Can't get out fine scratches and swirl

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by markw51, Aug 29, 2013.

1. markw51

markw51 Tele-Afflicted

I am having a hard time with this Highway One project I got myself into.

Using wet/dry sandpaper and wet sanded the orange peel down, finishing with 2000 grit, which still leaves tiny scratches and swirl.

Then I tried Turtle Wax rubbing compound and polish but there is no improvement.

Any idea what the problem is?

I've got some stuff called Guitar Scratch Remover on the way. If that doesn't work I don't know what else to do at this point.

Attached Files:

2. moleng1

moleng1 TDPRI Member

The guitar scratch remover will take that away no problem!! Just remember that you do need a little work to make it work, there's no such thing as a wipe on, wipe off cure for scratches.

I used it on my 52 reissue and it looks like new, and a few of the scratches were way worse than yours.

Good luck, and don't give up on the scratch remover, it'll work with some effort for sure.

3. mrkenny

mrkenny Former Member

I'm right up the road in Clarksburg. Call me at my shop 301-831-6228

4. ezas

ezas TDPRI Member

You can't go wrong with the combo below from Maguire's for polishing by hand. I found this combo when working on an acoustic with a soft finish and the 'kit' from Stew-Mac kept leaving scratches. It was literary turning into a nightmare. . .

It gives great results, and is VERY easy to use. The polish is VERY forgiving to technique. Seriously it can't be screwed up because of the diminishing abrasive they use.

From course to fine:

Ultimate Compound - only needed for new finishes, or when starting with a finish in bad shape.

Scratch X - for scratches you find after starting to polish out the compound, or for spot repairs in existing finishes.

Swirl X - The do-it-all polish (what I would choose if I could only have one polish on my shelf)

Color X - true polish/wax with abrasives

A12 Cleaner Wax - wax/polish with no abrasives.

Swirl X is an incredibly versatile polish. It will leave a wax free high gloss shine. It's the first thing I would reach for to restore a finish when I'm not trying to get out scratches but just want to rejuvenate the finish to a shine without the slipperiness of a wax.

A12 can be skipped unless you want a last protective layer of wax. Color X is a wax and will leave a wax shine.

Here is a good resource for navigating the bewildering array of products and how they compare across manufacturers.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.