Cancelled a Gig for the first time.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stephent2, Apr 9, 2019.

1. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

So my buddy and I were offered a private party gig because of our age. The guy's wife was turning 70 and he wanted musicians around that age. Two acoustic guitars and blues is what we do as a duo. We can do a night of danceable music, not a problem,.. we said OK. The guy never heard us btw.

Then came the text requests, Jimmy Durante, "Young at Heart" and they have a 73 year old belly dancer who does a thing to "Black Magic Woman", would we play the song for her? Oh, and "My Generation" by The Who. Oh, and could we rehearse w/ the belly dancer this week?

Well, certainty I can play those songs if I had to, I've played BMWoman in the very distant past, I guess 'My Generation' is doable on acoustics, might be fun.

it's a $300 gig. $150 a piece, I tote the PA.

Late Saturday night my duo partner's house got hit by lightening. Burnt a corner of the structure, fried the home electronics and they can't stay in the house. Gig's this coming Saturday. He's up to his eyeballs in all dat, stressed, some equipment issues from the fire, etc. And I've been thinking, damn I'm too old to want to be someone's juke box/karaoke machine. We do a thing and it's not that.

So after talking w/ my buddy, an hour ago I emailed the guy and said we couldn't do the gig this Saturday, very sorry, unforeseen circumstances of the house fire and consequences of, we just can't and gave and him a friend's number.

I've not taken gigs but I don't recall cancelling a gig I'd said I would do. Even with the offer of more $$s from another gig.

2. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Understandable.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  3. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I feel ya, but I wonder if you left them in the lurch on such late notice. I might have offered to do the gig solo if they were OK with it. And two special requests of
    fairly easy songs doesn't seem excessive to me-- not asking you to be a karaoke machine at all, IMO.

Another option given the late cancellation might have been to suggest some folks (if you know any) that they might be able to get as subs on short notice.

rad1, nojazzhere and ecoast like this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

:eek:
    nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope nope

5. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

yep

I'll bet they are a bit bummed out now there's no entertainment...

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

They can make a recording of all those songs from itunes or somewhere, and set up a music system to play them. Maybe you could offer to help them out with that and be their dj, for half price.

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. stephent2

We're in a major market, it's Tuesday. Five days notice.

I understand I've let the client down but he's not without resources to find a possibly more suitable replacement. It was kinda weird to be first considered for the gig for our age and work backwards.

Torren61, McGlamRock and String Tree like this.
  8. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

You did what you could.
    Your Buddy's State of Mind is in question.

Too much to deal with.

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

go with your gut. I've been reading your posts for years... you are a wise and thoughtful cat... if it just wasn't for you... cancel... MUCH better than soldiering on and REALLY hating it.

Matt G, stephent2 and Torren61 like this.
  10. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've never ever cancelled a show I've agreed to do. Even when I had a broken foot and had to sit all night. Even once when the alkie bass players wife phoned me to say "oh, he got into some chicken that'd sat out too long" The gig was to be just me, him, and a drummer we'd never rehearsed with.

I called the venue and explained by bassist was "sick" and offered to do the show for free , as a one-man show. I was hoping and praying he'd decline, but I played that night all by my lonesome

My word is my bond

The show must go on

11. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Afflicted

They can get a karaoke dj.

12. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Damn right!

When I was coming up, I learned from some REAL pros and that was one of the first things they taught me.

It doesn't matter if you have to crawl and drag a broken leg down two miles of hot asphalt, you book a gig, you do it.

Teleguy61 and blowtorch like this.
  13. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Hey man. This sounds to me like you are talking some smack!!! :) I just wanna say. I have yet to see a working man's band that I couldnt front better than who they had. And yeah, I'm the best male singer of all the regular karaoke hosts in town and I've sung from Goodyear to Apache Junction.

I'm not the worlds greatest singer by ANY means, but for American Legions, most bars around Phoenix, AZ...

I can sing G1 to D5 in full voice on a piano and sing anything from George Jones to Travis Tritt as well as Freddie and Steve Perry.

Dont talk down us karaoke hosts. There are maybe 3 of us who are faaaaaaar better singers than most frontman and women and I can only think of ONE karaoke host who sings well enough not to hate to sing after I do. In fact she is a better singer by far.

And believe me. I ain't bragging in the slightest. But I bust my ass for 4 hours a day vocalizing. I practice that much because I KNOW I'm not that good. But these bar bands who get paid 500 to a grand a night for drums that are too loud, a guitarist who only knows 4 chords a bassist who is late to every bar but the one slinging glasses....and singers so flat...awww man I'm gonna call ******** here.

Most bars are better off calling up guys like me to set up a great pa system, 20 lasers and can sing 3 and a half octaves..for only 250 a night.

So try not to piss on us karaoke guys. Some of us really are much better singers than most regular band folk.

stephent2 and Torren61 like this.
  14. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

They've still got the belly dancer, right? Maybe she can go all night! ;)

15. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

You say that now, but when you hit 80 you'll be all over that pretty young thing. :lol::lol::lol:

DonM, GibbyTwin and orangeblossom like this.
  16. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

so... you are saying 'ease up on the karaoke fans then?

DonM, Newbcaster and Kingpin like this.
  17. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

Actually what i am saying is that I've noticed its en vogue to crap on karaoke as it takes money out of the pockets of bands.

What they ought to be doing is practicing so that they can legitimately earn their money.

I did a free show at an American legion. Ladies night. I sang from 5 until close. 10pm. 5 hours straight. Free. 10 minutes of break between sets. I got a lousy 50 bux in tips which, for a legion is pretty good. I smiled, said thank you and was the picture of professionalism. Bar didnt share their tips with me or even offer despite the fact they tripled their sales that night because people actually stayed and drank. Did a wedding the next day. 4 hours of singing. 9 hours of singing in 2 days? most frontmen would be dead.

A better post heard about me and snatched me up for 2 years. Fridays and Saturdays for 200, 3 free drinks and about 100 in tips for the weekend.

I run an investment firm and surely dont need the money. But I drove 100 miles round trip for that gig in my prius. Good times. I got paid to have fun and sing my ass off.

Most bands dont work that hard or sing that well. Some of us do.

If i ever get my one man show up and running local bands might be in trouble. I do all my backing vocals and create custom karaoke tracks to sing to. helps to have a recording studio.

Best of both worlds. i get paid to sing, there's no line of people who suck at singing. And its kinda karaoke.. without the downside.

In fairness to torren61 though, there are LOTs of ****ty karaoke hosts who have crap ears and can't tune anyone in and have **** PA gear so I'm just saying we arent ALL bad. Just most of us. ;-p

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  18. scrimmer

scrimmer Tele-Afflicted

At least that's a better excuse than "My drummer's too faced to play tonight, and I never heard back from his usual replacement."

Don't ask...

getbent and Newbcaster like this.
  19. stephent2

Never meant to dis the entertainers, thumbs up for the karaoke folks. Lord knows it's a hard life, we all need some diversion.

Newbcaster and Paul in Colorado like this.
  20. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Afflicted

One monkey don’t stop no show.

getbent and stephent2 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.