Can You Tell The Difference Between a Tele and a Strat

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MikeyisB999, Sep 19, 2019.

1. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

He's been using them since long before the 80s. He used them quite a bit in the mid to late sixties.

Attached Files:

2. rocks2oldies

rocks2oldies TDPRI Member

Was guitar 1 the tele and guitar 2 the strat?

3. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Meister

Even if there is crossover and in some cases you can make one sound like the other, I've never been able to get used to the ergonomics of a Strat. Nothing against them, just prefer the feel of Telecasters.

KT89 likes this.
  4. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

My G&L S-500 Tribute has a pull knob on treble that lets you get N+B and N+M+B combos. They sound distinct from the regular Strat type sounds although sitting in the other room I can't really describe them subjectively. It's a cool arrangement.

5. jbensaab

jbensaab NEW MEMBER!

Oh well, I got it wrong. My tele is an hss configuration so mine sounds totally different.

6. MikeyisB999

MikeyisB999 Tele-Meister

hahaha Love it!! :D

7. dbwindhorst

dbwindhorst TDPRI Member

You know how it is: you go through phases (no pun). I find myself hardly ever wanting the quack anymore, and I removed the cover from my Tele neck pickup, so the Strat just doesn't get much attention these days. On the other hand, if I could only have one guitar sound, it would be a tossup between a Tele with both pickups engaged, and a 6120 likewise on both pups.

dw

8. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

I no longer own a Strat. The AO one I bought a few months back I returned. I don't feel it with them anymore, not for me, I suppose.

9. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

If it was a Strat it may have been Eddie Shaver. Have a link to the video?

10. stanger

stanger Tele-Meister

An interesting video, and considering how many Strats are around with Lace sensors in them, a pretty fair comparison. I thought the sound samples went a little long, but that's a minor quibble.

I've owned and played both for a long time, and to me, either guitar will work just fine as a replacement for the other.
    Sure, they sound different, but the biggest difference is the 3rd pickup in the Strat. It adds a lot of fast flip-the-switch versatility the Tele doesn't have. But the Tele has as much versatility in the ways it's pickups can blend their tonalities. That blend is slower to get than a Strat, but it can happen.

I'm kind of a clean-tone fanatic, so distortion doesn't matter much to me. All single-wound pickups sound pretty much alike when the fuzz takes over to my ear, and that's when the amp's tonality makes a big difference to me.

One fellow made an interesting comment that I think is relevant; he said a Tele is meant to be played hard. I think that that's true, given the strings that were available at the time Leo invented it. All the guitar strings made in 1948 were heavy as hell, and if they were the only ones Leo had to work with, the pickup design would be different than a Strat's.

By 1954, string manufacturers were beginning to offer guitar strings in lighter gauges due to player demand for them. Leo wasn't a player, but he knew what players wanted. He could have designed the Strat pickups to mate with lighter-gauge strings.

Another interesting thing that bears mention is Californians went for a brighter, cleaner, sound than the other guitar players of the time. Back then, Fender made guitars Californians preferred, and none of the other companies made guitars so specifically directed to one market of players.

What other guitar brand jangles like a Fender? Rickenbacker. The other guitars that were made in California.
    regards,
    stanger

MikeyisB999 and E5RSY like this.
  11. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

12. E5RSY

E5RSY Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like Pete...on his Tele. I bet the video's director wanted the visual of a Strat for some reason.

The Blasters originally did that tune. Good stuff.

13. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

14. homerkp

homerkp TDPRI Member

I think the differences are night and day. Sure they're more subtle to the untrained ear. I've always loved the Strat neck pickup but I've become so comfortable with my Tele that I've decided to get a Twisted Tele neck pickup to reconcile the two. I don't know how close it'll be to an actual Strat, and I won't have the quack, but I'm willing to give it a try before forking out 1000+ Euros for Strat some time in the future.

15. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

most the time - NO
    especially when the Strat has seven way switching, or is not in traditional modern five way positions 2 or 4

16. Molemi

Molemi TDPRI Member

I guessed right after listening to the examples. But the difference was rather small to me. The clean sound on the telly bridge pickup made me decide.

MikeyisB999 likes this.
  17. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

These kind of comparisons are so ridiculous when you have the two guitars in hand.

I have a 1984 USA Strat on loan from a friend right now. (Collector type who has so many guitars he is always lending stuff out. The Strat I'm borrowing has standard single coils & so does my Tele. The Strat has the Tremolo decked so it feels like a hard tail so it should feel a little more like a Tele (which it does). I went through the Strat last night after getting permission and set the pickups to Fender's recommended spec as they were pretty screwy.

The two guitars are so different it's ridiculous to me after almost 3 years of playing nothing but a Tele & acoustic on a daily basis. I am instantly at home on the Strat neck pickup but everything else is so foreign and odd sounding. I've been learning a bunch of funk the last 3-4 months (Meters mostly) and I'd have thought some of the Strat in between sounds would immediately be super awesome but I don't actually like them as much as the neck + bridge together on a Tele.

I get that there are many famous examples of players using a Strat and you'd think they were on a Tele, the most famous example to me is Glen Campbell playing some Solos on a Strat and I would have sworn it was a Tele. The Strat bridge has plenty of Twang but it's not the same as a Tele at all. When you hear players making a Strat sound like a Tele I kind of think there's a bunch of EQ in play.

18. Cysquatch

Cysquatch Tele-Meister

I was listening to Joe as I was typing that up actually! I also agree on the open string thing. It's a very balanced sound that's less "ehhhh, that might not be in tune or something?" sounding than a lot of guitars seem to have.

19. MikeyisB999

MikeyisB999 Tele-Meister

For sure, once that bridge kicks in. You can miss that Tele sound! :)

20. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Holic

yeah one is a tele and the other is a strat

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.