Can You Tell The Difference Between a Tele and a Strat

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MikeyisB999, Sep 19, 2019.

1. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Holic

I guessed right, so don't assume you would be fooled, you should give it a try (and don't read the following words).

From the first notes I thought that sounds like a strat... The second one sounds like a strat too, but the giveway was that the neck is more muffled and bridge is louder and punchier. Honestly I couldn't hear anything else that would be relevant. Those differences are tiny and could certainly be "faked" or twisted by settings, mods or playing.

Nice video!

MikeyisB999 likes this.
  2. Marquee Moon

Marquee Moon Tele-Meister

tele's just have that tone, where it sounds really good if you bash it. Keith, Jimm Page etc. That low E is really distinct imo. Tele's are meant to be played hard.

3. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

I couldn't tell from the neck but I guessed from the bridge (clean) tone. It was very close though and I wouldn't have been surprised if I got it wrong. Having said that, the strat didn't really sound like what I think of as typical strat tones. Interesting video in any case.

Greggorios likes this.
  4. Jackroadkill

Jackroadkill Tele-Meister

Can I yell the difference between Strats and Teles? Hell yes - Teles are cool and Strats aren't as cool.

Greggorios likes this.
  5. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Anyone who can't tell the sonic difference between the two needs a less challenging hobby, like stamp collecting.

Mosstone, jsnwhite619 and Greggorios like this.
  6. MikeyisB999

MikeyisB999 Tele-Meister

Couldn't agree more! :)

Cheers buddy, really appreciate it.

The amp was set exactly the same for both guitars. Certainly not trying to fool anyone, it's all for a bit of fun. :)

No clues, but the prize... Hugs all around!! :D

Great to see many of you enjoy the videos are great hearing all of your thoughts.

7. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Hi Mike, lovely video and yes I could guess but they were really close. The only thing I’ll add is that, as others have said, you could find “pairs” that sound more different. A “vintage-style” strat with low-output pickups vs a traditional, 3-barrel-bridge, beefy-sounding blackguard do sound more different from experience. Also, when I A/B’d my 60s Baja with my American Standard tele, there really was a difference and the AS tended to be a bit more “stratty” than the other.

Anyhoo: between THIS strat and THIS tele (nice ones BTW!) it was really very close.

2 Headed Goat and MikeyisB999 like this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's

At least one of each! :D

MikeyisB999 likes this.
  9. Gaz_

Gaz_ TDPRI Member

I played it properly, only needed the first neck pickup section, you can't miss a muddy tele neck. It's funny though, that I can only really tell the difference by what I think is worse. Like is said above, the thin strat bridge would have given it away as well.

MikeyisB999 likes this.
  10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

"you need one of each" is a brilliant marketing strategy if nothing else!
    I guessed right, but not with any confidence. All I really had to go on was the neck pickup on the strat seemed a little brighter.
    I think with a real glassy set of strat pickups instead of the Laces, and a big blackguard type tele bridge pickup, the differences would be more obvious. Also, of course, the middle positions and in-between sounds real different and those are reasons to choose one over the other.
    Well done video!

2 Headed Goat and Greggorios like this.
  11. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

This is my solution:

upload_2019-9-20_7-9-26.jpeg

12. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Holic

I’d describe my Strat’s tone (in 1/3/5) as kinda plastic, compared to the metallic sharpness of the Tele. My Tele has a PAF style in the bridge, so that changes things up a bit. It has a fair bit more output than the bridge pickup, but it’s not unwieldy. All three positions sound great.

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes, I was able to tell. They sounded close at times, but it wasn’t that hard imo.

MikeyisB999 likes this.
  14. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I didn’t watch the video. If you eliminate the 2 and 4. And the middle pickup on the Strat/position on a Tele. No way anyone could tell beyond blind luck.

If as a player someone can’t make them sound indistinguishable in the overlapping positions, they may need a new hobby.

I have a Strat Plus that I had wired with a 3 way switch and a middle blend. With the middle blended out there is no way someone could tell blind, if I’m careful what I play.

@jvin248 is onto something. I do have to focus on technique a bit to “harmonize” the sound. But if I focus on picking the Strat as close to the bridge as a Tele? Forget about it.

Edit - this is a fun and cool video. I’m not criticizing it at all. But scientists would devise a test to eliminate randomness. So they would give 10-50 clips. And they would add some clips of both Strat. And some of both Tele. Tests run like that always show that the differences we perceive tend to come from our eyes and expectations. And disappear when we go in “blind” and filter out randomness. Be it wine or speakers or grades of beef or guitar tones.

Peltogyne likes this.
  15. MikeyisB999

MikeyisB999 Tele-Meister

16. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

At the same amp settings, yes.

Equalized? Probably not.

matmosphere and Bruxist like this.
  17. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

tell that to Dick Dale and Pete Townshend, those fairy light strummers..

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

What makes you think Keith Richards and Jimmy Page bash it? I think both, and especially Page, have a light touch.

Peltogyne likes this.
  19. Marquee Moon

That is just how it sounds to me on alot of Keiths stuff and how it looks to me here. It's not like they can't play light, but it just sounds really good to my ears when they play heavy on a tele. That's what I meant when I said bash it, perhaps that was the wrong choice of words, but I meant it with love.

for some reason the videos on here won't let me set to the right time.

1. 1:56
    2. around 27:00
    3: shortly after 1:10

20. Marquee Moon

I don't really associate Pete with strats, but I'll take your word for it. I don't think strats sound bad when hit hard, just different. I think most people would agree with me that the low e on the tele is quite distinct.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.