1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can you use a baseball glove for softball?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by sean79, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

Okay, probably a dumb question.

My 13 y.o. daughter needs a new softball glove. She was using her mom's old one. It wasn't a great glove, and now it's too small.

We don't have a big sports store in this town; the only place we can really purchase a glove is W-Mart. Their selection of softball gloves is less than great. They have little kids' gloves, and they have gloves that would fit me. Nothing that seems to fit my daughter (maybe they're just sold out of some?).

They do have a lot of baseball gloves. Some of these gloves have sizes marked at 11.5 to 11.75 inches - I think that's pretty much the size of softball glove she was looking for. But... are the gloves that much different (softball v. baseball)? Are there dimensions, other than the 11.5 to 11.75, she would have to worry about? Are the pockets in the softball gloves wider or something?

2. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    The position she plays is a factor to consider when purchasing a glove. When I played 2nd or short I always preferred a smaller glove. When I was in the outfield nothing was too big.

Maybe the coach has some input on what he would like her to have?

As far as baseball vs softball glove, I was never aware of a difference.

3. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I would take daughter to store, have her try on some gloves, and get a softball while you're at it, and see if it fits the pocket..... Toss her a few.... When we were kids, I and my friends used to soap up the new gloves with saddle soap and warm water to loosen up the stiffness of the new leather. Then, while the glove is still wet, we would put a ball dead center in the pocket and use some twine to tie the glove closed for a day or so. Then the pocket would be formed to fit the ball. When not in use, we stored the glove away with the ball in the pocket and tied if necessary.. It will hold it's pocket before long, maybe a week or so. Not hard to tell.

4. sean79

Thanks, guys. We're off to the next town (they have a sporting goods store) to check out softball gloves. The girl on the phone said they don't have a big selection, but we're going to check them out. They close in 55 minutes.

BTW: third base

5. Jack S

Jack S Friend of Leo's

The size of the glove is more important for fitting her hand than the ball, especially if she is young. She will learn to catch and field better with it if it is not oversized. You should see what they used to use for baseball in the twenties and thirties compared to today. Sometimes people are spoiled by tools they use, but the skills to field a ball don't require anything more than a good fitting glove.

6. sean79

Got it. We picked up a nice 12 inch softball glove. She's pretty happy with it.

I appreciate everyone's advice.

7. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted

Nothing better in spring time than going to your daughters softball game. Mitts these days are HUGE compared to when we were kids. Enjoy.

8. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I think you mean 'softball' vs 'hardball'. They are both baseball games.

9. scantron81

scantron81 Tele-Afflicted

What a terrific experience shopping for a ball glove with your kiddo! There's something magical about trying out new gloves and the breaking in process. I bought my first glove when I was 11 and I remember it fondly. I bought a new glove last year when I started playing rec. softball and my wife got a real kick out of me walking around tossing a ball into it, sitting on top of it and getting it ready for playing ball. The bond between glove and player is similar to the bond between a guitar and player too ;)

10. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

Don't forget cabbage ball. :D

11. cornfed

cornfed Tele-Meister

At 13 she deserves something decent, but, I bought my girl a very nice glove once and it was way to much for her. It was a nice thick strong glove that woulda lasted many years. They need a glove that is ready "NOW" . they really don't care what you think is best, and they could really care less what brand it is
    I suggest a $30-$40 glove that is allready soft, and yes the ones at wallmart are junk.
    11 inch softball glove is fine they don't want some big clunky hunk of leather that is heavy,, good luck ;o)

12. Stubee

Stubee Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Just want to say this brought back many fond memories of my baseball obsession in the late '50s/early '60s. We did just the same.

13. TeleTim911

TeleTim911 Friend of Leo's

Go to Google, and search Softball Gloves. They are out there.

I coached softball for five years, you need the right glove since a softball is twice the size of a baseball. The pocket needs to be a little larger.

Try to find one with an adjustable wrist strap, that way you can make it tight on her hand.

Good luck!

14. Wyzsard

Wyzsard Friend of Leo's

Good deal. If she is confident she has a good one, she will do well.

15. Thundersleet

Thundersleet Tele-Afflicted

I was curious so I looked that up.

CabbageBall.org

They don't use gloves.

Cabbage Ball Package all for $11.95

• Cabbage Ball •
    • Instructional DVD •
    • Cabbage ball rules handbook •

16. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Isn't that more of a Canadian distinction?

Can an American clarify this? Do you guys use the term "hardball" when talking about baseball?

17. Buckocaster51

Buckocaster51 Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    I have always referred to them as "softball" and "baseball."

Softball comes in several varieties...16" (Chicago style), 12" hard softball, and 12" soft softball (aka mush ball)

Of course these terms are from the same country that uses our hands when we play "football".

Go figure.

18. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

For softball, we also have slowpitch - a game for those who can't hit a ball.

19. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

I'm from Wash., DC and we, as kids, always referred to the game being hardball or soft ball. We only played hard ball back then. It wasn't until I was on a co-ed team that I played soft ball. I was 32 yrs old.

20. DuncanAngus

DuncanAngus Tele-Afflicted

I miss breaking in a new glove!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.