1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can't Get My Kids To Turn It Down. Now The Neighbors Have Shut Them Down.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sax4blues, Feb 28, 2012.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Any rehearsal halls/studios a la Austin's Music Lab, in your town?
    It costs a little dough, but you can bash away, and they have PA's, mikes,
    etc.
    It's 30ish bucks for around 4 hours.
    Sweet deal, IMO.

2. czook

czook Tele-Afflicted

It is usually the bass and drums. The low sounds transmit through the ground and it is really annoying for neighbors, and not just close ones. All you hear from a distance is a really low but loud sound. Kinda like a punk sharing his sonic blaster sound system in a car a block away.

As a parent you are finally doing what is long in coming. Shut em down and I bet they find a new neighborhood to rumble. Now that the neighbors have turned into an organized mob, even the lower volume will piss them off. I lived a 1/4 mile from a car sound system shop and the bass pounded my house, especially in my basement where the sound came through the ground. There is nothing musical or pleasant about it.

3. domm

domm Tele-Meister

im a forty year old father of 3, but im with the kids on this one! music is supossed to be loud!! if u aint feeling the vibrations in ur feet its too quiete!

4. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Then the kids need to be payin the mortgage, utilities and food...until that happens they must abide by the rules of the one who does. end of story. :cool:

5. domm

domm Tele-Meister

my kids listen to my rules, that just aint one of them! on another note earplugs in enclosed spaces are a must.

6. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

This is why there are places for hire, what are they called, ah yes, rehearsal rooms.

7. czook

czook Tele-Afflicted

As the 'responsible' adult it will be you paying the fines and doing the time. The law is the law. I hate listening or being made to listen to someone elses loud music when I am in my own home.

I have never called the cops on anyone, but I certainly would let the offender know that I would if they don't stop, completely.

8. rcole_sooner

rcole_sooner Poster Extraordinaire

The before noon or after 6pm rule, does not always work.

Way back when, we got the cops called on us, by a cop who worked nights and was sleeping in the daytime.

We canvased the neighborhood to find out who it was. He was defensive at first, but we were very aplogetic (sp?) and eventually he came around. He told us when we could practice.

Also he said it was not the drums, but the bass guitar that carried through the "ground" and he could feel/hear it.

9. domm

domm Tele-Meister

kinda moot for me anyway cause i live in boston and have a rehersal spot. i guess my point is rock music is loud and should be. i have had a sticker on my marshall for 15 years that simply says "****** subtlety" to let soundmen know whats coming!

10. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Unfortunately for you and like-minded souls, the world is not your amphitheater.

11. stonemee

stonemee TDPRI Member

yup, there is a much cheaper option though... Buy all the neighbours some ear-plugs! :lol:

12. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

Each of us should realize that we all have different taste in music. That's O.K. as long as each of us respects our neighbors "space". For those that are RAWKIN OUT in the neighborhood, what would you do if I started playing Buckaroo (an old country instrumental) repetitively at full band volume that could be heard a block away??:lol::rolleyes: I am sure everyone in the neighborhood (even country music lovers) would complain! I would never do this, but my point is that teenagers have a "me" attitude. "What I like should take precident over what you like.":cool: The rest of us (?) have a "we" attitude and think more of what we all would like .:rolleyes::rolleyes:

13. bendecaster

bendecaster Friend of Leo's

sax4blues, I think you are lucky to have neighbors that will come to you and not call the police. As many have noted, it could have been worse if the authorities got involved. I also give you props for taking a stand on a difficult issue. Stick to your guns and I think the "noise boys" will get the idea.
    A pity that they won't do the digital kit and headphones idea though. You really can get great sound and beat 'til their hearts are content. I have a buddy that has a small rehearsal space with an acoustic kit filled with packing peanuts and completely triggered with those plastic-like cymbals, 2 guitar rigs and a bass rig with not a speaker in the room. Each mic stand has mixers that you can adjust everyones levels. It sounds great! One of the only times I came home from playing music without (more) ringing in my ears. I know it is different without a speaker to drive, but it really sounded awesome! It's obvious they have worked on this to a level of perfection. I must admit, it sounds funny outside the room: vocals and the muted sound like someone is beating on a stuffed cardboeard box, but man, put on a set of their headphones-WOW!
    I wish you luck with your situation.

14. TheRumRunner

TheRumRunner Tele-Afflicted

One day you'll look back at this time and a HUGE grin will come on your face - guaranteed

DW

15. domm

domm Tele-Meister

"Unfortunately for you and like-minded souls, the world is not your amphitheater"

ive actually never had neighbors complain even when i was a kid in the burbs, i am very considerate to my fellow humans.
    my suggestion is move them to the basement and sound proof it or have them jam some place else. loud music is what turns some folks on musically. definitly more so when young. more rules in music can make young uns loose interest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.