Cannot say enough good things about TrueFire

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by StevesBoogie, Aug 1, 2020.

1. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

Hope I am not breaking any rules on TDPRI but I recently signed up for 3 different courses on TrueFire.

It is an absolutely amazing experience.

The courses literally walk you through every single note, lick, phrase, and melody. They have an embedded media player that allows you to slow things down to a crawl, and the embedded notation slows down at the same time. Then, you can add repeat functionality to it, where if you want to work on a particular phrase, you simply work on it endlessly.

And then, on top of all of that, there are three camera angles, one on the teacher's left hand, one on the right hand, and one as a body shot with all hands shown.

In my opinion it is the greatest recipe for getting better. It's amazing.

I am currently stoked on a Blues Acoustic Guitar series by David Hamburger. It has me reaching for my acoustic all the time because this stuff is so fun to learn.

If you are reading this, and you have not seen or been exposed to what TrueFire can do, I implore you to check it out. Its absolutely fascinating and so easy to learn.

2. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

The Soundslice synced to the instructional material is fantastic. I use the Truefire app offline for the courses I have purchased.
    I split screen between video and Soundslice. The different view settings are great and looping, backing tracks are only one click away.
    And the fact they haven't forgotten us Linux users. Quality material well worth the cost.

matrix and StevesBoogie like this.
  3. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

I really like some things and really don't like some things.

The online platform is cool. I like the In The Jam player thing (and hey, it runs fine on Linux!) and the premise of it. I like that everything doesn't have to be online, meaning you can just pay for a course of interest or some backing tracks to practice to and download it.

I don't like that alot of the courses are more like pamphlets for real courses that should be more indepth to be useful. In fact, most of the courses from really good players are that way. For example (not to single out any specific course), if you look at the lessons for Blues Refinery by Kid Andersen you would think that he might have something useful to say or at least something useful to point to on ear training and music theory. But he takes that time to only say to train your ears and learn music theory. Sorry, but that is not a lesson in the least. And during the All Access free trial I have looked at quite a number of courses and see very similar things. I actually didn't know at first that I had a free trial for All Access, and so I thought the courses I was looking at was preview material for the actual courses!

Another thing that I don't like is how some guys are providing tons of exercises without grounding them in anything practical in a meaningful way by putting what is being presented to actual use. For example, Frank Vignola has this seemingly massive Modern Guitar Method course of 111 lessons which is chocked full of exercise after excercise with just a handful of 'play alongs', mostly toward the end of the course, where I imagine most people aren't going to make it that far into the course out of boredom of doing endless exercises without playing and making music along the way.

In a nutshell, the tech and formats have alot of potential. But the content needs some pretty massive work in terms of direction and depth. I would say that in terms of content, the biggest pro is exposure to some good players, their styles, hearing and seeing them play some licks and ideas, being exposed to some ideas along the way, and hearing mentions of influences. But way too many of the courses aren't really courses at all, being more like 1-day seminars or longer format video blogs.

Truefire would do well to make a focused series on music theory that is grounded in putting theory to practical use through meaningful practice and playing, especially since most of these courses are lacking any required background theory. And this is coming from someone who has studied music theory. Telling someone to go learn theory or play what you feel is not a lesson. This stuff needs to be expanded on. Even better would be to produce such a music theory series and point to relevant topics throughout these 'courses' by players so as to provide the required music theory for getting something more out the lessons.

Here is a revelant user comment that I ran onto while looking at some of the theory focused courses on Truefire:

Nope. Not really. It's theory without being put to use. Why is that instructor teaching CAGED without showing how to do anything with it? That must have been frustrating for that user. Where is the content to bridge this course material to higher level playing focused courses? And on the flipside, most of the other courses are licks and techniques without theory. There is a minority of exceptions at Truefire that I have seen, but they seem to be very few.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  4. Titletone

Titletone TDPRI Member

I just got an email from TrueFire announcing that they now have a Roku app. Haven't tried it yet but I think it will come in handy.

Archtop Bill and StevesBoogie like this.
  5. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

Not all instructors are created equal. I think it depends what you want to get out of it and then look in on the ones that consistently deliver.

My favourites are Jeff mcerlaine, corey congilio, and jason Laughlin who have great stuff but really slow it down and walk you through it step by step. Some of the ‘master class’ guys like Scott sharrard and Matt schofield are also great but i think require a higher degree of competence before digging in as there is less of a break down. Which is also fine, I especially like the sharrard classes even if i’m only getting bits of it, but you should know what to expect before purchasing.

6. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Walter Broes, who is a member here, has a great Rockabilly course on TrueFire. Get it.

StevesBoogie, RomanS and eclipse like this.
  7. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

The Bill Kirchen lesson on TrueFire is the BEST!!!

I agree that the organization, accuracy, content, etc. is very good on TrueFire. I think I have 5 courses from them now. Will I learn every single concept presented, every one of the "50 licks you must know", etc.? Of course not. But I certainly have learned something from each one, and perhaps equally as important they have in each case motivated me to devote several hours to practice/learning. Considering each lesson was $5-$20, I'm declaring victory!

StevesBoogie, matrix and RomanS like this.
  8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Tele-Afflicted

None of the courses will turn you into a sight-reading professional player, but that's not what they are designed for. Nor will you learn specific songs, there are other platforms for that. They are however, accessible and informative with some great instruction. One course is less than the cost of a 30 minute lesson with a professional teacher, good value in my book.

StevesBoogie and E5RSY like this.
  9. StevesBoogie

Agreed. Jeff and Corey are awesome. Cool cats too. I always make sure I watch the 10-20 second intro from them on each lick. It really shows their passion.

Absolutely, added to Favorites! Thanks.

I believe his TrueFire video on YouTube was the one that enlightened me to TrueFire! Honest. The Hot Rod Lincoln one. And that very video might be solely responsible for me buying a new Tele this past May! Totally serious.

That's right, agree. I think the biggest reason why I got so turned on to TrueFire was this - I got back into guitar, with a bit of a vengeance, when I realized that I had no vocabulary. I had maybe 5 licks that I remembered from two decades ago. After feeling like I did enough pentatonic runs and noodling to get somewhere up to speed is when I hit YouTube. I will never forget finding the aforementioned Bill Kirchen lesson, which then led me to TrueFire. It is an unbelievably quick and affordable way to increase your vocabulary, and do it as fast as you want. Here's what I love ... you get to see a lick for the first time, you love how it sounds, and in your head you say 'I got this, this is easy' ... only to find that there are enough nuances in that 10 second lick that it takes a couple of hours, if not more, to get it right! LOL, pretty much happens to me every lick!

matrix likes this.
  10. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Yeah great site .. I mean, they where hacked last year and my credit card ended up with two 1200$ expenditures in Germany that I had to claim for, which luckily was without too much hassle.

Funny thing .. I suspected it to be Truefire at once since it was a new credit card and the only place I've bought anything online at that point was Truefire, but took them a year to send me a message that they've actually been hacked. Read about it online 6 months before they actually wrote to me ..

But yeah .. Their courses are great.

11. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic

The Jeff McErlain Blues Survival Guide (Rhythm edition) is unbelievable. I haven't looked at in ages but it had a major and positive impact on my guitar playing. Another course, not truefire, that is really excellent is JustinGuitar.com Master the Major Scale. Not to take the thread off topic but IMO those were the most useful classes I've come across. I had had a guitar forever and plateaued, and both of those opened up a lot of things. Highly recommend them both for players who have their chords and pentatonic scales down and then hit a wall.

nicknklv and StevesBoogie like this.
  12. E5RSY

Right. I think their real value is they allow someone to have fun, get a sense of accomplishment, and put a few tricks in their bag. Basically, they are fuel in the tank to help maintain enjoyment and interest in playing.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  13. E5RSY

I'll check it out. I have his Billy Gibbons course, and it is a blast.

14. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

Yeah, quite a major disapointment the way Truefire handled their data loss.
    Had the exact same experience.

Lobomov likes this.
  15. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

Nothing but love for truefire from me as well. I started working through their courses a little over 5 years ago, and there is no doubt that it has improved every aspect of my playing, and added immensely to the depth of my musical knowledge.

Not all courses are created equal, but neither are all players eh? There are a couple of instructors that don't seem to be especially popular, but have done me immense good as a player. Similarly, there are some instructors I don't particularly care for, but they seem to have fans and serve a different public.

Jason Loughlin, Jeff McEarlain, and Corey Congilio get a lot of much-deserved love.

But here is my list of "undersung heroes" who really helped me out:

Matthieu Brandt - Methodical, maybe even a bit slow, but I have gotten soo much out of his courses. Many of them are in Truefire's "older style", with 4 hours or more of material. I really think that working through some of his courses helped re-build my musical foundation, and fill in many, many holes that had hobbled me for decades.

Fareed Haque - Just a great teacher. He really breaks stuff down, and makes the complex way, way more simple

John Finn - A Berklee prof. His rhythm lab course is simple, methodical, and challenging. It kicked my butt, and really helped whip my right hand into (slightly better) shape.

Andy Timmons - the guy is deep. His "melodic muse" course has given me so much to work on. I regularly revisit the first couple of exercises. Brilliant, brilliant course to start feeling like maybe you be a musician.

Massimo Varini - (i) this guy is an absolute monster player. such perfection (ii) I really like his Italian accent (iii) not sure how I feel about this one, but my wife likes his accent too, so no complaints if I am listening to his courses when she is around (iv) he delivers an immense amount of info in his courses. Some of them are quite advanced - he does not exactly spoon feed you the material. But I find that with multiple viewings and coming back to material regularly, it starts to seep in. His stuff really feels like the master class, like somehow you happened to meet a real studio pro, and convinced him to give you a four hour lesson.

Robbie Laws: Just one course with a pedestrian "30 licks" title. But (a) the licks are carefully structured to take you through - and link - all of the pentatonic positions, and (b) I love the way this guy phrases. Just trying to copy how he would play a given set of notes - that I would have phrased very differently - was an education.

dswo and StevesBoogie like this.
  16. StevesBoogie

Thanks for the tip! Just checked out Robbie's offering and added to Favorites. I really like the way all of the licks are in the same key and that he covers six licks per position.

matrix likes this.
  17. eclipse

eclipse Tele-Meister

Another Truefire data breach, as per this post on The Gear Page.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/another-true-fire-data-breach.2172424/

18. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder how they are just now learning that they had a data breach, 6 months later. It seems that this was also the case in the previous data breach mentioned in this thread. And I would think that they would send out an email about it, as well as a notification on the Truefire site, but I see nothing of that sort. I only see an email for $5 off next purchase for leaving a review and a message on Truefire to upgrade to All Access.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 9:44 AM
  19. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Yeah .. apparently we need to survey guitar forums for data breach news instead of Truefire mailing us

20. CupofJoe

CupofJoe TDPRI Member

I started with True Fire over twenty years ago (I actually had to look back at the CDs) and Wow! It was the country course full of Hellecasters stuff and boy it set me off on the path ... sorry they are having data trouble but I’ve been a fan for a long time...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.