1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Candy Apple Red/Rosewood Fretboard options? Fender/Warmoth/Allparts?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Chimey1, Mar 7, 2021.

1. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

What's my best bang for buck options if I want to buy one or put one together? I'd just buy a MIM Player if they had this option. I don't want the Sonic Red/Pau Ferro (which is discontinued anyways, I think)

Anyway, I'm thinking MIM price range, moder-nish specs (9.5...or Warmoth 10-12 radius, modern 6 saddle bridge (not ashtray) ...Thanks! :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  2. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

Warmoth.com
    Allparts.com
    Mightymite.com
    Bestguitarparts.com
    Musikraft.com

Those are the most widely used sources. I'm using Warmoth just for their "Unique Choices" option because I want to see the character of my fretboard before I purchase. You can get a dead, boring looking fretboard even from a gorgeous wood species.

frank a, Skydog1010 and Chimey1 like this.
  3. Smoothlikebutta

Smoothlikebutta TDPRI Member

I have a MIM 2006 classic series tele in candy apple red. Rosewood fretboard but with the vintage 7.25 radius and the three saddle bridge with ashtray, but that's easily changed.... here's a listing for one on Reverb -

https://reverb.com/p/fender-classic...p2BccKE5Xf9WEAPqv1hxdSrzgLB1mPrhoC2qkQAvD_BwE

It's was a nice guitar when I bought it new for around $600 new. This last year I upgraded the wiring and pickups and saddles and now it's a great guitar.

frank a and Chimey1 like this.
  4. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Afflicted

It is hard to beat Warmoth, because they will custom create whatever you think up. They aren't budget priced, but the fit & finish are amazing. Zero issues on this build of mine 20210126_062810.jpg 20210131_145032~2.jpg

RomanS, Jake909, frank a and 5 others like this.
  5. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

There was a version of the G&L ASAT Tribute in that color scheme.

Chimey1 likes this.
  6. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Ask Muddy where he got his.

Chimey1 likes this.
  7. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Yep. Muddy Waters invented electricity! :D

playforfun, frank a and Dan German like this.
  8. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Looking for bodies and necks that'll fit all standard Fender spec parts tho. Or, a Fender model put together from the factory already. ie: used MIM Standard? Did they have them, what years? I'd get a MIM Muddy Waters Tele if they were available new. Tele Deluxe reflector knobs and all. Lol I like em... they got numbers. ;)

9. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

Cheryl Crowe?

Chimey1 likes this.
  10. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Had to look it up but yep she plays one. Looked like she has a custom shop sig sunburst tho?

985plowboy likes this.
  11. 985plowboy

985plowboy Friend of Leo's

That I’m not sure about.

12. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Scratch the body/neck idea. I'm not up for putting one together now really. Any other production Fender Tele's I could be looking at in the Player price range? Doesn't even have to be Candy Apple Red...or Rosewood. :lol: Maybe close...or entirely different. :D I just want a good Tele. :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2021
  13. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

Anything in CAR is pretty scarce now, even if you step up in price. If you are open to anything Telecaster in the price range of a Player, get a Player. Or a used MIM Standard. Gig worthy if that matters.

For a few dollars more:
    https://reverb.com/item/38004440-fe...9.x_VgFbEb4pjcOV2ef6l3RCj7n0gt2LKzSJaGx7CovTc

Slightly more choices if you are open to a non traditional Tele, such as a Nashville or 70 Vintera with humbuckers.

Chimey1 likes this.
  14. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Yeah, looking around is making me rethink not putting one together. Man, Fender just makes nothing I want...for under $1000. I might just play what I got...keep looking... acquire parts...

15. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/parts...ridge-mount---candy-apple-red/0998006709.html
    They have em on ebay and reverb all the time. I just bought one yesterday, tho oly white not CAR. And most at least on reverb list weight so if u want a light one like i wanted check them all out and if not now there will eventually be a nice light one. I was shocked i found one that was 3.5 Lbs and grabbed it.

As for necks, thats a tough one. i wanted rosewood too and was willing to go 7.25 but wanted 9.5. Got lucky and found a rosewood baja at TGP. But i've been looking for a long time for a neck and it's really hard to find that today. People have bought up all the fender necks with rosewood and all u can find are expensive stuff like AO's and such unless u go non fender which ain't for me. Good luck with your search.

Chimey1 and nicknklv like this.
  16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Poster Extraordinaire

Guitar Mill is my first go-to, and if they can't do it, I go to Musikraft.

I do not much care for USACG or Warmoth. GM and MK, I find much more in line with the kinds of things I want.

If this is your first assembly project, be advised going into it that once it is assembled, it probably isn't even worth half what you will have spent on it. You should be aiming to make a "lifer" guitar here, unless you like throwing money away. I wouldn't bat an eye at spending for the specs I want, when doing an assembly...but I also don't act fickle, and turn around in a year, when I am bored of the instrument, expect someone on the market to pay me "what I have into it," and get indignant when the market doesn't want to. I see people doing this all the time, and it's ludicrous. Doing assemblies is a labor of love, done for yourself, not a monetary investment with the potential for even breaking even (let alone profit). If you can't stomach that, just find a used guitar to buy instead.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Chimey1 likes this.
  17. Chimey1

Chimey1 Tele-Meister

Thanks. Those CAR Fender Classic Series bodies seem the way to go if I really need a CAR build.

18. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

It’s either the Fender replacement body or order from the Fender Mod Shop. Go on Stratosphereparts.com and find all the fender parts to make it just the way you like. (Or pretty darn close)

Chimey1 likes this.
  19. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

It's a good choice. They are good quality and reasonable. Finish is great too. I have a MIM classic series 69 thinline in CAR and it's a great tele and the finish is perfect. I was not a fan of any kind of red when i bought it but couldn't pass it up at the price. I've come to like CAR now ! Note what i said about weight....they vary wildly. Theres one up now at 6.5 Lbs ! Thats exactly what my thinline weighs ! Theres also one at 4 Lbs 5 oz which is the lightest i see there now. But if you want lighter there will be one if you wait. Check daily using the "newest first" filter. I did and asi said got a 3.5 Lb one which is crazy light. Long as u aren't in a big hurry thats the way to go for a CAR body IMO. Takes the vintage bridge too.

Chimey1 likes this.
  20. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.