Can You Tell The Difference Between a Tele and a Strat

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MikeyisB999, Sep 19, 2019.

1. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Fritz Bros Super Deluxe with Barden Strat neck and middle pickups and Barden Gatton T bridge pickup.

2. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

My Strat and Tele sound pretty different. I attribute that mostly to the pickups because my Strat is wired to give me the neck and bridge combo. The Telecaster bridge pickup has a pretty recognizable sound that I've never heard a Strat duplicate. The Strat middle pickup is also unique. I have N4 pickups in my Tele and VN pickups in my Strat. The Strat is a little darker, almost moody. I like it for that. I manage my Telecaster tone mostly from my amp. I can roll down bass and mids and get a pretty vintage sound or bring them up for a jazzy fullness. Listening to recordings, except for the Telecaster bridge and the Strat middle, I hear the differences between pickups more than any difference between guitars. I couldn't call it from what I heard in the original post.

MikeyisB999, jsnwhite619 and bcorig like this.
  3. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

I think they sound different . . there's something odd about Strat sound, lol.

mimmo and Fretting out like this.
  4. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

They are both beautiful at closing time.

MikeyisB999 and teletimetx like this.
  5. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I picked the right one from the first clip. Never owned a Strat, but I've had the same Tele for 15 years. I could tell which one sounded like which.

MikeyisB999 and bcorig like this.
  6. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Choice!

Here's mine - IMG_20000201_090844.jpg

Dig your vids Mikey & your positivity!

MikeyisB999 and drf64 like this.
  7. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I love you 2 Headed Goat ! You have a G&L for every occasion

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  8. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

I disagree. I listened to the video and I was instantly able to tell the difference between the Strat and Tele neck pickups and the bridge pickups. The Strat neck pickup and the Tele bridge pickup, IMHO, are easily identifiable from one another when compared. It would be way different if he only played ONE clip and asked if it was a Tele or a Strat without any other context, but compared AB with eachother, I was easily able to tell the difference.

9. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Meister

There are some tonal similarities, but teles have more of a punch to my ears. Strats have a weaker bridge sound and is impacted by the springs in the tremolo if you have that model of strat. The neck pickup on a strat sounds more open than a Telecaster in my opinion. Good players can make guitars do all kinds of sounds so the model isn't as important.

MikeyisB999 likes this.
  10. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Lace Sensors v. a Tele single coil are not a very close comparison.

Regardless, I have both.

If you pick both in the same location relative to the bridge pickup, it would be difficult if not impossible to tell. Due to the nature of this video, we can't see where he is picking, of course.

gtech likes this.
  11. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Holic

We can agree to disagree then. Those Lace Sensors were voiced close enough to Strat pickups that I definitely could tell it was a Strat and not a Tele. The first clip was the Strat neck pickup clean and even without listening to the other clips, as soon as I heard it I thought, "well, that's a strat".

But at the same time I KNEW that there was going to be a Tele and a Strat. That knowledge makes me listen more intently to try to determine which was which. If the only context I had was the ONE sound clip and then the info that it was "some kind of guitar", without being given any options of guitar to choose from, I may not have been AS confident that it was a Strat. I just know what a Strat neck pickup sounds like, that's why I bought a neck pickup for my Tele that is voiced like a Strat neck pickup, I just like that particular sound.

I don't have the greatest ear. If my guitar is out of tune, I can tell it is out of tune, but if I strummed a chord, I wouldn't be able to tell you which of the strings was out of tune without a tuner. I can't tell any difference in tone between a maple fingerboard and a rosewood fingerboard. But I CAN tell the difference between Strat and Tele pickups.

12. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

I didn't watch the video and don't need to. I can tell the difference tone-wise.[/QUOTE]

13. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

He's been playing strats since the late 80s. Fender just released his own signature strat (ironically, Pete's strats are just Eric Clapton signature strats that he then adds a piezo and a mixing knob to.)

I should add, I don't immediately think "strat" when I think about Pete Townshend either.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Fretting out and Marquee Moon like this.
  14. 2 Headed Goat

My motto (which applies to tele's as well as MM's) is - don't leave home without one. :)

15. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Afflicted

They are both single coil solid body guitars, so no surprise that similar tones can be produced.

The big difference to me is the feel. I never feel comfortable with a strat, but a Tele feels right. I can always dial in a good tone with a Tele and like they way it reacts to my fingers and amp.

All that said I know plenty of players that sound great on a strat, and are not comfortable with a Tele.

16. Fretting out

I think I got you mixed up with the g&l guy I still think your music man is awesome though and that case is super cool

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  17. Fretting out

That’s still awesome I knew fenders custom shop would make the Townsend model here and there and always wondered if they’d make a production run

Oh poo I spoke before watching the video they are custom shop

18. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Usually.

But not always.

19. 2 Headed Goat

No worries bro... tho IMG_20001226_111834.jpg I think the g&l guy you're thinking of is perhaps me...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    Fretting out likes this.
  20. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

One reason they sound different is because they have nothing in common ! ! ...except scale length !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.