Canned Heat

3-Chord-Genius

Poster Extraordinaire
I just watched that video, and a few others from that set. Pretty bada**. I also discovered that the slide guitarist is the Kermit the Frog singer.

Mjark

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
I saw them play in college once. All I can recall is the singer taking a big hit of Jack someone handed up to him.

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
Owl could play harp. And Larry "the Mole" Taylor is great too.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Larry Taylor always looks like he's having a blast on stage, thumping away on that bass.
Saw them live at Panther Hall in the early seventies. Larry was constantly moving, and held his bass almost straight up (Wyman style) like an upright. He played into an Acoustic 360, which was THE bass amp at the time. It was set so "bassy" you almost couldn't distinguish actual note pitches.....and it wasn't loud at all, but the bass was definitely there. Cool memory for me.....;)

Chiogtr4x

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter

Love the sound of this Les Paul!

Great technique with the slide and his right hand too
Solid and melodic!
You can learn real finesse and touch just watching and listening to this one song. And the rhythm guitar really anchors the freedom and space for the lead...

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
Canned Heat seems sadly forgotten among great bands of the '60s. They were HUGE for a while, and as other blues bands drifted into pop and psychedelia, they stayed true to their mission of promoting the blues revival. Alan Wilson was a fascinating and very smart person, gone far too young. He's the guy who re-taught Son House how to "play like Son House" for his return to performing after decades away. They had a unique sound and vision.

This multi-part interview with Alan Wilson is well worth listening to if you have any interest in the blues revival, British blues, or music of the '60s. He starts out with a still-relevant discussion of volume and tone.

Last edited:

Nubs

Friend of Leo's
One of my favorite classic bands I had recently rediscovered in the past few years. Their stuff with John Lee Hooker is great work too!

Fito is my favorite as he's a left handed drummer, like me :)