1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Cannabis Rex Speaker in a PR

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by cboutilier, Nov 4, 2016.

1. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

Anyone try it? What did you think?

I have a Princeton Reverb clone head, that I normally play through an old Jensen EM1500. It sounds lovely, but easily gets I to ice pick territory.

I have a brand new C-Rex kicking around that I plan to put with this amp in a combo cab. Wondering how it might sound before I put it together.

2. OaklandA

OaklandA Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Years back I fitted a PRRI with a 12" baffle and ran it with a C-Rex. It sounded great. But to be honest, a Tone Tubby 10" ceramic I had in there sounded better. Either way, the hemp cone speakers sound pretty good in those amps, imo.

ruger9 likes this.
  3. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

I havent tried one in a Princeton, but I've got one in one of my custom blonde cabs. With both a 5E3 head and a '60 brownface Super, it sounds great. Full-bodied vintage tone and took very little time to break in. Another identical cab has a Weber Chicago -- a favourite among the vintage replica crowd -- but I find the Rex sounds just as good. In Canada, you also pay much less as Nextgen/ McBride stocks Eminence.

Cheers

4. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

I'm not sure I'm sold on a CRex. I put one in a typical Mod’ed Blues Jr. It’s kind of dark and kind of focused in some certain band widths.

It’s a great speaker but I’m not sure if it’s what I personally like.

I only use the amp for small venues and use it for a clean platform with a pedal rig. The speaker works great… in fact because it is so focused in certain band widths it’s hard to play in that offensive treble frequency that Telecasters seem to find naturally…

5. ddhr

ddhr Tele-Holic

I use one in my DR and find that it tames some of the highs, just as I wanted. I think they are pretty efficient as well, so that can be nice in a PR too.

6. cboutilier

I can NOT use the bright switch on my PR clone with a Tele bridge pickup and the old Jensen 15''. It's cruel.

7. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

Then you might want to give the CRex a try. It's not a bad speaker by any means. It doesn't flub out at the lower freq's.. Doesn't have that sparkle and chime some speakers have... but clear responsive and articulate non the less. Honestly IMO... it's a good choice if you play Tele's or guitars with TV Jones... (pups that have high freq's)

8. cboutilier

I'll give it a try. I already have the CR. I took it in on a trade. I play a tele >75% of the time. And my Les Paul has a fairly bright bridge pickup.

9. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I initially fell in love with the warm, detailed, authoritative, LOUD tone of C-Rex speakers. But when at gig volumes, I concluded over time the they are less "responsive" (best word I can come up with) than other speakers. They feel "ponderous". As if you can feel the cone not wanting to move. Much to my surprise I came to figure out I love Celestions (which I initially wrote off). Go figure.

10. cboutilier

I've only ever played one amp with a Celestion ( greenback in a Traynor). The only speakers I've ever spent any amount of time with are my Jensen EM1500 and Emi Lady Luck

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have been gigging withe CR in my 74 PR for years. They are a near perfect combination for me.
    Remember that a new CR takes 20+ hours to break in.

IMG_20110614_233137.jpg

12. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I wonder how the 10" Lil' Buddy compares to the C-Rex? It'd be nice to not have to change the baffle...

13. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

I think you're on to something. I tried a 125 watt Eminence speaker (Delta Demon) in a Princeton Reverb. It's not very efficient, but it absolutely won't flub out and it had a warm tone. Still didn't feel right. So I built a 12" baffle and installed a 70s Philco alnico speaker I had. Small magnet, looks like a 30 watt speaker. Man, what a difference ... not just in the sound (more articulate, still plenty of lows) but more dynamic and responsive.

The Eminence was broken-in. The Philco was played to death. I surmise the main difference in "feel" (vs sound) is that the moving parts of the alnico are lighter than the Eminence, and the surround and spider are more flexible.

It does break up a little sooner, and a little more gritty, but I wasn't looking for headroom, just "sensitivity".

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.