can too...", might be technically accurate, but that isn't how nicotine works.

Of the 4 times I quit, two times were fairly easy, and twice it felt like having the flu.

The last time, going on 9 years now, I felt like I had the flu for four days.

The ease of quitting the other times might be why I wasn't afraid to go back to it.

The last time was horrible.

I'm still addicted to nicotine, I'm just not actively putting in my body any more.

I'm glad I was able to quit before vaping became popular.

I have a feeling that if I had started vaping, I'd still be hooked on nicotine today.

19. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

I was born in 1950. I smoked from 1968 to about 1980, from age 18 to age 30. 12 years.

In 2003, when I was 53, I was diagnosed with Grade 1 bladder cancer, 3 small spots, which was caused by smoking, which I had not done for 23 years. Fortunately, I was quickly cured in 2003 by laser treatment, and now, 15 years later, I am still free of the cancer.

QUIT AS SOON AS YOU CAN.

SMOKING IS FOR LOSERS! Remind yourself of that fact whenever you think about lighting one up!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    brookdalebill likes this.
  20. nickyboy

nickyboy TDPRI Member

Vape. I've been off the cigarettes for 4 years thanks to vaping.

Alamo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.