1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cannabis Rex Vs. Tone Tubby

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jack, Jan 8, 2010.

1. Jack

Jack Tele-Meister

Has anyone actually compared the two side by side in the same setting? If so I'd like to hear you observations. I love the Rex, but am curious if the TT is worth the extra bucks.

Tks.

2. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Tone Tubby makes the hemp cone that is used in the manufacture of the Eminence C-Rex. Both have hemp cones, but that is where the similarity ends:

TT 40/40: 50w, 70-6k freq range, 102 dB sens, 100 Hz res freq, 50 oz
    C-Rex: 50w, 70-5k freq range, 102 dB sens, 96 Hz res freq, 38 oz

I have the Tone Tubby 40/40 in my Crate V1512T. Looks like I'm getting the C-Rex for my BJr. I'll let you know in about a week or so. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. telbert twang

telbert twang Tele-Holic

how about the clarity / glassyness on cleans TT VS C-rex ?

4. DrewB

DrewB Tele-Afflicted

Actually, Eminence has a licensing agreement with A Brown Soun. Eminence makes the Cannabis Rex. I don't know if they use the same cones, but I'd doubt it.

5. dbeeman

dbeeman TDPRI Member

The C-Rex is brighter than the ALnico Tubby I had. Richer than the Ceramic tubby.
    Better IMHO

6. stevesz

stevesz Tele-Holic

I'm somewhat familiar with tone tubbies and I kind of like them and a friend of mine swears by them. But I haven't heard the CRex's so I want to keep an eye on this thread. :)

7. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

All I can say is that my 12" ceramic tone tubby sounded great out of the box. I use it with a Ceriatone Dumble clone and a Ceriatone Trainwreck clone. I wish I could try the Eminence.

8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, you're right. Gotta choose my words more carefully.

Eminence makes the Cannabis Rex. Tone Tubby makes the hemp cone that is used in the manufacture of the Cannabis Rex.

9. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

I had a Cannabis Rex but I smoked it.

barker likes this.
  10. DrewB

DrewB Tele-Afflicted

John Harrison (A Brown Soun) got his start in the speaker business reconing speakers for SF-area musicians. His cone supplier is a company in Chicago, but I don't know what company that is. He was using paper-pulp cones like everyone else until he saw a documentary about the U.S. Constitution being written on hemp paper. Noting the obvious longevity of the hemp paper, he asked his supplier if they could make the same cone he was using from hemp. He also acquired some hemp-fiber "plywood" that he made some speaker cabinets from and reported that they sounded incredible. Carlos Santana uses a couple of these cabinets, not that you'd hear the subtleties of different materials in his sound...

11. OM 21

OM 21 Tele-Meister

I had a Cannabis Rex and now have an alnico Tone Tubby. I've run them both through the same 1x12 cab with both a Blues Jr and my Genz Benz Black Pearl 30. For my ears, I found the TT to be the superior tone. I thought that the C Rex, which I really like, sounded less alive, almost like it had a light blanket over it when compared to the TT. I will say that the C Rex is a great speaker upgrade for the Blues Jr, but for my GB, and any other amp voiced for alnicos, the TTs are going to be the speaker to go with. YMMV.

With all of that said, I sure am curious about the Eminence Canis Major, hemp/alnico speaker.

12. iim7v7im7

iim7v7im7 Tele-Meister

I cannot provide a comparison, but I would be happy to give you my impressions of 12" alnico Tone Tubby H1E which I have in a open back, pine cabinet.

I have tried it with two different types of 6V6 based amps: an Allen Accomplice (BF style AB763 circuit) and a Li'l Dawg D-Lux (Tweed style, 5E3 circuit).

It is a very full frequency speaker and because of this, it can percieved as dark sounding. I think this is partially a human perception issue when the bass, mids and highs are presented at similar sound pressure levels (my opinion). It is a very smooth sounding speaker that is very open sounding but when pushed, it will compress. It takes a very long time to break in as well (>30 hours).

I did not like it as much with my 5E3 as I did with the AB763 (still use it with this amp). I ended up going with a Weber 12A150A for the Tweed amp.

Good Luck,

Bob

13. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

They might make the cone, but they don't make the paper....

14. Joey

Joey Tele-Holic

I put a C-Rex in my heavily modded Blues Junior and a 10" Tone Tubby 40/40 ceramic in a pro Junior. In both applications the results were positive, taming any "ice pick"highs and creating a smooth,warmer tone. The Tone Tubby appears to be slightly cleaner. But I was comparing a 12" to a 10" speaker.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.