Cannibis Rex - tips?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Fishin Musician, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Fishin Musician

Fishin Musician TDPRI Member

I have a Celestion V30 that I really like in a Fender Deluxe 1x12 closed back cabinet. I liked it so much I put it in my kit built 5E3 combo and it SUCKED, I suspect due to the open back. Now I am thinking about getting a 2nd cabinet and putting a Cannibis Rex in it. So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this speaker and can recomend if its suited to an open or closed back cabinet.

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

The C-Rex sounded great in my Fender Blues Junior. :)

urbandefault and Fishin Musician like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I find the C rex has a dull top end, and used to love the V30 but found speakers I like better.

In the '90s I had a real 5e3 with a V30 in it and the combo sounded fine.
    What is it you hear that sucks?
    V30 is fine in open or closed back, though the rating is 65w open and 70w closed IIRC.

Maybe you just prefer a different speaker but nobody can suggest a better choice without knowing what you don't like about the V30 in the 5e3.

Fishin Musician likes this.
  4. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

@telemnemonics is correct in that it is hard to know what you don’t like. That said, I have a C Rex in my PRII, and it is the perfect speaker for me. One man’s “dull top end” is another man’s “tames the shrillness.”

5. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

My '65 Blackface PRRI has a 12" C-Rex speaker. It's open back, (obviously), and to me, it sounds fantastic!
    DSCN0059 (2).JPG

6. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

CR in an open backed ampeg gvt15. It’s staying right there.
    Here’s a recent video of the rig pushed by a full drive 2

7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Holic

Haha..... I put a CRex in my PRRI on everyone's recommendation and absolutely hated it! Each to their own ears.

They are great for de-Fendering a Fender amp, if that is your objective.

It is a very warm sounding speaker as mentioned above.

8. drmmrr55

drmmrr55 Tele-Holic

De-Fendering? That's a new one!:twisted:

Deathray and Fishin Musician like this.
  9. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a fan of the crex, tried it in several amps.
    Gb128 is a speaker I've liked in every amp I've tried it in. Bet it would sound great in your 5e3.

10. Henry Mars

Henry Mars Tele-Afflicted

I never cared for the V30 ... I do use the C. Rex in a few of my amps and it fits my style and taste. I isn't the speaker that is going to solve every problem. I also use the G12H30 ... completely different animal. Experimenting with speakers can get pricey. One of my solutions is using a head and swapping out speaker cabinets when I need a different sound ... not so much these days but that is what I used to do.

Wobbles likes this.
  11. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I have the same amp and it sounds amazing. Very sweet and very efficient. C Rex works great in a open back can imo.

Fishin Musician and GGardner like this.
  12. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

I’ve had both speakers in the past. The V30 sounds really good when you can crank it up, not so good at lower volume to my ears. I had a love/hate relationship with the C-Rex. One day I thought it sounded good, the next day not so good. It’s a very warm sounding speaker and I would agree with some others that it knocks off a little too much high end for my taste.

This speaker has ended my search. It sounds great with all of my amps and speaker cabinets.

upload_2020-4-5_8-21-40.jpeg

BlueCajun likes this.
  13. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

14. willie

willie TDPRI Member

The C Rex, and indeed all hemp coned speakers, require an extensive break in period before you will get anything close to optimum performance.

15. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I bought my C Rex used for the purposes of cutting some treble with the amp I used most at the time, a Carr Hammerhead with rotary switches but no tone knobs. The C Rex was slightly broken in and I ran the thing hard for weeks, as I'm used to from breaking in a lot of speakers. I know that sh!##y sound of a speaker that needs more break in time!

What I got in the end was indeed less bright but not what I'd call warm the way many hear a dull top end.
    I have other speakers with the same amount of high cut that I would indeed call "warm" sounding.
    I actually have a quad of Eminence special order speakers that are warm and fat with some high cut and sound way nicer to me than the C Rex, but they are 16 ohm so unsuited to the Hammerhead.
    I also have an old Celestion G12T-75 that has tight but full bass and a similar bit of high cut, and also sounds much sweeter than the C Rex. Again, 16 ohm so wrong for the Hammerhead. Sweet sound for an unloved vintage Celestion from the hair metal age before all our gear was made in China.

For players who have the dread ice pick problem and cannot get rid of it with knob or pickup adjustment, the C Rex will likely cut that ice pick. For me the other stuff it cuts makes it a no go though.
    On the internet we see lots of complaints of ice pick tone, though that was a bigger talking point in the last five years than these days, I guess because solutions were found and old threads full of ice pick killing info negate the need to keep talking about it.

I'd consider a UK made G12T-75 if one is for sale locally, they used to be cheap but now there's a premium on old UK Celestions so maybe not a great deal any more.

It's funny, I also bought a Tonkerlite and broke that in for weeks only to find I couldn't stand that speaker any more than the C Rex as the Tonkerlite was unbearably ice picky. Might like them better if they cabbed together!

16. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

I would check out the Mojotone BV30V - it’s sweeter and less pokey than a V30, but not dull like a CRex.

17. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I love a C-Rex in lots of amps, but I hate it in my 5e3. If you want loud and strong, a Legend 1258 sounds fantastic in there. I'm not a fan of Celestion speakers in Fenders.

18. Wobbles

Wobbles Tele-Meister

Tone Tubby Purple Haze. That's my go to speaker. Open or closed back.

19. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Afflicted

Ha. I was thinking the same thing. As a general matter, amp speakers, like people, that are smooth, rounded, and dependably polite might be considered "dull" by some depending on what qualities you find attractive.

Fishin Musician and jsnwhite619 like this.
  20. Gib58

Gib58 TDPRI Member

I have a CRex in my DRRI and absolutely love it!
    It will always be in my amp.

Fishin Musician likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.