Canada to USA shipping duty or gotchas

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by popthree, Sep 10, 2019.

1. popthree

popthree Poster Extraordinaire

I'm looking at buying an American made product from a Canadian retailer and having it shipped to Oklahoma. Should I expect be charged a duty for the pseudo import?

2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Probably no duty but Canuck taxes. And if you ship FedUps ground, expect exorbitant egregious processing fees. USPS and Canada post ground saves you those fees, but your stuff may sit in customs for a while. Sometimes I would still get hit with a customs fee but it was either $5 or 8. Not worth worrying about.

This is just my experience ordering guitar bits from the US. I’m assuming similar going the other way.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers,
    Geoff

3. Geoff738

Oh, shipping air the processing/brokerage fees were built in. Sometimes this made them cheaper than shipping ground when using FedUps. Which is kinda nuts.

Cheers,
    Geoff

4. popthree

Shipper/seller says free shipping. I was just worried that my item may get hung up at the border. Any cause for concern?

5. Geoff738

Using usps and Canada post stuff has sat at the border for a couple weeks. If the shipper is using ups or fedex ground it will show up at your door and they will demand an absurd amount for their brokerage fees. Free shipping suddenly becomes not such a good idea. I will never, and I mean never, buy something from across the border if the shipper insists on using Fedex or Ups. Ground. The fees are on their websites, although well buried. And as I said, egregious. Ridiculous. Usurious. Insane. Never.

Cheers,
    Geoff

6. popthree

Good to know. Thank you

7. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

8. popthree

Looks like it depends on which ups service they use

Attached Files:

9. Beaubien66

Beaubien66 TDPRI Member

If it shipped outside Canada, probably have to pay 5% TPS. If you use Canada Post then USPS on the other side of the frontier... you should be good for not having to pay custom fees. Please don't use Fedex or UPS.

10. Geoff738

Yeah, the ground stuff gets the brokerage fees and the air stuff has those already factored into the shipping fee. This is a generalization that at one point at least was reasonably accurate. You are aware of the issue now, so see what your shipper is proposing to use and take it from there. I don’t know about Dhl, but I’m assuming they’re similar to the other private shippers.

Cheers,
    Geoff

popthree likes this.
  11. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I haven't purchased an instrument, but I have purchased quite a few camping items from Canada and they arrived via FedEx just as if I bought it in the states. I had the items in about 4 days with no extra shipping costs.

12. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

Buckle up for the stupid trade war. I read the other day that prices might not change much, but the amounts of product in your bottles and boxes will.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.