Cant decide should I put a humbucker in the neck?!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Lloyd89, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Lloyd89

Lloyd89 TDPRI Member

I just bought my first tele. a second hand mexican model dated 04 but has been changed to a three saddle brass bridge. I have always been a strat guy but now I want to build my dream tele. I was dead set on a humbucker in the neck but after playing it im not so sure I may not want to just go for a hand wound set of tele pickups. any thoughts or suggestions?

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

here's how the "head" comes into play.... You wanna HB at the neck... You don't have one.... every time you play that guitar, in the back of your head, something is going to be screaming, you aren't getting the sound you want out of that single coil.... sooner or later you're gonna make the jump.... it's gonna happen....

Therefore, the only reason I can think of putting it off, it to save a few extra bux to get the pup you really want..... don't "settle for" 'cause that will bug you too..... go for the "full Monty" and get the one you really want...

Ron Kirn

3. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

What he said. This is true, by the way, with everything in life.

4. yangounet

yangounet Friend of Leo's

yep. But why a humbucker in the neck? To you have a precise idea of the sound you need/wish?

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hummers are great in the neck. Idk recommend checking out seymour duncan.

6. Lloyd89

Lloyd89 TDPRI Member

I just still want that great overdrive tone like warren haynes that I havent been able to get from my more scooped mid range sounding strats. That is the only reason I have considered a humbucker in the next

7. franchelB

franchelB Friend of Leo's

FWIW, Warren Haynes uses Pearly Gates and Antiquities from Seymour Duncan...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/news/newsletter/winter-04/artist_spotligh_4/

8. Jeremy Palmer

Jeremy Palmer TDPRI Member

Here another chance for my standard reply:

Seymour Duncan P-Rails

9. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

What Ron said...Go for it !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Ronkirn

Lloyd.... the only part of that, that matters is the "I just want" part... what everyone else thinks is immaterial... it's your guitar.... do to it what ya want... it's the only way you're gonna be happy with it..

Too many want to live vicariously through other guys gear.... gear they will never see, hear, play, or otherwise have any contact with... that's why I always recommend going with what you first decided on, as long as it's a known quality/quantity, you will be fine.

No amount of "other guys" input as to what sound you will get out of your guitar with a specific pickup means diddily, because every one of 'em are different, every one of our playing styles are different, every one of our amps are different, and everyone of the rooms the acoustics will be bouncing around in are different. It kinda makes things a "crap shoot"... but that's the fun in the hunt... Just do it....

Ron Kirn

11. KeefRiffhard

KeefRiffhard Tele-Meister

Yes you should.

Ron Kirn's reply was spot on (as usual).

12. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I've been looking into the "Toneshaper" option. Any advice on that?

13. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The only thing I can add to this is that (unless you go really nuts on a boutique-y HB) the cost of a new pickguard and a humbucker amounts to a couple of restaurant dinners. So if it turns out that it doesn't work for you, it's not a big loss in the grand scheme of things.

14. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

heres my nocaster on the left.

Attached Files:

• 013.jpg
      013.jpg
      File size:
      27.3 KB
      Views:
  15. Ronkirn

I've done a few.... I find it more of a "voice" change tool as opposed to a "tone" control... if you like it, they're great, and if ya don't, you can pull it back out and sit the little booger on the desk.... they're a pretty nice looking little piece of electronic equipment . . .. thing is, no one can make up your mind for ya, you just gotta jump in and get wet...

The problems are . . . in the “tone” or “how does it sound” questions are the variables… no one ever asks do ya finger pick, do ya use a flat pick, is it thin, thick, hard, soft…. Where do ya pick, over the bridge . . . up, over the neck pup, somewhere in the great wasteland between… all those little things will alter your sound more than most of the things guy will get into arguments over…

So if you’re planning on adding a thing-a-ma-jig to your guitar because someone said it will make it sound like the smell of roses… ya juuuust might find the scent of Lavender instead, coming from your guitar. Still nice…. But perhaps you wanted Roses… so it’s back to the drawing board… well actually the CAD program…

The only way to know these things is to do it…. Even the Magazine articles don’t even begin to cover the variables… most of those guys are Communication Majors, not Musicians, and certainly not “techs”.

Some things are definitive…. Drop a brick on your toe…. It’s gonna hurt, not much of an argument there…. But , scream at a pine cone… and quite a few different things can happen…. Your wife will call her Mother about you… again…. You might scare the cat . . . the neighbors may go inside and lock the door, . . . scream at it long enough and the Cops are gonna show up…. But the only way you will know for sure is if you find a Pine Cone… and start screaming…. Sometimes ya just gotta “jump” and see what happens…

Oh… don’t scream at pine cones….. ;)

rk

16. TubbyTone

TubbyTone Tele-Meister

all I can say is YES humbucker in the neck, or no neck pickup. J.M.O. sorry just another op to show off my Tele's.

Attached Files:

17. cheapgtrs

cheapgtrs Tele-Meister

Ron Kirn you are quite the philosopher. :)

18. yangounet

yangounet Friend of Leo's

Not necessary to argue more on yes or no. Now the question is which choice of pups? Change just the neck pup or change both for a better balance?

19. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

I think if you have any Jazz or Blues (Warren Haynes) tendencies you should do it. The Gibson effect is instant and enjoyable... The combo of the 2 pickups is phenomenal and you still have the bite of a Telecaster in the bridge position.
    I didn't have to think twice... but, I do have a couple of Teles in standard configuration.

20. andpeab

andpeab Tele-Meister

well, if you ask me.......

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.