Canadian prices on new/ used Blackstars

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by flyswatter, Nov 15, 2013.

1. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

This question is specific to Blackstar amps sold new or used in Canada. I'm thinking of getting a 40 watt combo or possibly one of the mid-wattage (20 to 60) heads. I'm in no hurry so prepared to wait and seek out deals or maybe one to come up used on Kijiji or CL.

Local stores around me sometimes have one or two models in stock but it's hard to get a good overall sense of prices/ comparisons without resorting to US/ UK sites (where the prices rarely match those in Canada).

If you own a Blackstar purchased in Canada -- anything over 20 watts -- what did you pay for it new or used?

Thanks.

2. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Contact Mojo Music in Oakville Ontario. They carry Blackstar amps and speaking to them will get you an idea of what they go for new. I would stop in for you if they were local to me but they are located half an hour away so it isn't convenient for me to get there.

3. flyswatter

Okay, thanks. I'll check that out. I also discovered a pretty good selection the Axe Music site out of Edmonton. I've ordered other stuff from them and they were a reliable dealer.

Still curious about anyone's score on the second hand market.

4. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I forgot all about Axe Music. You might want to check Tom Lee Music as well.

I just did a search on Toronto's Kijiji and came up with the list linked below (it also includes amps that have nothing to do with Blackstar but if people tag their ads with that name they will show up in the search):

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-Blacksta...tIdZ610QQKeywordZBlackstarQQisSearchFormZtrue

5. flyswatter

Thanks again. Those HT-1Rs are particularly popular around Montreal as well. The gig-sized ones are all too rare. I guess it'll take some time before many of them turn up on the used market -- and anyway they are known for reliability so there's gonna be fewer being ditched than, say, recent non-UK Marshall combos.

6. Rocketman_ab

Rocketman_ab Tele-Meister

Too bad your not on the left coast..there's a Blackstar Artisan 15 on CL in my area for 780$.... 2000$ to buy that amp on Musician's Friend right now.

7. flyswatter

Seems to be a huge range in prices for the Blackstars! $700 bones would buy a brand new HT40 tube combo on Axe.

Is it a circuit board versus handwired thing, as with Marshall?

8. Prairie Dawg

Prairie Dawg Tele-Meister

The biggest problem I see with Blackstar is that they're unrepairable at the local level due to no provision of service information, limited repair stations, and too much in the way of surface mount devices. The cabinets are made of MDF. So if you're out of warranty most times you're out of luck. I don't even know where you'd go for product support in Canada.

9. flyswatter

Good point.

10. Rocketman_ab

Yeah, the Artisan is hand-wired, Class A, all that stuff. Funny... ''Hand-wired", and "Class A"...two of the latest buzz words that make amp shoppers spend more money ;)

11. flyswatter

It's true. Can't argue against hand-wired as I have a SF Super Reverb that sweet beyond belief and extremely durable. But if I had +$1200 to spend on a handwired amp I'd be buying an original Blackface Deluxe or equally proven and worthy.

A 40watt portable workhorse for around 700 bones is what I'm after right now.

12. Rocketman_ab

Wow...it almost sounds like you're describing the Traynor YC40 right now - my other amp. Except you could get it for about half that $, of course.

I've actually had quite a fascination with Blackstar myself...I was seriously considering the HT-40 too. But ended up going with a Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 instead.

13. flyswatter

I've considered a YC40. I tried the YC20 before getting my Blues Junior and it was the close second choice. Only got the Junior because I was able to make a cash-free trade with a friend.

The YC40s are definitely more plentiful on the used market.

14. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

I believe the YCV40 uses different tubes than those found in the YCV20.

15. flyswatter

I just meant in terms of general trust of the modern Traynors based on the one I tried. There's bound to be some difference going from 20 to 40. I owned an old 70s Bass Master for a few years and it was a solid amp -- just a pain to lug around.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.