Cannot help a brother out shame. Facebook rant.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Donny Osmond fan, May 16, 2019.

1. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's

"To rant about Snowflakes is to be a Snowflake".

2. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Tele-Afflicted

FB is a sh*thole. I was in the,"Pedalboards of Doom" club. The Pedalboard police jumped me for using the wrong connectors & then they all piled on. I proceeded to let them know exactly where they could stuff their connectors. Then realized that I really hated FB & deleted my account.

Chunkocaster and Flyboy like this.
  3. Flyboy

Flyboy Tele-Meister

It sucks your soul, that site. Been off FB for 8 months and Twitter for 3. I feel like I've been liberated from the grip of an addictive drug.

4. Artunes

Artunes Tele-Meister

Myth? Do you know what the word 'myth' means? It works like this. A person wants to start a Facebook group, or club, to talk about his or her passion for "xxx" guitars with some like-minded individuals. That person makes a rule that they only want conversation about "xxx" guitars, and not "yyy" or "zzz" guitars, because he or she has no interest in the latter two. It's his or her club, and they make the rules. If you aren't interested in following those rules, then you should go elsewhere. Or better, start your own group, or club, and make your own rules. I certainly wouldn't tell the leader of the club that he or she is a snowflake, and that their rules are stupid.

Dave W and Hatfield92 like this.
  5. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Is he a charactor in Alita Battle Angel ? I skipped it.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  6. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

Yes. I understand. I see it every day. I use Facebook to wach my church and other church services. Talk to my friends and family every day. Clubs too. But the amount of troll post, people that start trouble, and all the guitar
    myths drag you down.

I never have done that or will never do that. But once at a video game club. I never knew of the rule anyway's. And start my own club. No. And I heard the word snow flake alot. I never knew what it meant. I had to look it up. I'm getting older and I'm out of the young people's language loop. I'm like the parents on Family Matters. Thay listend to a tape the kids made explaing the slang word of the 90's lol. I may need something like that.

7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Snowflake :

A term for someone that thinks they are unique and special, but really are not. It gained popularity after the movie "Fight Club" from the quote “You are not special. You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else."

Began being used extensively as a putdown for someone, usually on *edit* who is easily offended or felt they needed a "safe space" away from the harsh realities of the world, but now has morphed into a general putdown for anyone that complains about any subject.

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Yea, a long way of saying, folks get carried away. Or, folks get too serious. Thanks, I needed that.

9. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

Thanks I did not know that.

10. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Here s a descriptive phrase I coined. .....THE NEW STALINISTS......
    Thats who you re dealing w on facebook. Here the worst we have is "Registered Contrarians", they re far less obnoxious.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

I don't want to break any forum rules, but it's not just the guitar community that is seeing that kind of behavior. Something about social media really reinforces the us vs them dynamic. It has made it so easy to live in whatever bubble you choose, and filter out anything that might challenge your preferred narrative.

Marquee Moon and Teleterr like this.
  12. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

donny, this is a good time to remind all of us...

'one bad apple don't spoil the whole bunch'

I think you need to give ol zuckerberg 'one more chance' so you don't miss out on the 'love' of sharing with internet friends.

nvilletele likes this.
  13. Rev Rhythm

Rev Rhythm Tele-Meister

I gave up Facebook for years but recently joined back specifically for a guitar group, centered around my favorite guitar podcast... I've limited other interactions and muted people whose posts aggravate me. I think it's possible to have the experience you want.. You just might not get to interact with everyone and everything.

14. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

It's also become very derogatory and derisive, and extremely dismissive insult.

I'll take any alternative to Friendface. FB is like smoking for me - I wonder why anyone still does it.

etype and telemnemonics like this.
  15. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Only if you complain about certain things. It's perfectly okay to complain about women's rights or same-sex bathrooms. For a whole lot of people, complaining about those things just makes you a real man. But if you complain about sexist advertising, then you're a snowflake.

If you complain that the payload capacity of your Ram truck isn't big enough, you're a real man. If you complain that the payload capacity of your Toyota Tundra isn't big enough, then you're a snowflake.

Sasz, flathd, william tele and 5 others like this.
  16. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Don't see any sort of snowflake there.

17. Prince1999

Prince1999 TDPRI Member

Well, a few of my friends call it "faceass" . Guess I can leave that one at face value... they've been known to be in FB jail and have not so nice names like asshat for the moderators that really are behind the scenes with a political bent and timing people out over there, for something as simple as reposting another thread. Go figure, it's OK if one poster puts it up, but if you put it up again, they delete it and time you out. No consistency.

18. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

So, I was at this restaurant once and ordered the club sandwich, and I got one! Even though I wasn't part of the club on FB!

Anyway,
    People on Facebook feeling the need to enforce such one sided crazy tend to be the types whose self worth relies on them being "that guy/gal" about everything. They're the types who, if encountered in real life, freak out if you dispute what they say. Something as simple as "that rock wont fit in that hole, it's too big" gets excessive anger, and when they validate they were incorrect, theres a reason that almost certainly was caused by external factors (real or otherwise) that caused them to be incorrect, and often the outcome shows that whoever contradicted them was also wrong through some sort of semantics.
    In real life, I tend to only meet these types in comic shops (when they cant believe Thor could beat up Superman, even though he has a magic hammer, etc) and i can laugh and move on.
    But the internet gives everyone a voice (even me, unfortunately for us all...) so a side effect is these types of folks doing these types of things.

Incidentally, I love the rules here, because they restrict the obvious things that turn good people into thier "that guy" alter ego. Even though most users on here are In fact good folks who can comfortably live in a world where opinions contrary to thier own can be perfectly valid and respect them, we dont have to worry about it.

backporchmusic likes this.
  19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

"Snowflake" and "sheeple" are two words that tell you what colour a feller's baseball cap is. It is signalling, unless someone doesn't know what's goin on.

20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Or a thread about bacon, if you think about it.

Teleterr, kelnet and Rev Rhythm like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.