1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can't bring myself to buy a Joyo pedal, new or used

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by CV Jee Beez, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Some of us still respect the West... not all of Western Culture has fallen.

2. Tele-beeb

So there’s a better country?

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup. Outlaw Country.

Tele-beeb likes this.
  4. Tele-beeb

Well, yeah that.
    Ok, other than Outlaw Country?

5. ricardo1912

ricardo1912 Friend of Leo's

Totally agree. I have a few Joyo pedals and rehearse/gig with their overdrive. I bought a spare as a backup in case of failures a couple of years ago and haven't even opened the box yet.

6. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

I've been slaughtered on many boards for expressing my own view that copying (cloning) circuits like the Klon is morally wrong. The law says that circuits can't be copyrighted/patented, so it's open season, and what Joyo is doing is the same thing that many others, within the US and worldwide, are doing. I like to support American workers and creators, so I try to buy the original, and American-made components when I can. I also try to avoid junky stuff when I can afford to buy better, more durable items. A lot of times, cheaper is not better over the long haul.

7. BigDaddyLH

I reckon, too, it's about absolutes and not relatives. Being the best you can be rather than being content with just being better than some other poor slob. You know a man can run, for years and years, until he realizes what he's running from is hisself. Hag said that.

8. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

Soooo.... Is there a better country, or not?

Geez. Canadians. :rolleyes:

9. BigDaddyLH

One more time, Grasshopper.

cyclopean and Whatizitman like this.
  10. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

DIY! Then you can say it's "made in America"...except for all the imported parts. Could go NOS but the price increases exponentially.
    Except for a few things I can't build for the price like the Mosky spring reverb I just picked up for $30 (sounds pretty good too), I'm building my own. All the classic circuits are based on previously published circuits from the RCA manuals, or Mullard, or application notes from the various semiconductor manufacturers.

Bristlehound likes this.
  11. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

We shouldn't forget that before we had junk made overseas, we just made the junk here domestically. All you have to do is go through an antique booth store to see some of the utter garbage that we made in the US, and we weren't exempt from copying each other, either.

I remember my mother having a stand mixer that could pretty much only mix things that were easy enough to mix by hand. My grandmother did, too.

in terms of the joyo pedals, I only have one - a compressor - but it works fine. I wouldn't buy one that was an outright copy of an innovative new pedal, but I'd buy one that's a copy of a plexi circuit, etc.

How many "K" circuit pedals are there out there, domestically and otherwise.

12. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Here in Australia we are often urged to buy Australian made. As one comedian put it "buy Australian made what?". We here have very little manufacturing industry so the vast majority of what we purchase is made in other countries. Our main trading partner is China, they buy our raw materials and we buy their manufactured goods. The OP's orignal post has little relevance in a lot of countries outside of the USA. Chinese goods are like most other nations goods, some brands are top quality whilst others are not. USA made goods are few and far between here and overpriced when compared to goods from other countries and not always of as good a quality.
    One thing I have noticed is that Joyo are now at the stage of developing their own circuitry and inovations with pedals as are Moen. Most countries that develop manufacturing industries seem to go through a copy phase, then move into an inovation phase. That happened with Japan and is now happening with China. It happened in the USA, where did Leo get his first amp designs from.
    The moral dilema of purchasing from certain countries and not others affects diferent nations differently.

Alamo likes this.
  13. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

Actually the name was " the quarter pounder with cheese". NOT the quarter pounder. ;)

johnhe likes this.
  14. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

If you value health and quality of life, there are lots of them.

cyclopean, Telemarx and BigDaddyLH like this.
  15. Dennyf

Dennyf Tele-Afflicted

Actually, they had both. Separate line items on the menu. Separate wrapper (white for the no-cheese version).

16. Edsel Presley

Edsel Presley Tele-Holic

I buy what's cheap. If someone can make your product for 1/4 the cost, then so can you.

17. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

One thing I have noticed is that some of the Chinese companies are either working together or they have started copying each other's designs. I got myself a Joyo Gembox, great little multieffects unit that does not seem to be a clone of anything that comes from a USA company. However, it is also marketed under the Mooer brand name and is very similar to a unit made by Hotone.

18. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sort of copies
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

of Zoom
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. brokenbones

brokenbones Tele-Holic

You gotta start somewhere? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

20. twr102

twr102 TDPRI Member

I just like Joyo pedals after spending lots of money on high dollar pedals. Lucky me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.