CANCELLED GIG.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
I was really looking forward to my first gig since late 2017 tonight.
A solo 45 minute set with me singing and playing some of my favourite songs (plus a few punter pleasers) at an arts centre in Glasgow's 'leafy' Castlemilk scheme.

I would have been my first trip there since having 24/7 access to their recording studio and rehearsal space during the 90s and early 00s, when I was skirting around the fringes of the music business world until, health, disability and then addiction stopped that pipedream in its tracks. I've a lot of history with the place and my close friend/ ex bandmate has gone from studio engineer to big boss in the interim years.
It would also be an opportunity to cross paths with the gig's sound guy again, who I've watched develop from young/trainee in the place to engineer with Frightened Rabbit to live sound guy with Chrvches.

A good cause too, a fund raiser to send a young woman to the US for cancer treatment.

Alas, council drink license regs among other complications have postponed the event until later in the summer.

On the plus side, having something to work towards, something meaningful after 3-4 years of being very ill myself (life feels pretty meaningless during these times) has been a wonderful experience in getting guitars and equipment into condition. Rehearsing songs, looking after myself, mental rehearsal has been carried out with all of the enthusiasm (plus) that I had as a 14y/o in my early days of gigging.

My next gig is now mid July at my neighbour's grand opening of his arts centre and I'm sure there will be more off the back of it. Plus there's this currently cancelled gig's rescheduled date to look forward to.

I might as well keep the momentum going.
What's strange is I've learned something very valuable about myself these past few weeks; 15, 25, 35, 45 or 55 my passion for playing live hasn't jaded with age, it feels like it has grown.
I'm grateful for the insight as to what makes me tick, some folks never get to learn that.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Meister
Sorry to hear it was cancelled. Though it sounds like it's already fired up your playing again? And there's the other date to look forward to.

I haven't gigged for about 6 years, and have my first one coming up at the end of June. I moved abroad for a while, for work, and was just too busy to commit to a band. I came back last July and recently my old band got in touch to ask if I could cover this gig in June that their new guitarist can't make.

I was delighted and said yes immediately. Unfortunately, I'm now discovering how rusty I'd got in the meantime! Most of the songs are taking way more time and effort to re-learn than I expected, and fitting it in with work and everything is really tough. I know I will love it when we get there, but rehearsals so far have felt awful. I feel like an inexperienced guy trying to keep up with a practiced band - which, I suppose, I am! - which isn't a feeling I've had to endure for about 30 years!

Lots of work to do. But, like you, it's great to have that drive, and focus, for my playing again.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Ya, that is a bummer. We had to post a cancelled for our first summer gig.
Next one is July and that pub may be close to bankruptcy..fingers crossed.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
There's an arts centre in Castlemilk? 😲
Hard to believe but yes in the very place where the poet Tom Leonard described as "Where the men are men and so are half the women", they have an arts centre and there's no doubt a few lives destined for the scrapheap that have been changed for the better due to it's presence.
Having grown up in a bit of a concrete jungle myself, I've never underestimated the power of art, theatre and music.

It's 28 years old this year and mainly focussed on the youngsters.
https://castlemilkyouthcomplex.com/