1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can't bring myself to buy a Joyo pedal, new or used

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by CV Jee Beez, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Most overdrives are a variation on about 4 circuits, so according to your logic most of them are stolen. I have Marshall BB2, made in China, but priced for North America. if it makes you feel better to pay more, go ahead, but it's pointless.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  2. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

"It seems well established that many Joyo pedals break in a short period of use, as well as that many from Mosky and other Chinese brands simply do not work at all."
    No, it's not. I have about 10 Chinese pedals, they all work fine and none of them arrived DOA. If they did the manufacturers are very good about sending replacements, and you don't have to ship the dead one back either.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  3. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Afflicted

I use various sources of informations, newspapers, documentaries, Internet.
    Anyway, people still get arrested for only mentioning the Tian'anmeng massacre from '89. I call that violation of human rights.
    There are days were you can't see or breathe in some of the large chinese cities, due to air pollution from industrial plants and traffic. I call that irresponsible pollution.
    There are lierally millions of workers travelling from job to job throughout the country with nothing, but what they carry around.
    I haven't even started on the consequences of the "one-child-per-family" politics; leading to a massive overflow of young men, because female embryos were aborted.
    Claiming a "different culture" has been one of the common justification of the chinese gouvernement when confronted with unpleasant questions.Each and every country has its problems, but China is really not a place I want to live.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Am I the only one who's seen Crazy Rich Asians?

"Your family name is Chu? Are you from the Joyo pedal Chus?"

DrBGood likes this.
  5. Charlie Bernstein

Charlie Bernstein Poster Extraordinaire

Come on, he's making a good point. A lot of us are queazy about buying Pacific Rim products, for a lot of reasonable reasons.

Be fair. It's a lot harder to find a computer (or TV or toaster) made in North America than it is to buy a stomp box.

I'll confess that I've bought two cheap used Joyo pedals - a reverb that works well and an unimpressive trem.

But in general, I try to buy gear made closer to home. Can't think of anything wrong with that.

6. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

There is one sentence in the original post that caused me much amusement "The good news is I can still find affordable alternatives from US makers or trusted Asian brands like Boss, Maxon, and Ibanez".
    IBANEZ, the company that produced copies of Fender and Gibson guitars back in the sixties. I guess time makes acceptability. :)
    Just as a bit of trivia, one the first Ibanez pedals series were the series 5 released in metal or a nice curvy plastic case. These Japanese branded pedals were made in Taiwan by Daphon. Ibanez discontinued the series 5 pedals, Daphon now make and market the the series 5 plastic and metal cased versions under their own brand name. If you by a Daphon Tube Screamer you are getting an Ibanez Series 5 Tube Screamer in everything but the label stuck on it, same casing, same parts, same factory, same everything. I have a few of Daphon series 5 type pedals and they are great.
    Joyo may have started out "copying" , just as Japanes firms did in the 6os, but their latest offerings are inovative and "home grown". Have a look at their newest lines (i.e. thier multi effcets units) and you'll find less copies and more originality.

Treeface, Iago and CV Jee Beez like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

We really can't continue this discussion in a political direction here but I suggest you investigate further on your own so that you understand China better, particularly everyday life there. I recommend these YouTube channels...

https://www.youtube.com/user/churchillcustoms/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/serpentza/videos
    https://www.youtube.com/user/laowhy86/videos

8. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I believe that you're sincere, but the world hasn't worked that way for a very long time. I recently read that the car with the highest percentage of US made content was the Honda Accord - higher than GMs and Fords. All stomp boxes are filled with "foreign" parts regardless of the race / nationality of who soldered them together. Most everything you can buy has contributions from all over the world regardless of what it says on the label. What I guess is "wrong" with it is a) you're fooling yourself that that's what you're doing and b) you're fooling yourself that it's going to help your country by doing it. So I don't think it's wrong to "BUY USA" but I think it's pretty delusional to think that it makes any difference to anything in the real world.

I lived in the "Pacific Rim" for a bunch of years, so I guess I think of it as a real place with people who also are trying to put food on the table, living in the same global economy as you and I (and often buying American products such as fertilizer, GM seeds, tractors, FOOD, chemicals, and so on). I don't think it makes the world any better to think of it as us v. them.

Iago, bgmacaw and CV Jee Beez like this.
  9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Which is acceptable?:

Product assembled in China, with Chinese components, retailed from China
    Product assembled in US, with Chinese components, retailed from US
    Product assembled in US, with falsely labeled US components imported from China, retailed from US
    Product assembled in China, falsely labeled as made in US, retailed from US
    Product assembled in China, imported and labeled made in China, retailed from US

There are no other choices.

10. CV Jee Beez

CV Jee Beez Tele-Afflicted

Back with another insult and misguided assertion.

I'm starting to think you don't like me. :)

1. I've always heard that the ripoff of MI Audio Crunch Box was the JHS Angry Charlie.

2. I've never expressed an urge to buy a Suhr Riot or as I've already had one and wasn't my thing.

11. CV Jee Beez

You may want to reconsider planting a flag on low wages and/or child labor. Not the most inspiring of mantles.

logans_tele likes this.
  12. CV Jee Beez

Not really. I guess you don't know the difference between variation and duplication.

13. CV Jee Beez

In case anyone wanted to know, this thread is about me legitimately considering Joyo's because they're inexpensive and sound great. When I was about to pull the trigger< i decided against it.

I shared this experience I had. It just seems like some took it personally.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who almost gave in to this type of temptation.

Although IP was my main reason, here are some of the other reasons.

Patriotism
    An interest in having my money stay within my country and to be spent my neighbors and countrymen.
    I have the ability to come up with the extra scratch for the higher priced alternatives (this wasn't always the case).

So there you have it. Maybe this quell some of the strong reactions this has garnered. If not, it's the Internet, par for the course!

blues bondsman likes this.
  14. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Seems more like you did

15. CV Jee Beez

Not really. One poster called me a hypocrite for not buying a $4000 handmade microwave. Name calling and a weak argument. Then when I pointed that out he came back with self righteous and another weak argument. It was more Ad Hominem than salient points.

Most others had great points that I had not considered before they did. Those were the ones I liked.

16. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

look, don't let it get to you. no one wants you to do anything you don't want to do

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  17. johnhe

johnhe Tele-Meister

Perhaps it’s the fact that lots of folks aren’t Americans or live in the USA.

18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Then there's Mudville. No Joyo in Mudville.

johnhe likes this.
  19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pay the man, Shirley.

20. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

I think you are describing the first Marshall as well.

vjhn and CV Jee Beez like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.