"Can't Find My Way Home"

Discussion in 'Twanger Central' started by tap4154, Oct 8, 2011.

1. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Here's a rough acoustic version I've worked out in standard tuning:

tah1962 likes this.
  2. blonde52

blonde52 Tele-Meister

Rough? That sounds pretty smooth to me!
    Great interpretation of a beautiful song my friend.

3. voodoo_idol

voodoo_idol Friend of Leo's

well done!

4. tap4154

Thanks guys.

I saw a video of Winwood playing it alone on acoustic in dropped-D, and sorta based it on that (but in standard tuning) and added my own changes to it.

Always loved that song.

5. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

Always loved it too-thanks.

6. tap4154

Thanks Chabby.

Funny, I was expecting someone to ask what the noise at 1:18 was...

...fridge's icemaker in the kitchen around the corner dropping cubes, almost on cue :D

This song was my theme song, "back in the day" :rolleyes:

Probably a lot of folks here as well...

7. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

way cool... +1... sounded good to me... I was singing along....

"and I'm wasted.. and I can't find my way home"..... perhaps that describes the 60's?...
    many of us are always trying to get back there in our heads...

I heard that Blind Faith LP about the time it was released.... then I started to work out who EC was afterwards.....
    I was in early highschool and a mates older brother was at Uni and had the best record collection for us to hear... all that late 60's brit stuff...he had cousins in Germany who sent lp's over..and was listening to stuff that wasn't in the shops here yet....

a few years later after highschool I was going to night College 3 nights a week... I discovered in a basement common room ..a bunch of snooker tables to use and in the corner were seats around the wall with headphones, a guy in a booth with a bunch of turntables and records on a "menu " board.... 10c a side.... yeh!!!!!.. that's me!

I skipped classes a lot... and listened to Blind Faith.. as a first record each time.... incredible album....

one day I saw this hippy dude holding the cans close to his head and rockin' in his chair.. going off.... I asked the guy in the booth what the guy was listening to....
    the First Moody Blues LP..... mmmkk?...
    I better have a listen after that guy finishes.... that was incredible through the cans as well, for a first listen...

8. tap4154

Very cool story, trev. I saw the Moody's play here a few years ago, and was transported back...

This is the video I saw a few months ago that spurred me to learn and arrange this one my way. Winwood is playing in dropped D, but I tried to emulate the feel, and did my own little thing, in standard tuning. I know why he does it in dropped D, it works great for the "home" part with the D bass.

9. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Poster Extraordinaire

tap, you had noises from your ice maker. Winwood had little pops from his log fire!!

That's possibly my favourite song from that album and I love playing it as well. But I have to use a capo so that I can sing it in a key that suits my voice. I just can't get that high without having several blood vessels popping!! Winwood still has an amazing voice.

10. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

Hey, there was recent thread about dropped tunings and this is the example I gave as one I do. I heard this thing way back on an album my brother had, I think it was 'EC was Here', live with Eric Clapton and Yvonne Elliman, I loved it and a while back worked it out for myself. I do it dropped D too, though I'd never seen that vid of Steve Winwood before, nice. Gotta love you tube..well except for many of the comments.

I like your take though I kept wishing for the vocal line. You started a bit fast I think but settled. Nice take of a great song.

Kristina

tap4154 likes this.
  11. tap4154

Yes, I noticed the fire pop.

He had a nice fire popping, I had ice dropping... Must mean something about my playing ;o)

No, I can't sing that high either, let alone sing at all. That's why I try to incorporate some of the melody line into my playing. Winwood's voice is awesome, and IMO he sounds better today than ever.

12. Le Jab

Le Jab Tele-Meister

I think Stevie is in a drop C - regular, tuned down 2 half steps and low E drop to C

13. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Ahah.....my era of music bias...ahem.

Blind Faith did a great album and you did a fine sounding version to me.
    I have yet to try any different tunings on guitar not to mention being ignorant of the techniques used.
    But...now that I've been gifted that new axe tuner that you clip on the headstock I may have to get brave and give it a try.
    Being a drummer at heart of course 'Do What You Like' was always a favorite too.
    Carry on.....

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  14. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

sitting in front of a fire with a heavy jacket on...?
    it must have been a cold place.....
    the low E does sound floppy.. detuned a bit...

a great voice indeed...

the Moodies, lol... "There you go man
    Keep as cool as you can
    Face piles of trials with smiles
    It riles them to believe
    That you perceive
    The web they weave...
    And keep on thinking free"...

15. Ormond

Ormond Tele-Afflicted

Very nice! Thanks for posting!

16. Fenderfiend

Fenderfiend Tele-Meister

Somehow I like your version a little better.

Steve Winwood... what a career that man has had.
    Blind Faith, Traffic, and his solo work (which is some of my favorite stuff).

Good work!

tap4154 likes this.
  17. chabby

chabby Friend of Leo's

That voice - worth a million bucks. I remember being sshocked the first time I saw Winwood. I had just kind of thought he was a black dude when I first heard that tune with blind faith. Then when I saw he was this 18 year old British kid I just flipped.

Now I watch him as an old fart and he still has that golden voice.
    Just a gift from God really. I liked your standard tuning version in a pinch for sure.
    But I love those woody piano-esque bass tones Winwood gets on the lower dropped tuning. Just gives this almost hollow wind blowing ghostly tone that goes well with the words and tune.

How can you not love Steve Winwood? When he and EC team together its magic too. BTW - I just tried a slightly different version with the E string dropped to D and it made it almost 12 string sounding especially if you just voice the G chord at the 6th string 5th fret (making new melodic embellishments) and the A with just a partial triad at the 5th fret with most stings open (except the melodic embellishments fingerings which are easy to come by) gives you that 12 string sound, or bigger sounding. Really fun to play with.

Love this tune - thanks for providing me a couple hours of fun. Just couldn't stop playing and experimenting with it.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  18. tap4154

Hmmm... Can an OP revive a 9-year-old zombie thread? Had stopped recording anything for years (for many reasons) and now with the quarantine have been remembering songs I almost forgot how to play, and recorded this one again. A bit slower, with an intro. Stay safe ever'buddy!

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  19. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Very nicely done.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.