Can't decide on a finish for this beautiful body

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by pirana, Dec 6, 2019.

1. mefgames

mefgames Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

CLEAR COAT !!!!! Yes, I'm shouting !!!

pirana likes this.
  2. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Dirty lemon / aged amber. Beautiful grain on that body.

[​IMG]

Blue Bill and pirana like this.
  3. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

I'm a huge car fan for styling. I like the two tone idea a lot. And it hasn't been done thousands of times in those exact colors.

The coral blue looks to be in the cyan or turquoise range. You can experiment much cheaper with https://www.kedadyeinc.com if you get their 5 color dry powder kit for under $20. 2 parts blue to 1 part yellow gets you to that light blue. I just did a bunch of dye tests and found it a bit counter intuitive to add yellow to make light blue.

And then the paduak neck would scream on that body until it eventually just gets dark.

pirana likes this.
  4. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

I got a strat body back in the mid 80's that was alder with a flame maple top & stained the maple cap a strawberry red & painted the alder pearl white. Turned out really nice. Thanks for the link!

Peltogyne likes this.
  5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Aged. Many layers of stain and hand rubbed tru-oil. It's not a sparkly burst. It's seen some things.

[​IMG]

This is a rescue Squier. Several owners, several hack jobs, uncle of the prior owner plucked it from the trash sorting machines at a landfill even.
    It's seen hard times. It knows the blues.

Gipper and pirana like this.
  6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

I vote lemon burst or cherry burst.

7. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

I've been a fan of the mix of paint and wood for a while. Here's an idea I've been toying with in the computer world. The painting of fancy top wood will cause some people to have a stroke but I feel the overall effect is worth it. It has an arrogance to it that I like :) Though it can be done with some flat sawn maple that has a low quality top figure but high figure on the sides.

Do you have a pic of the strawberry topped Strat?

MJ_04_2017-Dec-18_10-20-18AM-000_CustomizedView1634272307_jpg.jpg

8. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

I like to try & get creative & do things that aren't typical, so I like your idea. The only problem I see is that if the whole body was maple it would be awfully heavy. Unfortunately I don't have a pic of the guitar I mentioned. I got it from Warmoth in 1985 before they figured out how to do drop tops. They had a deal that if you ordered a body you could have a neck made at half price. The neck was highly figured birds eye maple with ebony fingerboard. I was burglarized & it was stolen along with a mid 70's deluxe reverb & all my audio equipment. I loved that guitar & amp. By the way, my Keda dye kit came today.

9. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

I'd do a hand-rubbed gunstock finish on that using 600-grit paper and boiled linseed oil.

It's a slow process, but when you're done, the finish will look a foot deep. If you're ever seen the finish on the stocks of a $15K custom shotgun--you'll know what I'm talking about.

10. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

Not to mention the engraving they do on those guns. They are beautiful.

11. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Tele-Afflicted

You can use a lighter weight maple. I find Pacific Bigleaf Maple to be around the same weight as alder. And of course you can hollow it out and put any kind of top on it if you paint it. I've been fortunate to have access to a CNC so I've been hollowing things.

pirana likes this.
  12. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Tru-oil

13. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

I'd go the original rout color and do the transamber like springsteen's or walsh's teles. It would probably look awesome in a satin version of that finish Amber finish. Too much pigment in the MK and modern BSB.

14. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

could use dark grain filler ...sand back then nitro a subtle burst 24238-e8aad5e2060b86b3f6bf4966c8cb68e1.jpg thththt.jpg finish

Attached Files:

teletimetx likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.