Canadian ingenuity

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I saw this on the local Maine news as I was leaving for work and thought it was in Maine. Google got me a fox news report showing Newfoundland.
I thought it was interesting and seemed like something a Mainer might do.

Lone_Poor_Boy

Tele-Holic

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
"The couple said that it would probably have been cheaper to build a new house, but it was great to be part of re-creating a bit of history, and it was a memory they would always treasure."

Ingenuity. I have another word, or two, for it.

Cheaper to build new?
Oh I didn’t hear that part on the TV news!
Makes it more bizarre than ingenious, and here I wanted to mend fences with Canadian friends I might have inadvertently offended in the American made thread!

When I visited Quebec I heard the locals telling off color jokes about Newfoundland but I swear I posted with good intentions!

Really though, ticks lotsa boxes like extreme sport, house boats, homes on the beach, built in jacuzzi, water polo, swimsuit issues/ wardrobe malfunction.

BigDaddyLH

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I was hoping for ...

FEfDZRXqngaEhaTZkgCJHAx0-GQvP_PtUOt-dFyqSaitXXRU3XbRaL8JWTms3_I1nG4ZU7hLkxlHDkyAvLotJopCRQYWbJ_Dt7dD4n2snjVt8M22FpDdZQ6IikKkQiLd9OV5-g

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
It was once a fairly common occurrence here, especially when the government started to shut down communities and move them to new locations. Folks were dirt poor, couldn’t afford a new house, liked the house they had, the water was right there so…..

Friends of ours have a summer home in a place called Trinity that’s at least a century old and was floated there from elsewhere. Lovely old house.

Sounds like that young couple ran into a little trouble, but, then, it is a lost art. Kudos to them!

Dan German

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
It was once a fairly common occurrence here, especially when the government started to shut down communities and move them to new locations. Folks were dirt poor, couldn’t afford a new house, liked the house they had, the water was right there so…..

Friends of ours have a summer home in a place called Trinity that’s at least a century old and was floated there from elsewhere. Lovely old house.

Sounds like that young couple ran into a little trouble, but, then, it is a lost art. Kudos to them!
I was going to point that out. I saw the story on the news, and said to myself “I’m pretty sure that’s a semi-normal Newfoundland thing.”

AlbertaGriff

Friend of Leo's
Saw that story last week and thought it was odd that the house was half submerged. But it sounds like they plan for it to take on some water by drilling holes in the floor and gutting the house down to the studs.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member

darkwaters

Friend of Leo's
Nowadays you will find the remains of many many abandoned communities all around the coast with collapsed houses, decaying churches and overgrown graveyards.

It all looks very evocative and scenic now and tourists love it, but they represent a lot of human dislocation and misery for the people that were forced to abandon their settlements and make their way in a new place.

A good friend of mine is from one of these abandoned communities and her family make a point of returning to it every year to reminisce.