Can't cough, laugh or take a deep breath - Guess what?

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
So, I've posted about getting the bike out after several years. One day to change fuel, get new battery and start it up. Perfect. Next day it rained so left it alone. Spent part of the day looking for the title and found it. Next I have to get it inspected before I can re-register it.

Figured I would ride it around the neighborhood and get my sea legs back before heading over to the inspection station. Did about 20 minutes just motoring around getting the feel of the bike again. Decided to do one last loop around my block before closing up the house and heading for the inspection station.

At the stop sign in the next block ready to make a right, when a car decides to cut the corner ( no turn signal) and stupid me realizes I've already started into the turn and realize I'm probably going to be too wide. Hit the brakes and literally flop over on the right side. Forearm takes a little road, right knee takes a little road and rib cage under my right arm hits the curb. I bounce up, nobody saw it, car long gone (my fault not his, though I misjudged his turn and mine). Call my neighbor to come around the block and help me lift up the bike. Literally no damage to bike except it scrapped the right floor board and muffler. Get the bike up and drove it home and put it up.

Go inside and inspect the damage. Pretty good road rash on arm. Cleaned it up and put antibiotic on it. Knee much less but same treatment. Side hurts but not too bad yet. Few hours later after the adrenaline wears off, the hit starts to take hold. I've had broken and cracked ribs twice before and the similarity is there.

Called the doctor and he is off until Tuesday (this was Friday), but will work me in. Took a couple Tylenol and settled in for the wait. About bed time I can tell it is at least bruised ribs and by Saturday morning it is obvious. Motored through Saturday (NPI) and seems about the same today. Will deal with it until Tuesday when I can see the Doctor, get X-rays and be told to take Tylenol until it heals.

Feeling really stupid. Not sure I would have avoided it anyway but I know my turning has to be worked on. Practice is the only cure and I should have been wearing a leather jacket! I had a helmet and boots, but just a long sleeve shirt. I would laugh at my stupidity but it hurts.

My wife was looking down saying "You idiot, why did you do that, are you hurt? Get in the house and let me look at that. Do we need to go to the emergency room?" At least I got past that. BTW- I'm really Okay, mostly embarrassed.

Greggorios

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Glad to hear you're OK and that only a little pride got injured. That's just the universe giving you a little reminder to be careful. I know my body doesn't bounce off the road as well as it once did. :)

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Glad that's the extent of things. No breaks, no exposed knuckle bones. You were lucky. I've had a handful of similar accidents on road bikes (bicycles), one of which was caused by a gust of wind as I rounded a corner. Broken teeth, mild concussion, shin bone peeking through. It's hard to be mindful at all times, as people recommend.

Texicaster

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Take care man!

I lost my 2 wheel legs a few years back. Had a bad bicycle crash. Going ~35mph hit wet RXR tracks. Skidded and tore the meat off one thigh. Took weeks to heal physically and never did mentally. Subsequent rides all had a sketchy instance so figures off road is all I'll do if that.

Heal fast!

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have not been on a bike since I was about thirty. I have always liked them. My wife doesn’t like them. Occasionally I get the urge to get one. I am of the the opinion I am older, slower and break easier than I was over thirty years ago. So far that has kept me from getting one. I have a go fast bass boat that crushes that need for speed. I think I will stick with that.

telleutelleme

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Strumming arm or fretting arm?
Strumming. No Townsend Windmills.
So, did you answer her?
It's all one-way memories these days, but yes, I apologized because she is watching.

The biggest loser has been the dog, who is really upset. With the beautiful weather he isn't getting a walk yet. May try tomorrow. Best thing is being older I have one of those grabbers, so I can pick stuff off the floor without bending.

MickM

Poster Extraordinaire
Platinum Supporter
Sounds like maybe, and I don't know you other than from here, you might consider getting a bike that is lighter and easier to handle. When my COPD got to the point where I no longer had the breath to back up or lift a 900 lb dresser or 750 lb softail I knew I was pressing my luck. I can still handle my old 45 inch flathead but if it needs more than three kicks to start, I have to sit for a minute to regain my wind and start again.
I'm seriously considering getting one of these at less than 4oo lbs and electric start. EDIT: The bike shown is 450cc at 345#. They also have a similar looking 250cc at 265#. Not long distance highway or touring bikes but for my needs it seems right.https://www.janusmotorcycles.com/
1649000243124.png

Last edited:

Milspec

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Busted ribs hurt, but feeling dumb hurts worse....especially if people know.

My very first day as a letter carrier (orientation day actually, still hadn't gone to the academy yet) I was allowed to shadow a carrier. It was raining and he just wanted to stay dry so he had me jumping out to deliver packages.

At one stop, the person had 3 large packages. Wanting to impress the carrier, I took all 3 at the same time. I jogged up to the house, turned the corner, and both feet kicked out to the side on some mud...I landed on my side atop one of the boxes (a steel shelf kit). I heard the crunch and hoped it was the box, but it was me. Cracked the final 2 ribs on my right side.

I got up as the owner was calling out her window asking if I was okay. I waved it off and jumped back in the truck, the carrier didn't see it and asked if I scraped my knee or something, I replied that I just broke my ribs. Luckily, it was the floating rib and the one above it so I could function and take a pretty deep breath without severe pain, but twisting and such was out of the question.

Then the big issue...what to do about it? I was told that if I reported it, I would be fired for being unsafe. I was also told that if I didn't report it and the office found out, I would fired for not reporting it. What a wonderful way to start a new job.

I didn't report it, worked 6 days per week for the next 5 weeks with busted ribs wondering each day if I was about to be fired. I kept it to myself and tried very hard to never let it show when I worked.

As long as you can take a deep breath, you are golden. When it comes to ribs, the big risk is developing pneumonia or something because of shallow breathing. It does suck though.

Good luck and glad to hear it wasn't worse.

hemingway

Poster Extraordinaire
Broken ribs are no fun. I broke one when I had covid, from coughing so hard. I had to sleep sitting upright in a chair for a week. Not that I slept.

Coughing with a broken rib. That was fun.