Can You Tell The Difference Between a Tele and a Strat

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by MikeyisB999, Sep 19, 2019.

1. MikeyisB999

MikeyisB999 Tele-Meister

Can you tell the difference between a Tele and a Strat? Check out this video. This could be interesting! :)

Attached Files:

2. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

I didn't watch the video and don't need to. I admit I cannot tell the difference tone-wise.

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Usually the strat sounds "weaker" .
    I also have not heard the video :)

mmannaxx likes this.
  4. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

They're all the same with the lights off.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rand z, rainfield, Peltogyne and 16 others like this.
  5. KT89

KT89 TDPRI Member

Pretty easy to tell. As soon as the overdrive hits the tele neck (super muddy) and strat bridge (thin as all hell) pickups really fall apart. Really reinforces how fantastic the strat neck and tele bridge pickups are. One might get close to the other, but really you need one of each ;)

6. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

The "quack" 2 and 4 positions of a Strat are very distinctive. I hear them on albums all of the time.

The punch of a Tele is also somewhat distinctive, IMO, but not as easy to ID as the quack positions on a Strat.
    When I hear classic Meters tunes like Cissy Strut it sure sounds like a Tele through something like a Twin Reverb
    to my ears, but who knows-- maybe it really was a 335 or something else.

From what Leo Nocentelli says here in a Vintage Guitar interview, I guess it probably was a Tele:

What’s your baby as far as an axe goes?
    Well, for 25 years, I played a black 1976 Fender Starcaster. And I did a lot of recording with it.

How many of them do you have?
    I have the black one, plus one in sunburst and one in blond. I basically use the black one.

The Starcaster was their answer to Gibson’s ES-335…
    Yeah, and it has a nice jazz sound, but you can do pretty much anything you want to with it.
    What did you use before the Starcaster?
    I used the Tele on most the early Meters stuff.

So, you were traditionally a Fender guy, then. Same thing with amps?
    Yeah, I used a red-knobbed Fender, which they also don’t make anymore.

Word is you recently made a switch…
    Yeah, about a year ago I started playing a Gibson ES-335, and I’ve found a lot more versatility with it.
    Gibson has been really supportive of my efforts and career.

texastengu and Ian T like this.
  7. Dukex

Dukex Tele-Holic

Yes, from my POV the Strat is on the left and the Tele is on the right.

The dudes looks the same though; that's a tougher one.

8. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

A bit misleading, from the get-go.

This Strat's Gold Lace Sensor pickups inherently blur the difference. More typical stock Strat pickups sound different than these Laces, and quite different from the many "typical" Tele pickups. While Gold Lace Sensors aren't hot, they don't buzz like typical Strat pickups, and they don't quack as much, and they seem a bit thicker, in my experience.

I guess my point is that depending how we define "stock" and "typical," differences are pretty apparent, though they can be much equalized by pedals, EQing, amp effects, etc.

And vive le difference! I like how stock and typical Strats and Teles can sound somewhat alike, but I love their differences much more.

9. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

A few distinctive tones for each guitar are due to the presence of the volume knob tight to the strings. On a Tele you can pick freely all over and tend to be closer to the saddles for more Twang while a Strat volume knob tends to make players pick forward of the middle pickup for a rounder woodier tone. If you know that or built up instincts for it then you can play either tone set with either guitar. Well, some of the Quack is challenging on a Tele ;)

Peltogyne likes this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup!

11. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

If you have to ask then the solution is simple: Add one of each to your stable and learn for yourself. They are both iconic guitars, you can't go wrong.

12. bossanova

bossanova TDPRI Member

The most noticeable difference to me is that the cooler person is generally playing the Tele. YMMV of course.

13. JDB2

JDB2 Tele-Meister

IDK, although there is some overlap and similarity, I have always found the difference in tone between the traditional alnico Strat with tremolo bridge and traditional alnico Tele with the classic bridge to be fairly obvious, at least when clean or mildly overdriven. Strat sounds more scooped and airy, or thick and woody, Tele is more focused and brilliant - its more balanced and articulate. That said, I haven't really done a blind A/B. And lots of factors could affect that generalization, such as technique and music style and the player's having fulfilled his own preconceived notions of what the instrument should sound like. And I'm talking about the three main pickup settings on the Strat, the quack settings are a dead giveaway. As is the Tele center position, as nothing is comparable on the Strat.

14. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Afflicted

I don’t have to watch the video to know that I can be fooled. I’ve been flabbergasted before to learn that what I thought were “classic Tele tones” were coming from a Strat, or vice-versa. Technique plays a big part.

MilwMark and mkdaws32 like this.
  15. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Love your videos, Mike!

2 Headed Goat and MikeyisB999 like this.
  16. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

Didn't watch the video but I'm sure the amp plays such a big part here.

I think they can be made to sound very similar if a player is being conscious, you can play always tweak playing or settings to minimize the things that make a tele a tele or a Strat a Strat, IE make them both sound more generic.

If you aren't actively trying to fool people I think clear differences can be heard by an experienced ear.

Gabeezlebub likes this.
  17. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If you wire a Strat to give you N+B option, then it sounds very, very similar to Tele in N+B position, IMO.

If you stick a middle pickup in a Tele to create a Nashville Tele, it can quack very, very well.

18. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

will there be clues and prizes?

Gabeezlebub likes this.
  19. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

"Behind the curtain" a lot of our most cherished fantasies become dust in the wind.

Peltogyne likes this.
  20. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

I watched a Dwight Yoakam clip the other day to see what the fuss about his guitarist was (he's good!). I know this was only a film clip, not a live recording, but as I'm watching Dwight do his thing, and listening to the guitar, I'm thinking "yeah, nice chicken picking on the tele". But then I thought "actually, I don't think that's a tele, I think it's a strat". When Pete finally comes on screen, yep, he's wielding a Strat. Yes, it's only a film clip and he could have recorded the track with a tele, but I doubt it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.