Canned Heat

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by jaimed, Jul 28, 2017.

1. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Dan R likes this.
  2. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Love Canned Heat. What a story, although tragic. John Mayall flew from England to Laurel Canyon, CA to spend time with that band. That was a significant event. Sometimes bands only exist a short time. A classic band to be sure.

3. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Liked Harvey, "The Snake", Mandel guitar playing but really liked Canned Heat period!

After listening to the lyrics, guess times haven't changed that much.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    61fury likes this.
  4. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Grew up in El Lay and saw the band many times. The first time Stevie played in town was at the Palace in 1983 and I was outside by the stage doors with Junior and Hollywood Fats firing up when the door burst open and Stevie came out and said we weren't paying to get in. Hellavah show.

rjtwangs likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Maybe someone out there can help fill in some dates....sometime in the late 60's or very early 70's we went to see Canned Heat at Panther Hall in Ft Worth....There were 3 or 4 bands on the bill....someone in The Heat was sick (for some reason I think it was Larry Taylor) and they couldn't play. We were told to keep our ticket stubs and they would play a "make-up" show later. The band that ended up headlining the show was Bubble Puppy of Hot Smoke and Sassafras fame...they put on one heck of a show, well worth the ticket price. BUT!!!!....a few weeks later Canned Heat did their "make-up" show, with a full bill of 3 or 4 more bands....this was before Blind Al died, if that helps determine dates, and I think (but can't swear) that Harvey Mandel was on guitar. I'm guessing ticket prices were $4-6....WHAT A DEAL!!!

6. rjtwangs

rjtwangs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I only saw Fats twice, when he played with the Blasters....got to know him just a bit. We exchanged phone numbers and 3 weeks later he was gone...there should be a thread about the Hollywood Fats Band and Michael " Hollywood Fats " Mann....whatta player! At that time IMHO, Fats may well have been THE MAN, with only Bloomfield in the same league....heady stuff to be sure....loved Fats!!

RJ

texastengu likes this.
  7. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

I saw them in the later years with Walter Trout (early in his career, I assume) on lead guitar. He/they were awesome!

texastengu likes this.
  8. jaimed

jaimed Poster Extraordinaire

9. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

Man, you made go back and dig out some old Canned Heat. Thanks, I had forgotten what a hot band it was.

10. Big Steve

Big Steve Tele-Holic

Loved the early Woodstock era band. Loved the Hollywood Fats/Junior band. After that, they lost there way. I still see the drummer doing shows under Canned Heat occasionally.

Larry Taylor the bass player still plays a lot around LA. He also tours a lot with major acts. He tells me he has played on more records than anyone else. He was the bass player on all the Monkees records during the hey day of Canned Heat.

Check out Larry's list of songs he played on. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Taylor

11. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Yeah man

Recently, I got a Goldtop, an old Deluxe, and first thing I played was Canned Heat

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.