Can't quit smoking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Sep 13, 2018.

1. ozcal

ozcal Tele-Holic

try australia... it s more than double that

2. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Not exactly true. Every member of my band smokes. Three of them are business owners and very well off. One is a high-ranking corporate type.

I'm the outlier: I make less than any of them (they're all upper-middle class, which seems like rich to me, while I'm lower middle-class by most standards, especially here in very expensive NJ) and I don't smoke (anymore).

So, it's also an age thing, I think. We're all in our late-50s. I only quit because of the price and the fear of a long, drawn-out, painful death, like my father and his father suffered.

voodoostation and BigDaddyLH like this.
  3. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Of all the substances I've left behind, (and it's not a particularly short list...) cigarettes were far and away the most difficult.

El Duderino, nojazzhere and JayFreddy like this.
  4. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

From 3 packs a day to no packs a day in less than 2 hours hypnosis

5. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

I’ll pray that you can some day. I saw lung cancer take my father when I was only 10. It took my stepfather too about 5 years back. I wouldn’t wish ANY kind of cancer on anyone. So I hope the damage isn’t already done and I’ll pray you are able to quit some day before it’s too late. I’ve only witnessed it from a spectator point of view, not a participator point of view... so I can only imagine how hard it must be to quit. I hope you can!

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Http://www.WhyQuit.com

It's free and it helped me.

I smoked for 30 years. I quit 4x. The last time it stuck.

The first time I quit for a year. Quit #2 lasted 6 months. Quit #3 lasted only 2 months.

My last quit was 9 years ago.

Unlike a lot of ex-smokers, I still like the aroma of cigarette smoke.

That's how I know I can never take another puff. I'd be back to a pack day instantly.

Keep quitting... Eventually it will stick.

And seriously... Check out http://www.WhyQuit.com.

voodoostation, don71 and StrangerNY like this.
  7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

right now, google up "emphysema lung pictures"

like this:

Screen Shot 2018-09-13 at 4.50.33 PM.png

your lungs should be nice and pink, not like the ones above clogged with carbon deposits and tar

you got yourself into this, and you can get yourself out

8. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Roll up the nicotine patches and smoke them. They have to be better for you than cigarettes.

RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  9. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Keep quittin'. I must've quit 30 times, once for more than a year and another time for 6 months or so, before it stuck. It's been more than 20 years now since I smoked a cigarette. It doesn't bother me any more, but I know I still have to guard against relapse.

One of my most successful quits (didn't last, though), I made an ashtray out of a big coffee can, and saved all my butts in it. Carried it around with me. After a while that got pretty gross, and I picked a date and stopped. I think that was the time my quit lasted a year.

Quit, quit, and quit again. You'll get it.

Jimmy Owen, Nickadermis and JayFreddy like this.
  10. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

You seem to be disgusted by your own addiction which might be a good start to follow up on.
    perhaps reading Allen Carr's book "the easy way to stop smoking" can lead you further in that direction.
    https://www.theeasywaytostopsmoking.com/Book

I quit smoking nine or ten years ago, I think, started vaping and still enjoy it today.
    not a single cigarette since day one.

good luck
    you can do it.

11. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister

Not a smoker, but I did quit drinking 3 months ago. I will not start back. My 4 year old son convinced me it was time to put all that behind me. I'm done and I'm happier for it.

You can't quit until you've really made up your mind...And I mean really made up your mind.

Nickadermis and RoCkstAr256 like this.
  12. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Every time I hear Europeans joking about fat Americans I always yell back “oh yeah ? Well I was skinny as a rail when I smoked !”

Hardest thing I ever did. Way harder than quitting other stuff.

Tiny number compared to 40 years ago.

Anecdotes aside, smokers today are overwhelmingly undereducated and far closer to the poverty level than non-smokers. They market to that demographic. A buddy worked in marketing in the Carolinas and 90% of his biz was tobacco and he told me one day “trust me - you don’t want to be in that group and I’m (meaning he) am embarrassed to still be a smoker and be lumped in with that crowd.”

He still smokes...

Jimmy Owen and nojazzhere like this.
  13. buster poser

buster poser Tele-Holic

might try e-cigarettes

i still vape from time to time, but honestly, you'll avoid doing it in public out of pure shame, and if it's supposed bad for you... your lungs will immediately wonder how on earth that can be true.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

P Thought likes this.
  15. 5ofeight

5ofeight Tele-Holic

40+ years i smoked for, finally managed to quit about 4 years ago. its a long hard slog but when your body and mind have had enough it is do'able..£10 a pact here, ($13.11 cents American, $17,03 canadian and 11.21 euro equivalent)..tbh I cant afford the cost and would rather put the money towards a day out ..

voodoostation likes this.
  16. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

This also basically makes cigarette taxes a tax on the poor (hopefully I'm not crossing the line by saying that).

Mase, cnlbb, P Thought and 1 other person like this.
  17. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

I quit for 47 days . It took ten years for me to quit again and that was 20 years ago .
    I know if I ever have another cigarette that I will never quit again .
    You CAN quit when you are ready to .

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Like lottery tickets.

19. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Me too. But down to 5 day after 45 yrs or so of it. Someday. Maybe hypnotists or other.

20. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I'll be blunt. When I was 40, I had smoked for 20 years, I kissed a young woman behind Demon Dogs in Chicago. She went "yuck," and peeled out on her motorcycle. Called the next day to reiterate how gross it was to kiss a smoker.

That night, I went out with another woman, and pulled the same stunt with the same outcome.

Huge problem, all of a sudden. On Sunday, I thought to myself, "I can quit right now." Not later, not soon, but now and only now. So I immediately starting washing everything multiple times and threw out all smoking implements and accessories. By divesting myself of maybe $25 worth of smoking supplies, which was a lot of money to me then, I figured that I wouldn't want to blow it and have to spend a bunch of cash again. Also, by washing, washing, washing sheets, clothes, etc., I had put in enough work that I didn't want to just throw it away by having another cig. I also took several showers a day.

The next day, I told everyone that I was quitting, including my students. I told them to cut me some slack for the next week or two. I resigned myself to having a miserable time, and made sure my peeps knew why.

The kissing situation was a new and unexpected development. Usually, non-smokers just rolled with whatever a smoking partner does. But suddenly, stores and offices are banning smoking, and the act itself became increasingly the action of lower-class citizens.

Social pressure, then, was the motivator for me. I never went back to smoking. I had heard bazillions of stories of people who had quit months earlier, then had one in a bar, and became re-hooked. So, I had hammered it into my head that I must never, ever, have even one puff off a cig. I succeeded, but had many dreams in which I had given in to the urge to smoke again.

BTW, I got the romantic moves straightened out and had a really good time after that. Still having a really good time, as my wife would not have given me the time of day when I smoked.

If anyone is mulling over the decision to quit, just let it be known that quitting smoking = more sex. Period. I am not exactly saying that people who don't want to quit don't want sex, but it's a thought. Just kidding about this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.