CandyCaster new build

Robnik33

Tele-Meister
Finished my second build, a Candy Apple Red alder CandyCaster!

IMG_5077.jpeg

IMG_5076.jpeg

Specs:

Fender American Elite compound neck, 9.5 - 14" radius, 0.847" / 1st fret, 0.920" 12th fret

Fender modern locking tuners

Genuine Fender Deluxe Candy Apple Red body with heel contour

Wilde Bill Lawrence Alnico Microcoil pickups

Vega Trem VT1 tremolo bridge

Master tone with push/pull cap values, 22nf down, 4.7nf up

No load blender between bridge and neck

Impressions:

I love the Fender Elite necks, I used one on my Tele and waited to find the Strat version, it is the reason for this build.

I was very interested in trying the Wilde Alnico Microcoils. I have Keystones on my Sparklecaster Tele and love them. The design approach of extended range is spot on, use your tone knobs to shape the tone, cause you can’t roll off mud. Also a great story plus the legacy being carried on by Becky and Shannon.

The Vega Trem is awesome! Very responsive with no lag. You can even get new sounds by a quick hit on the bar. Very expressive and smooth. A very worthwhile upgrade!

And it was interesting to find that Candy Apple Red replaced Shell Pink in 1963 as a custom Fender color. Candy finishes were showing up on hot rods, where they sprayed tinted clear over a base of silver or gold metallic.

Robnik33

Tele-Meister
For those of you size obsessed, the Vega Trem arm is 6 3/4" with the bend 4" from the collet. The Wilkinson/Gotoh VSVG arm on another Strat is 6".

I like the feel and position of the arm, especially the screw in collet. You can set it rigid or loose, I like it in between where is slowly drops away. I do notice the height at the collet when picking near the bridge, it stands taller than the curved screw in arm. Requires a slightly different hand position for the upper strings, but only when picking near the bridge.

BlueShadows

Tele-Meister
I had the microcoils on my last strat...really like them. But I'm also a bit of a Bill Lawrence fanboy, have keystones in my Tele as well. Nice build!

Wildcard_35

Tele-Holic
I am midway through getting stuff for a Strat build and thought about the Vega Trem. Looks cool, but man they are a little pricey. Good job on your guitar, though!