Can't cough, laugh or take a deep breath - Guess what?

Short on cash

Tele-Meister
I have 2 nice bikes. Both HD's. I haven't been on them for a few years
because of all the nut jobs out there.
People just don't give a crap about the next guy anymore.
Sad world we live in.

tap4154

Doctor of Teleocity
I'm not sure if I understand what happened, did you lock up the rear tire and lay it down?

As I posted in another thread, I've been fixing up an old 1971 Yamaha 175 Enduro. It's running great now, but I've just been riding it around inside my tract and other tracts to get my riding legs back. It still has 50 year old tires, so I don't want to take it up to speed on the main roads.

The first time I took it around the block, I was a bit nervous because I hadn't ridden in some 20 years (my last bike was a larger Yamaha 650 twin) but it's all coming back. I'm very deliberately taking as many curves as I can, and getting back my old riding techniques. I thought I was going to have some new tires arriving yesterday. In fact they arrived in a city about an hour away from me, then a day later they're back in Flagstaff AZ, headed east. FedEx is taking them for a ride, and I suspect it may have hired a driver from USPS.

But I'm glad you survived and hope you heal soon!

Last edited:

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
Feeling your oats, feeling your pain, feeling your age. In that order. But you're a lucky guy. I have a wife who just screams, "You can't do that anymore" at me until I get a note from my cardiologist on the Mount Sinai portal telling me what the new limits are. And my wife still screams.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted
Glad you're ok. Sell the bike. If this happens again, you could be injured far more severely. I went down on a Honda 400 when I was 16. Tore my right ACL, but not completely. 35 years and it got worse and worse, before it finally tore the last little bit and I got the surgery done. Then, I lost 100lbs of unwanted fat that had piled up. Seriously dude, sell the bike. It's much better to be surrounded by a large metal frame. IT WILL happen again, it's just a matter of time. I've broken a couple of ribs before. Hurts to laugh, cough, sneeze, talk loudly, shake fist in the air yelling at clouds, etc.

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Glad you're ok. Sell the bike. If this happens again, you could be injured far more severely. I went down on a Honda 400 when I was 16. Tore my right ACL, but not completely. 35 years and it got worse and worse, before it finally tore the last little bit and I got the surgery done. Then, I lost 100lbs of unwanted fat that had piled up. Seriously dude, sell the bike. It's much better to be surrounded by a large metal frame. IT WILL happen again, it's just a matter of time. I've broken a couple of ribs before. Hurts to laugh, cough, sneeze, talk loudly, shake fist in the air yelling at clouds, etc.
Might be a little pessimistic, but that was the path I took as well years ago. Driving an open top Jeep provided more safety while still feeling open...and no helmet

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
So, I've posted about getting the bike out after several years. One day to change fuel, get new battery and start it up. Perfect. Next day it rained so left it alone. Spent part of the day looking for the title and found it. Next I have to get it inspected before I can re-register it.

Figured I would ride it around the neighborhood and get my sea legs back before heading over to the inspection station. Did about 20 minutes just motoring around getting the feel of the bike again. Decided to do one last loop around my block before closing up the house and heading for the inspection station.

At the stop sign in the next block ready to make a right, when a car decides to cut the corner ( no turn signal) and stupid me realizes I've already started into the turn and realize I'm probably going to be too wide. Hit the brakes and literally flop over on the right side. Forearm takes a little road, right knee takes a little road and rib cage under my right arm hits the curb. I bounce up, nobody saw it, car long gone (my fault not his, though I misjudged his turn and mine). Call my neighbor to come around the block and help me lift up the bike. Literally no damage to bike except it scrapped the right floor board and muffler. Get the bike up and drove it home and put it up.

Go inside and inspect the damage. Pretty good road rash on arm. Cleaned it up and put antibiotic on it. Knee much less but same treatment. Side hurts but not too bad yet. Few hours later after the adrenaline wears off, the hit starts to take hold. I've had broken and cracked ribs twice before and the similarity is there.

Called the doctor and he is off until Tuesday (this was Friday), but will work me in. Took a couple Tylenol and settled in for the wait. About bed time I can tell it is at least bruised ribs and by Saturday morning it is obvious. Motored through Saturday (NPI) and seems about the same today. Will deal with it until Tuesday when I can see the Doctor, get X-rays and be told to take Tylenol until it heals.

Feeling really stupid. Not sure I would have avoided it anyway but I know my turning has to be worked on. Practice is the only cure and I should have been wearing a leather jacket! I had a helmet and boots, but just a long sleeve shirt. I would laugh at my stupidity but it hurts.

My wife was looking down saying "You idiot, why did you do that, are you hurt? Get in the house and let me look at that. Do we need to go to the emergency room?" At least I got past that. BTW- I'm really Okay, mostly embarrassed.
I wish I had something to say that would actually help but, I'm afraid i don't.

Glad it wasn't worse.
I hope you are back and up real soon.
~ST

JSMac

Tele-Afflicted
I used too and that could have been worse. But, cracked ribs are quite painful and can take some time to heal. Took most of a summer before I could even do things like start my lawn mower.

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery!

Adding on: I rode big bikes for years. After a couple of minor wrecks and too many close calls (and getting older and not trusting my reflexes anymore) I finally gave it up. I did miss it for a while but got over it. But I do still entertain the idea of getting a smaller bike some day.

Last edited:

Cpb2020

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I’m sorry to hear this. Having broken ribs a number of times, it sucks, but there’s not much you can do but wait it out and hope that you don’t get seasonal allergies and sneeze a lot during the recovery period.

My days of riding on busy roads have been over since an acquaintance was stopped in a left-hand turn lane waiting for a green arrow, and a truck wandered into the left turn lane doing 45-50mph, the rear bumper of the truck tore his right leg off, and he died of blood loss.

My next ride, when I retire, will be a Yamaha TW200. Light weight, doesn’t go too fast, and great for exploring less traveled dirt roads and for camping. That’s about the extent of what I can see myself doing in the future on a bike.

GGardner

Friend of Leo's
Might be a little pessimistic, but that was the path I took as well years ago. Driving an open top Jeep provided more safety while still feeling open...and no helmet
OP's in Houston. So a Miata would work too.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted

There was a friend of my Dad's that I grew up with. He had an old Ford Bronco that he chopped the top off of. Big mistake!

It was too top heavy and he lost control between two split interstate lanes, rolled and died. Left behind a wife and two daughters. They were fantastic people. Should not have happened. I went with my Dad when I was about 14 to their house. His name was Mel, and he had bought an old Model A Ford kit and was in the middle of putting it together in the garage. Dad and I had the task of putting all remaining parts in Ziploc storage bags, and labeling them with a Sharpie. Really miss the Hennigs. We used to go camping, water skiing and had a lot of fun together.
Mel was the biggest Chuck Berry fan on this planet! We'd go in the van with the girls and he would crank, "My Dingaling," as we would launch the boat. We'd have a huge singalong to my Dingaling.

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
I say it was the fault of the car turning without using his turning signal. I also say you should use your turning signal even when there is no one there. Because they might be and you didn't see them.

The things people don't know! Especially about the use of turning signals!

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I say it was the fault of the car turning without using his turning signal. I also say you should use your turning signal even when there is no one there. Because they might be and you didn't see them.

The things people don't know! Especially about the use of turning signals!
Amen to that!

Poster Extraordinaire
My best man has spent many months in the hospital on account of bikes. He has a lot of metal in his body.

Poster Extraordinaire
Always look both ways when the light turns green.

Refugee

Tele-Afflicted

Better to be a pessomist than pushing daisies. Blink of an eye can change everything, no matter how careful YOU are.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
The only time I ever fell off a bike, at that kind of speed, I was lucky. It was a skittish, Suzuki 250 two stroke and the back wheel stepped out, on a wet manhole cover. Rather than getting trapped under the bike- or spat off it- I was able to slide along the road and got away with a little road rash and some torn denim.

I had nastier outcomes, from higher speed mishaps- but I'm still here. I'm glad you are too. There's a certain random element, to vehicular calamities and you can't always predict the severity of an outcome, from the speed, or other circumstances.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Update. Saw doctor yesterday. Bruising, no cracks or serious injury. Told me to soak the road rash and not let it scab over. Says it helps it to heal better. New one for me.

This morning took the dog for your normal walk in the park. Felt pretty good and only a little sore. Probably wait a few weeks before getting bike inspected and registered. All in all turned out well.