1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can't Get My Kids To Turn It Down. Now The Neighbors Have Shut Them Down.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sax4blues, Feb 28, 2012.

1. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

My son, 19, is a drummer and I have always been supportive of his bands. We have room in the garage, PA, recording desk, amps, etc... As drummers tend to be in demand he has become more and more active with bands and it's easier for him to have rehearsal at our house.

I am constantly pushing these guys to turn down. I go out in the middle of rehearsal and recalibrate them but it just creeps up. The neighbors complained once a couple months back and I told him they are getting pissed.

Well Saturday it hit the fan. He had one band in the morning, practiced his kit for 1/2 hour at 6pm, and then had another band at 7:45pm. Second song in there was pounding at the door and it might as well been a lynch mob, and I don't blame them. I went to the garage and shut it down.

I've closed the place for two weeks and then told him if anyone wants to play here I will manage the sound and if they deviate I'll kick em right out. What really gets me is the neighbors have been very tolerant and supportive for four years now and the kids just keep pushing and pushing. I read somewhere that teenagers brains are incapable of processing some concepts and I guess sound level and suburban neighborhoods is one of them.

2. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Pads on the drums, only use 1 monitor speaker for the PA, no guitar amps past 2.

Dad, you gota keep the neighbors happy. But really I don't want to hear excuses about how "I can't get my kids to turn down".

Yes you can.

Good luck!

3. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Why not just soundproof the area where they practice? Or better yet, have them do it and they can't practice till the job is done right.

4. J-man

J-man Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Sound proofing is pricey..

5. Open G Tele

Open G Tele Tele-Meister

It's the drums.
    Everyone else turns up to keep up with the drums.

Here's how you solve your problem for <$20.

1. Hot Rods or brushes... no sticks.
    2. Big pillow in the kick drum(s).

I wouldn't waste money on sound proofing.
    Your kid shouldn't be rehearsing at full volume anyway.

6. Brian blaut

Brian blaut Friend of Leo's

I think what they are incapable of (if anything) is processing cause and effect. They don't really believe there's any consequence of being loud, other than putting up with you yelling at them from time to time. Which is not perceived as a real threat. I think you did the right thing. Shutting it down for a while. This will help them to realize the reality of the situation (and if nothing else, the effect of not respecting your rules). In a perfect world, the band would individually be thoughtful enough to police themselves, but kids will be kids :)

We all did it. I'm just glad I don't live next door to you. Bake your neighbors some cookies, stay on their good side. A little goes a long way :)

7. Open G Tele

Open G Tele Tele-Meister

oops... over-post.

8. dlb1001

dlb1001 Tele-Meister

Sound proofing might be the only choice for son's band. Also, get a sound meter with some type of limit indicator and put it front of the band. If it goes red, they have to turn down. Or they will have to start practicing at some rehearsal place.

9. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Well depends on how big the area is. You can use re-claimed wood and build a room within a room. And if the ceiling is high enough they can use old truck tires and build a platform over it to prevent mechanical transduction. It can be done cheaply (a matter of perspective, I know) but it would be mostly labor intensive. Certaintly less expensive than paying fines and angry neighbors.

10. a.miller

a.miller Tele-Meister

Drum sounds magically penetrate almost everything I have encountered, outside of being in a very high-end recording studio.

11. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

This may not sound so good to your son but since it's just rehearsal and not a gig, get him a set of Yamaha DTXtreme drums. I have the cheapest set they sell (around $700) but bear with me.

At the added cost of 2 extra 3-zone pads, I was able to make one of them into a combination ride, bell, and extra crash/splash/trash-whatever. The other I used for the snare as a snare/rim combo. That frees up the 2 cymbal pads they give to add 2 different crash/splash cymbals.

I still didn't break a grand doing this and you'd have to go maybe 2K to get what I've got with 2 extra pads and a little creative wiring. Otherwise most of these sets are just a crash and ride.

Also, each pad is seriously tweakable, meaning, it doesn't have to be a tom, or cymbal, it can be whatever you assign it to be.
    Each pad is tunable so a drum or a cymbal that sounds sketchy in one program can be tuned up or down and make it usable.
    It lines out in stereo so you can get correct 'imaging' and that is also tweakable.

I can use mine at 2 am and no one is going to hear anything. It's great.
    Soundproofing is an alternative for sure but still going to cost you some money. And when your son leaves to be on his own you'll have an empty garage.
    But he can still have the practice drums and practice whenever, wherever he pleases (with headphones too). He doesn't have to compromise his technique by having to play soft. He can bash these pads till his sticks break and still play at a reasonable level.

Also, the whole band can go thru the PA, providing the guitar player can go direct (lots of amp options there) and you can control the volume bigtime.

Just my 3cts but it's worked for me in my basement studio any time day or night.

12. supernewt

supernewt Tele-Meister

I think your neighbors are rude. I can't imagine banging the door of my neighbor's house like that. Maybe if it was late at night.

Beyond your local noise ordinance, only you have the right to dictate what noise is produced on your property per se. So I wouldn't be overly concerned with your easily offended neighbors. Perhaps you should print out the noise ordinance and hang it on your door with a note that says "Thanks for your patience, but don't knock if we're not breaking these rules."

So I think your son and fellow musicians should be able to play loud as they want during certain hours - e.g. follow your local noise ordinance as a starting point.

That said, if you know the neighbors have small children that go to bed early, it would be polite to quiet down at that time. Maybe tell your son to schedule practice in the middle of the day if you think that's the polite thing to do.

I think it's either play or don't play though. Trying to turn down will not work. A full band can't turn down enough to not be heard. Seems much easier to set a time when it's okay to make music and the time when the music must stop.

13. jwsamuel

jwsamuel Friend of Leo's

No, the neighbors are not being rude. According to the OP, the kid was playing from the morning until 7:45 pm. Perhaps the neighbors work hard all week and were looking forward to a quiet Saturday afternoon at home to relax.

The sound may not have been against the local noise ordinances, but there is a difference between being legal and being inconsiderate of others around you.

Jim

14. tcadam

tcadam Tele-Afflicted

I couldn't agree less.

15. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

Roland V drums, PODs, and a headphone mix will do it.

16. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Your son will probably never go for it, but I basically do the same thing in my un-insulated garage and a Roland kit. Keyboards, bass and vocals through P.A., guitar through modeler and power amp. Recently, a second guitarist has joined us who uses a small amp. He was too loud at first, but he's adjusted.

I have an acoustic kit, strictly for recording, in a room within the garage made of 4X4s, fiberboard, insulation, carpet padding, etc. I didn't build it myself -- I picked it up from a drummer going through a divorce. Perhaps your son could build something similar for the whole band.

17. Tred

Tred Tele-Afflicted

Who's the one in charge? Better yet, who's the parent?

It's like keeping the wife happy, because she knows where you sleep! LOL So, keep the neighbors happy, they know where you live.

18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Are there cheap rental rehearsal studios anywhere in your city? We used to pay about $20 per hour for an equipped room - PA, bass amp, drums, mics.
    For three hours, that worked out to $10 a session per member. It might be a solution for your son.

19. supernewt

supernewt Tele-Meister

I agree 100% with your last sentence. It would be polite to shut down early in consideration of the neighbors regardless of what's technically legal.

On the other hand, the neighbors were described as "pounding at the door" and "a lynch mob." Over what? Seems like the boy had a band practice in the a.m., then all was quiet until about 6 when he played for 30 mins, then another hour of quiet, and then he had just started playing at 7:45 when the neighbors blew their tops. That seems a reasonable amount of playing on a Saturday to me.

My main suggestions to Sax4Blues are to have some perspective about how offensive the music really is, because he seems really stressed, and also to set time frames that he thinks are appropriate and polite rather than try to control the volume or spend a bunch of money.

20. rolling56

rolling56 Friend of Leo's

<---- writes on list of places to not move to...... San Jose, CA..... k got it ;)

I can't hear how i sound outside of the house here and i haven't had anyone banging on my doors. There is a neighbor kid as i call him that plays his guitar fairly loud but i cannot tell how loud he is in his own house. I can't hear him inside my house either but only outside......i'll keep playing at my level so there's no door banging and i doubt i will ever say anything to him or his parents. I live outside of town so i have no idea what the laws in this county are..........

and yes i realize you are with the neighbors on this. If you get any citations for this i would try to make them pay for them and/or tell their parents possibly.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.