1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cannabis Rex / Texas Heat

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gitapik, Oct 16, 2012.

1. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Hi,

I've got a Blues Jr with BillM's mods. 30 watts. It's a beauty.

It's a NOS with the original Jensen C12k in there. I'm into the sound and letting it break in. But I'm wondering about the two speakers mentioned in my title.

I'm wondering how they maintain their edge. I like bright speakers when they break in because they cut through nicely. Does anyone have a longtime friend in the Cannabis Rex or Texas Heat that can tell me about that aspect...?

Thanks.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

- Nice..How did you bump up to 30 watts... 6L6?
    - Cannabis might be too dark.

3. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Most folks swap in a C-Rex driver because it warms up, while at the same time, tames, the inherent ice picky, spikey, high frequencies present in certain Fender amps.

I had a C-Rex in a BJr a few years back. It really warmed up and smoothed out the highs in that BJr.

4. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

I MUCH prefer the Texas Heat over the Cannibus Rex.

I too have a BillM modded Blues Jr, and I thought the CRex speaker was too dull. The Texas Heat (and Swamp Thang) are my favorite speakers. Seriously, you've love the Texas Heat in your amp.

Have fun...

5. SlideGuy123

SlideGuy123 Tele-Meister

I did the basic BillM mods in my cream board Blues Jr, which helped a lot. Then I swapped in the Texas Heat and got more of the good stuff, less of the nasty tone. Haven't tried the C Rex, but I wouldn't want to lose any of the upper end -- now, it's not ice-picky, but it still cuts through, and I've got plenty of low end and warmth.

As the Texas Heat broke in, it got even better -- a little stiff sounding at first, but loosened up pretty quickly.

6. gitapik

gitapik Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Thanks guys. Interesting situation. I actually really like the Jensen C12k with my G&L ASAT and Les Paul (split coil humbuckers). Both those guitars have a nice warmth to the bridge pups and the Jensen responds very well to that. Even as a new speaker. It's my Strat with the noiseless DiMarzios that gets that ice pick thing going. But the mids and lows are beautiful with all the guitars.

Besides the ice pick, I've also got a crackle that occurs at high volumes with the Ab on the 16th fret low E string and 11th fret A string, exclusively. Not a rattle but a crackle after the note. Doesn't happen with an extension cab subbed in for the Jensen. I know it might be some other thing..but it could be the speaker. So I'm checking out options.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.