1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can't Get My Kids To Turn It Down. Now The Neighbors Have Shut Them Down.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sax4blues, Feb 28, 2012.

1. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

Just to be clear, I'm with the neighbors on this. I am the one taking the stand here. They can be heard more than a long block away and they refuse to back down on the volume. This is an important life lesson for these kids to learn. There is a lot of fun to be had flying under the radar and not pissing everyone off.

Because this is my garage and multi purpose area I'm not willing to create a sound room. All of the ideas of pads, electric drums, have been purchased, tried, and rejected. Continuous communicating on what is appropriate rehearsal sound levels fall on deaf ears (maybe thats the issue).

As for EFF! the neighbors, in my specific city, San Jose California, there is no implicit right to make any disturbance you like. Over the years I've experienced the police called to three practices at three different houses, not mine. Each time it was a situation where the sound level had reached arena level. Each time we were told to turn it down now. The next complaint within 12 hours will get a disturbance citation for the homeowner and other responsible parties, and repeated complaints can lead to equipment being seized. I discussed this at length with the officers each time and they were very clear there is no time of day when the rules don't apply. Other cities will have different ordinances but in my town this is the law.

2. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Good job dad. You did right thing.

I'm impressed they knocked on the door instead of calling cops...shows respect for OP and they knew OP would handle it.

Depending on where you live, noise violations can range from $50-1,000 and/or jail time. Not something anyone wants to deal with. We don't have an ordinance here, just until someone calls the cops...then it gets nasty.

Sax4blues, you have some good neighbors, no doubt. I'd throw a cook-out for them or something, in appreciation.

3. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Too bad they can´t be talked into a "canned" set up with electronic drums. Perhaps if there were an audio interface and a lap top involved? They could play at almost any hour and listen to the results.
    Oh wait...we´re talking about teenagers here.
    Nothing can be simple!:lol:

4. Open G Tele

Open G Tele Tele-Meister

Move.
    Your son doesn't respect you.
    You aren't strong enough to enforce order in your own home.
    You have to move... it's the only choice.

5. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

Sounds like the ban or rehearsal should be made permanent. If they can't follow any rules, then they can go and rent their own space.

6. thelowerlip

thelowerlip Tele-Afflicted

Now that is a good idea. Solves all the problems and teaches a life lesson.

7. supernewt

supernewt Tele-Meister

I think you're asking for the impossible. Playing drums is loud. You can't be loud in your neighborhood. The problem doesn't seem to be playing drums too loud.

Compounding the issue, as the boys practice, the perceived volume lessens for them, so that they need to continually inch up the volume and probably don't realize how loud, in terms of actual decibels, they are playing. It's biology, not the teenage mind. Have you ever gotten into your car and found that you left the radio cranked and maybe can't even believe that you had it up that loud? Same deal here. You probably know this already.

So they're probably not intentionally disregarding you or the neighbors in my opinion. Maybe they're trying to practice in an inappropriate environment.

8. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

you did the right thing. Stick to your guns. Good luck. It seems like a "teaching moment".

We were loud, (everybody had Twins) but my friends dad could kill all the power with one switch. (Recording Engineer/electrician). We learned.

9. Jack FFR1846

Jack FFR1846 Tele-Afflicted

Back in high school, I had lots of garage bands. At my house, we practiced in the garage or the celler (depending on the temperature and rain). But we had nothing but cows and us for quite a distance. At other friends houses, we almost always practiced in their basement. Now, I know that some parts of the country, there are no basements.

So you should move. :)

good luck....my 15 year old doesn't play drums, but manages to give us plenty of challenges.

10. superchicken_VI

superchicken_VI Friend of Leo's

I've played in enough bands with drummers playing acoustic drums to know that you can practice in a garage with the door closed and not tick off the neighbors. They're not trying to be good, they're trying to push boundaries. Have them put their amps on stands (or crates, whatever) at above-waist height and in front of them pointed at their heads. In the bands where we did this, SPL went way down. It's your house, your rules. No reason a drummer cannot play in a garage and not make the neighbors mad.

11. dwlb

dwlb Tele-Holic

Not sure how valuable this will be, but: we had band rehearsals of some sort in my parents' basement for over thirty years, and never had a complaint from a neighbor or a visit from the cops. The way that happened was that my father was very diligent about keeping up good relationships with the neighbors, making sure they knew we had several musicians in the family and that there would be loud rock bands occasionally, and continually checking in to see if they were bothered in any way. And also, making sure they knew the bands would never practice past 10 at night and then holding us to that deadline. Some bands were certainly louder than others, but maintaining good communication with the other families in the neighborhood went a long way.

That said--the band should probably turn down. If they can be heard a block away, that's pretty ridiculous--not to mention bad for their hearing.

12. emu!

emu! Poster Extraordinaire

Find someone who has never met the kids, let him dress up like a cop, arrest all of them, take them to the woods, and force them to listen to a very loud Duran Duran song.

13. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

In my parts it's a 24/7 sound ordinance, first complaint gets a warning or if you're unlucky the cop whips out his ticket book and hands you a 350.00 citation. Second visit is mandatory citation and third time is confiscation of equipment. Back in my 20's the group I was in got the ticket and it took us the next several gigs to pay it off. A real learning experience, taught us it's worth it to secure a good rehearsal space to avoid rude interruptions. I guess your son's lucky to deal with the wrath of dad/neighbors as opposed to San Jose's finest..........

14. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

I think this is the right approach.

It seems that because your son is a teenager, it's easy to say he's just being an obnoxious teenager. Maybe they're just having difficulty hearing themselves over each other, especially if your son is a loud drummer. I think it would be better to have an informed conversation about 'why' they are so loud as apposed to dealing with it with ultimatums and discipline. h emay learn not to push dad, but he'll they'll still be a band that can't hear each other.

I gotta side with the rude neighbor comments too. If you're banging on my door it had better be an emergency. I understand coming over and complaining, but getting a mob togther and banging the door down? It's the bands now, what's next?

15. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

+1

Thats the right idea.

When you live in a house or apt you have the right to a peacefull enviroment.

If someone is changing your lifestyle with noise then the cops can be called and you can be charged with disturbing the peace.

16. JBennett

JBennett Tele-Afflicted

G-dec amps, v-drums & headphones.

17. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Well then, looks like they are going to have to find a rehearsal room with reasonable rates. Which really might not be a bad idea. Makes your life easier and the band can bond better because everyone is making the same sacrifice.

Everytime I was in a band and practiced at a band members house, said band memeber would start to use that fact as leverage and a power play would happen not to mention horsing around and beer drinking. Not to mention a band member's certain herbal inbibing. After my last band I swore up and down, no practices at a band member's house.

My current band found a decent rehearsal studio close to all of us at $17 an hour for three hours and we all split the cost. We get a decent PA, a set of Pearl drums, a decent bass rig and guitar amp. I bring my own mic and guitar amp. Works for us.

18. TG

TG Doctor of Teleocity

People here commenting on the 'rude neighbors' should consider that the OP lives there, knows what the situation was and exactly how loud the band were, and stated clearly that he didn't blame his neighbors for being angry.

19. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

Agreed, that's why I find it odd that they were banging on the door if they already discussed the situation. A neighbor with any respect would come over and talk, not grab a mob and bully your kid into being quiet. Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but "might as well been a lynch mob" are pretty strong words.

20. speakerjones

speakerjones TDPRI Member

It sounds like you've paid your dues as a band parent. If they're not willing to work with you, time to let them figure it out on their own. My parents were supportive enough to let me practice at home through high school. Luckily, our neighbors were mostly cows, so it didn't matter much how loud we were. After that, I went on to practice in storage spaces, rented garages, abandoned factories, and legitimate rehearsal spaces. He's 19, technically an adult. Let them sink or swim.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.