Can't play my strat anymore, it just pales next to my 69 thinline

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by fender4life, Aug 5, 2020.

1. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I got into teles about 10 years ago. Before that i was strats only since i guess about late 70s or 80. I'd buy a tele every now and then but sell it quick because i just liked strats so much more. When i got into teles to where i finally "got it", i went thru about 7 or 8 of them and the last one i sold was about a month ago, a really nice classic vibe 50s.There were times all i wanted to play are my teles but then i'd switch up and be into starts for a while. Back and fourth over and over. But then i got the MIM 69 thinline FSR CAR i did a NGD a while back. This one is different.

I switched back and fourth between strats and teles for about the last decade because i found them reasonably similar in girth, so switching wasn't a radical change. But with the thinline things are different. The strat sounds so tinny and puny compared to this tele that i can't stand my strat anymore. Every time i pick it up i think how did i ever play strats all those years? I have a huge parts box full of parts from decades of tweaking and for the last week i have been swapping out bridges and blocks, saddle, pickups, all sorts of stuff trying to fatten it up. But it finally hit me it ain't gonna happen because this thinline is so big sounding, more then my other teles.

I'm a bit sad about this because while i am perfectly happy playing just the thinline and my LP P90 special on occasion, i know i cannot ever be W/0 a strat. II just have too much history with them. But at the same time i don't know if i can ever play it anymore. Compared to the tele it sounds like it's strung with all plain strings. I never felt this way with my other teles, 3 of which were also MIM classic series tho solid bodies. On the bright side this tele is my fav to date. And it's the only one that makes a strat sound so tiny ! Anyone else have a 69TL that spoke to them so much?

2. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Friend of Leo's

I find I go through years long phases with a guitar type. I wouldn't stress about it.

Just the honey moon period of your latest guitar, one that happens to press a few of the right buttons.

Keep the strat aside, it'll likely come back in to your "fashion". I used to sell mine off and finally recognised the pattern. I still buy and sell a bit but keep the good ones (by type) now.

I know at some point a song will come up that will kick off the gretsch or strat bug again...(LP, Tele) etc.

koopus and pi like this.
  3. fender4life

Maybe, but never in the past have i had this happen where another guitar sounded much fuller and bigger to the point my strat sounds unusably thin by comparison. A LP, sure, but in a different way. The strat now sounds like a really tinny lousy tele. I may have to put some beefier M/N pups and go HSS again like i used to back in the day.

I know what u mean about the "pattern". I recognized that long ago too and would closet the ones i wasn't into for a time till thier day again came, but this is different. It's not just a matter of flavor of the day or month or months.

4. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire

'69 Thinline is an awesome Tele - I can see how that could take your mind off the Strat.

Teles DID relegate my once preferred choice of Strats to second tier, though I still love my Strats.

At this time, Teles outnumber my Strats 14 to 4, but it took me decades to "get" Teles - and now, Teles are close to my heart!

5. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

Pics or it didn't happen. I haven't seen alot of CAR thinlines...

ChickenKiller and nicknklv like this.
  6. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

Sounds completely reasonable to me.

El Marin likes this.
  7. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

I experienced the same, playing /gigging for 40 years using Strats & Gibson Les Pauls. I never owned or thought I would ever pick up a Tele! They never appealedto me ,then bought my first Tele ever three months ago (a cheap Bullet just to try one out where I could quickly sell if I didn't like it) But! I liked it so much, within weeks, I bought a MIM BSB with a black guard and a Squire Std.
    I have an all original 1974 Strat, I pick it up and play it for 5 minutes, say to myself nahh, and then put it away. Will probably end up selling the Strat one day

8. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Sell the strat, get another Thinline

I never could understand the strat thing

howardlo and 6String69 like this.
  9. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

A real good strat "pales" not next to any other good guitar.

Replace "strat" with any model you like.

WalthamMoosical likes this.
  10. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

Perhaps an eq pedal would help?

JL_LI likes this.
  11. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Meister

There's tele music and there's strat music, maybe you just prefer the thinline because you enjoy the music you're playing.

Strats aren't going anywhere soon, sell it, get another one later if you want.

12. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Tele-Meister

Or a better strat. Good strats never sound thinny. But 95% of them do.
    It's not the model, it's the individual quality.
    The world is flooded with thinny strats, that is true. But you can even play trad jazz on a good strat, because a good strat sounds fat. Only you have to select and be ready to spend some money. Talking about CS and small builders.

stnmtthw likes this.
  13. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

I'm one of the few guitarists I know who has never gone through a sustained strat phase.

I got my strat 8 years ago and it's a good guitar. I play it for fun sometimes, but when it comes down to business I almost always have a guitar that does the job better.

It has some sentimental value because I built it. Otherwise I would have moved it on long ago.

Unless I'm playing surf, it rarely has any sounds I need.

14. Stu Cazz

Stu Cazz TDPRI Member

Just try a good overdrive or a nice fuzz, does wonders with single coils. My MIM Standard Strat sounds nice on her own, but it's glorious with my Walrus Audio Janus in one of its clipping modes. Just low amount of fuzz on the pedal and the guitars volume knob at arond 8. Fat hairy clean almost like a well dialed in silicone Fuzz Face. An overdrive with a good eq could also help.

All that said, I prefere my Tele with 51 nocasters in it. Less complicated and naturally fatter. Nature of the beast, I guess!

15. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

No pic?

Sounds a bit like mine, but mine is a Thinline Deluxe...
    IMG_20180919_153356.jpg
    Also sounds great. These have a 4way switch so even more sonic options and I prefer the flatter neck than the classic series.

16. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

"blonde"

"trans am"

etc.

17. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Tele-Meister

I have a custom made hand built t-style with AV '64 pickups in it. I also have a CS Strat with SD Antiquity Surfers (custom bridge pickup). My t-style sounds thin and wimpy compared to that Strat...I hardly play the t-style anymore ;)

18. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My first Fender was a strat, wonderful experience. Then i got a Tele. Seldom picked up the strat again and finally sold it. For strat sounds now i have an Ibanez offset S style that gives me sounds and feel i like. Never tempted to try another Strat.

I would say hang onto your Strat. One day it might just be the thing. If not, let it go to someone who will enjoy it.

19. fender4life

It looks similar looking due to the color, but it's vintage spec. Theres a pic in the NGD post i did a while back.

20. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Now I am beginning to rethink that strat build I was considering. It's not that I need a strat, because I don't. It's more along the lines of just having one available in the arsenal, and having something available as a back-up (as if my Esquire, 335, & SG don't serve that purpose already).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.