Can't quit smoking

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by RoCkstAr256, Sep 13, 2018.

1. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

This is kinda sad, lots of musicians i have played with did smoke. Same witch alcochol, they do drink a lot so do i. It is hard to play with them

2. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

It's not at all rare here. Some people smoke, and some people don't. It's true, though, that fewer smoke than when I was a kid in the fifties and sixties.

One big difference difference is that people here don't smoke indoors as much as people in a lot of other countries do. They go outside. Where I live, it's illegal to smoke in public places like restaurants or banks or offices or stores. So smokers have to go outside.

And a lot of people don't smoke in their homes. They go outside to the street or yard or porch or patio instead. That way, their homes don't stink and so they won't make non-smokers (like their children) sick.

I took an overnight ferry from Brindisi, Italy, to Patras, Greece, once. It was like traveling in a floating tuberculosis ward. People smoked and hacked all night long. No windows. Just a ship full of smoke and noisy coughing.

Oh, well. It must be fun, or folks wouldn't do it!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    RoCkstAr256 likes this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It's an interesting question that begs for data over observation -- I don't know anyone who smokes, for example.

First google hit: https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/08/cdc-says-smoking-rates-fall-to-record-low-in-us.html

An estimated 14 percent of adults in the U.S., or 34.3 million people, smoked cigarettes in 2017, down from 15.5 percent in 2016, according to the CDC. This historic low represents a 67 percent decline from 1965, when the National Health Interview Survey started tracking the figure and 42.4 percent of adults smoked cigarettes.​

That was 2017. I suspect it is a percent or two lower in 2019. I'm using numbers and avoiding vague terms like "rare".

4. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Holic

Some years ago I worked at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston.
    At one point I was helping with a smoking cessation program. It was a popular program.
    The hospital (which covers multiple city blocks) was Hard Arse about smoking on the hospital's property. As in, don't even think about it. Smokers had to walk a good ways (blocks) to find a place to smoke.

Mark

5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Says the guy with a tobacco ad for an avatar!

But seriously, it looks like we agree on all three points:

1. We agree that some Americans smoke - 14% - and some don't - 86%.

2. We also agree that 14% isn't "rare." If it were, then left-handed people, gays, African Americans, Hispanic Amercans, and blondes would be rare (all make up less than 14% of the US population), and I don't think many of us think of any of those traits as unusual.

Likewise, I've been surrounded by smokers all my life and can't imagine not knowing any. How did you manage it? Count yourself among the lucky!

3. And yup, as I also said, the US has fewer smokers these days. That's why the industry has shifted so much of its investment into (a) sales in other countries (like Poland) and (b) vapes and e-cigarettes - whose use, unlike cigarettes, is on the rapid rise.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    BigDaddyLH likes this.
  6. dickey

dickey Tele-Afflicted

Smoking killed my Mom & Dad.
    I'm sure glad I never started, although I DID smoke a pipe in Jr. High School.
    I can't even smoke doob anymore; makes me sick as a dog. Same as drinking. I get silly,I eat everything in sight, I puke, then fall asleep.
    Seems like many more Europeans smoke than Americans. I guess if I lived in Europe, I'd smoke too. And drink.

7. Kristo

Kristo TDPRI Member

Just wait until you get a chest xray and your doctor tells you you have a dark spot on your lung and you need another xray in 3 months to see if the dark spot gets any larger.

8. ladave

ladave Tele-Holic

Try again. I tried and failed several times before I finally quit at 30.

It's not that hard actually...that's part of the lie that cigarette companies want you to believe.

9. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

My experience here in the US also tells me it's a "class" thing these days. I 57, grew up lower middle class and plenty of people smoked, my parents and most friends parents did. Couple of my brothers did. People smoked everywhere back in the 60s and 70s. Restaurants, airplanes, department stores, everywhere. These days I personally know nobody that smokes although my son vapes. I hardly ever even see anyone smoking other than the odd person in a car. My wife is Bulgarian and my youngest daughter travels to Europe a couple of times a year for gymnastics competitions and it's totally different there. So many young people smoking wherever we go. My wife and I got together with a bunch of college friends a couple of years ago, probably 15 people. Every one of the women except my wife, all late 30s and very attractive, were smokers. We sat for probably 3 hours socializing and most of them went through close to a pack each. Same in restaurants, at least the outdoor ones which are prevalent. Not only Bulgaria either, we travel to Croatia, Estonia, Spain, etc. Same thing everywhere.

10. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

There are hospitals around my area that won't hire you if you use any tobacco products. Years ago the CEO of the hospital I worked at would bum cigarettes all the time. Doctors would smoke on rounds. Employees would smoke on the job. Then a smoking hut was built. Then, no smoking period. Progress.

kingofdogs1950 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.