Can't decide on a finish for this beautiful body

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by pirana, Dec 6, 2019.

1. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Afflicted

That is very pretty wood. Not a good candidate for late 80s Kramer-style holoflash treatment.

FWIW, I really like the ideas suggested in posts #7 and 9.

pirana likes this.
  2. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

Then you can't go back.

3. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

swamp ash

4. GeminiCG

GeminiCG Tele-Meister

I did some more thinking on the finish for this guitar. As much as I love blue guitars (myself owning a Squier Strat in Lake Placid Blue), but I think if you use a light brown stain first, sand it back, and then go over with a an amber or something similar, it will help the grain pop and make it interesting. Other than that, the choice is yours. Good Luck my friend

pirana likes this.
  5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

That's an unusual mix of grain weights for Ash. Also, the grain in the pocket is straight, while the other is fanned diagonal. Its not a veneer is it? It doesn't matter really, its groovy either way. I've been thinking of a translucent gray/charcoal as a good color to show grain, but also be understated under lights. Good luck with the next color.

pirana likes this.
  6. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

It's a thin line body just without the F-hole & the top is a 1/4" thick book matched veneer. The straight grain you refer to in the neck pocket is just the body core which is two piece swamp ash & has nice grain figure on the back as well although not as pretty as the front of course. Most of the responses so far are leaning towards a stain of some sort as opposed to classic vintage colors. Stewmac has a new stain called coral reef blue that looks like it might make a cool looking burst with a tobacco brown around the perimeter. I'd like to get some scrap pieces of ash to experiment with but at $25 dollars per bottle of dye this project could get expensive with a lot of left over dye. I suppose the grain figure in this body does lend itself to being stained much like highly figured maple. Just need to take my time & not rush it.

7. Sybo

Sybo TDPRI Member

Man, you gotta show off that grain, whatever color profile you go with, TRANSLUCENT please!!! :D

pirana likes this.
  8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

White blonde (MK) for the win. Just make sure it’s translucent enough to let the grain show… it’s a wonderful finish on teles of any era.

Besides, what’s the neck going to look like? Maple? Rosewood? That’s a major factor in the decision. If rosewood, with due respect for lovers of that color scheme, I’d steer well clear of BSB.

PS: if you have any pics of how the guitar was before you stripped it, that would help. Maybe it was so beautiful that we’ll just say “restore it to its former glory”.

9. Swampash&Tweed

Swampash&Tweed Friend of Leo's

Golden amber.

pirana likes this.
  10. eallen

eallen Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

You don't want to cover up nice grain so dye is the only way that is going to happen. Pick your favorite tint and play with it on scrap. Virtually any can show off the grain.

Eric

pirana likes this.
  11. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

Here’s an outside the box idea. Not sure if you had left the grain open when you finished it the first time—if you did, you could do a white grain filler and go for a doghair finish. A la...

Attached Files:

pirana likes this.
  12. Vfc13

Vfc13 Tele-Meister

Whatever you choose please do it lightly so that wonderful grain will be highlighted

pirana likes this.
  13. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've wanted a translucent white wash tele since I saw one in the 80's Atlanta Discount Music. I couldn't afford it, so continued on with my gold sparkle Ventura LP copy, lol. Wish I had that Ventura back too.

pirana and RadioFM74 like this.
  14. Vfc13

Vfc13 Tele-Meister

A pickled oak finish looks great.. I’m going to do that on my kit I’m asking for this Christmas

pirana likes this.
  15. pirana

pirana Tele-Meister

Thanks to everyone for all the replies so far. I got to thinking (usually a sign of forthcoming trouble) that I've always liked two tone paint schemes like you saw a lot on cars back in the 50's & 60's. I think I might Mary Kaye the back & sides & stain the top with that coral reef blue from StewMac that I mentioned above. It's a light blue. I made my own control plate from 1/8" ebony headstock veneer & inlaid a pair of mother of pearl dice & engraved them to show lucky # 7 between the control knobs. Lollar Special T pups & Callaham bridge w/ Gotoh comp saddles & Callaham string ferrules. I'm going to have Warmoth make me a neck from either padauk or roasted maple w/ ebony fingerboard w/ a 9.5" radius & I've got Gotoh/Kluson locking tuners. I ordered an extra thick neck plate from Greer Amps in cold rolled steel. There's pictures on here somewhere of the original version but none of the pictures I've ever taken of it do it justice like seeing it in person.

16. eslover

eslover Tele-Meister

I think just a clear lacquer maybe some tint/amber would look really nice. Possibly a translucent like MK would look nice too imho.

17. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Contrasting grain filler to highlight the grain, then clear, IMO.

18. Vfc13

Vfc13 Tele-Meister

A highly diluted periwinkle clear ..almond pick guard

19. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

That’s a great looking guitar body. Either way you go, I’d defo try and highlight that grain. Be sure to keep us posted.

20. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Tele-Meister

If I were you I'd stain it to be like a well faded pair of blue jeans. Let the grain be a part of the overall look.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.