1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

can you use interior latex house paint for a guitar?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by dijos, Jan 22, 2012.

1. PapaBeef

PapaBeef Friend of Leo's

Inspired after seeing Bernie Parent play in the Winter Classic Alumni Game, I did a mahogany Telehawk body with an ebony fretboard & matching headstock. Painted the body & headstock with Painter's Touch (by Rustoleum)) Real Orange rattle can & topped it with several coats of Deft.
    It looks a little uneven up close. But not bad from a couple of feet away.
    I actually tried Krylon Gloss Pumpkin Orange first. But it was absolute crap. Came out like it was all mineral spirits & no pigment or something. So I washed it all off with thinner & started from scratch.
    I tinted the neck with 2 coats of Colonial Maple Minwax oil stain & finished with boiled linseed oil.
    I sure do hope it holds up well because it's the best player of all the guitars I've done so far.

2. Arbiter

Arbiter Banned

Huh. I've been finishing since 1991 - part of that period for my livelihood - and I honestly never thought of doing this. Now I'm going to have to try it. So long as you have a decent topcoat I don't really see a problem.

Artwerk Orange likes this.
  3. PaddyWagon

PaddyWagon Tele-Meister

Best. Quote. Ever. Don't be surprised if I steal that :D

4. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

I'd really only use interior paint to finish your pickup routes, control cavity etc...isn't that why it's called "interior paint?" :D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.