1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Canadian price

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by HarpJim, Apr 28, 2008.

1. HarpJim

HarpJim Tele-Holic

HI! I live in Canada and I'm about to but me my first ever telecaster. I'm really interested in a 52 reissue and wondering if you guys know what kind of price would be acceptable to pay for. Do some of you know whats the best bargain price I could get here in Canada? I know I could call local dealers, but they won't give me the best price as if I were there with the seller doing some guitar/bargain talk.

Big thanks ;-)

2. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Welcome HarpJim :) !

I know nothing about Canadian prices, but I do know something about '52 RI's ;) .

I'd say you're starting right on the top ... :cool:

3. newtwanger

newtwanger Blackguardian. Ad Free + Supporter

First off, WELCOME! :D

I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but here in Montreal I can get any Fender for equal or less than I pay in the USA.
    Calling dealers to ask prices over the phone is a waste, as you said, the only way to get "best price" is to go to the store (what's wrong with that?). I know my shop has an active "the client in front of you is a CUSTOMER, the client on the phone is only, possibly, maybe a customer, so always keep the client in store happy." I like that.
    That being said you can expect a sticker price of 1700~ish and to get it for 1500~ or even 1400~ if you are a very good client. I know someone who bought one at Christmas for $1550 but it was their first purchase at the store.
    I know sales "style" in Quebec is quite different and in many places people would be very offended not getting the same price as others but it does build a certain loyalty and parnership knowing I can show my shop a page from Musicians Friend's website and I'll get the product for the same price.

Good luck in your purchase but be aware that ordering one of the 52ri into your shop, you'd better have a "if it's a dud I don't want it" agreement with the owner.

4. HarpJim

HarpJim Tele-Holic

Thank you both! And newtwanger, what's the name of the shop you are talking about? I bought my Mayer Strat at Steve's Music last year and was quite amazed with the deal I got (even if I found the dealer to be a bit stressing). And btw, is there a mathematical formula I can rely on when it comes to bargain? Like "list price" / 2 + 20% ?

Thanks

And oh, is there a lot of duds in the 52' production?

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't believe that for a second. Of course there may be differences, but there are definitely more duds in the cheaper production Teles than in the American Vintage series. I'm a firm believer in the Telecaster production being the most even of almost any guitar model there is, simply because of its simplicity of construction and because I haven't played a bad one yet.

Most Teles are good guitars, some are great (those owned by the folks on the forum ;) ) and a few are duds :oops: ...

6. BLACKCAT69

BLACKCAT69 Friend of Leo's

Hello and welcome to the forum. As a Canadian I recommend that you buy on Ebay or from a retailer in the USA and take advantage of the CAD at par with the USD situation. A Canadian retailer will charge $1200.00 cad and up for a new 52 RI. However with on Ebay you can find deals for lightly played or new within the $700 USD range. Good luck in your quest.

7. mildwild

mildwild Tele-Afflicted

HarpJim

Where in Canada are you ?

8. HarpJim

HarpJim Tele-Holic

mildwild, I'm in Trois-Rivieres, Québec.

And blackcat69, if I buy from a US dealer, I guess I'll have to pay for the shipping + sales taxs. Would it still be a good deal?

9. mgallagh

mgallagh TDPRI Member

I just bought a 52 RI from Long & Mcquade for the same price as Musicians Friend. As I was doing a trade in, it was list and the bargaining was being done on the trade.

10. lennyb

lennyb Tele-Meister

and you lose any warranty you have....Fender frowns on their dealers of NEW fender product selling across the borders ...i also am in Canada and i can beat the U.S price everytime....there are alot of great Canadian retailers that Care ...i happen to be one of them i just dont care for people sending Canadian buyers state side when we can give them the same product cheaper and honor your warranty ,most companies will void a warranty if it crosses the border...just so you know bro make sure you check on Warranty its important...BUT used offers none so i wouldnt worry about buying used...but new you want a warranty

11. mildwild

mildwild Tele-Afflicted

HarpJim

Good advice from lennyb and newtwanger.
    Good to see another Canadian.

Can't believe I am rooting for the Hab's though.

12. newtwanger

I have a "buy in Canada if I can" policy and as Lenny and my dealer CAN match USA pricing on NEW product, why would I shop anywhere else?
    Heck buy from Lenny and you save the PST (since it ships from out of province).

If I buy something used, it's because it's vintage. I prefer to buy my new guitars new rather than used off eBay (but that's MY preference).

My dealer is Musique Claude DeBussy in St Hubert, Que. But Steve's can do the same deals and often has quicker order/delivery.

Or build your own more accurate to the original for (a bit) less :p

13. Bob Mc

Bob Mc Friend of Leo's

Welcome,
    Not much to add accept my wife's cousin is Michael Komisarek, go HABs!

14. HarpJim

HarpJim Tele-Holic

Finding a good music shop seems quite a quest! In my city (120 000 hab.), we have 2 shops, only one sells fenders and got only 4 or 5 teles. What a shame. I'll have to take a ride somewhere else. But what's bugging me is that I'm afraid of not finding the tele I'm looking for, since they seems to be quite rare here. That's also why I was considering buying online for foreign dealers.

15. thaus

thaus Tele-Holic

Buy used..........if you want to save $$, it is the only way to go. Try Kijij.ca and you might just find a good deal. You may have to take the risk of buying without trying but sometimes it is worth it. At Christmas, I got a Custom Shop Nocaster Relic for $1000 plus shipping from a guy in Vancouver. Took a chance and it was what was advertised and I now own one of Fender's best guitars!!

16. 6x47

6x47 Tele-Holic

If possible, try before you buy. The neck on a new one may just give you fits. If I buy another, it will be a used one.

17. Bémolle

Bémolle TDPRI Member

Another option for cross border shopping is Ezzy's music shop in Van Buren, Maine. Half the town is St-leonard, NB and the other half is Van Buren.

They are a duty free shop and prices were as I remember pretty competitive.

18. HarpJim

HarpJim Tele-Holic

Big thanks everyone for your help!

thaus, for kijiji.com, is there a way to do a search in the whole Canada, not only one city at time?

Thanks again

19. thaus

thaus Tele-Holic

20. newtwanger

For the last 18 months I'd say Steve's in Mtl has had a pretty regular flow of 52s in stock, same goes for Archambeault Musique on St Catharines street (they often have relics and nocasters too.)
    One day a month Archambeault gives 10% off to seniors, make your deal then get a senior to buy it!:D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.