Can you tell me what style of bridge this is?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Slt8576, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Slt8576

Slt8576 TDPRI Member

Is this a Tune-o-matic or some other style of bridge?

Anybody happen to recognize who makes this particular bridge?

(This is on an Epiphone LP Jr, but it's not the stock bridge.)

I'm curious mainly because my hand keeps scratching the sharp string heads, and I was wondering if this style of bridge had any covers you could purchase.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Attached Files:

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

‘String heads’??? Does this mean the balls of the strings..that fit into the back of the bridge? If so, imho proper technique can prevent that problem. What is your hand doing way back there and if it needs to be back there why is it so low. Imho, the hand should never be hard down on any bridge....ommv.
    Or...are you referring to the edges of the saddles? Those can be rounded over with a file ime, a cover prevents one from being able to mute strings....that is why we rarely see any Teles or Strats with the bridge covers....they are called ashtrays for a reason.

good luck with it..

Jakedog and Slt8576 like this.
  3. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Holic

Doubt anyone makes a cover but there is a 15$ wrap around bridge they sell on amazon that would fit fine and solve your problem.

4. Slt8576

Slt8576 TDPRI Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear. It's the part between the back of the saddle and the ball of the string (i.e. the tallest part of the bridge). There are some sharp edges to the string there, and I occasionally have the base of my hand anchored there, or simple brush against when moving my hand to the tone and volume knobs.

Wally likes this.
  5. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Technique, technique, technique......but if you have to replace the bridge then so be it.@ Bad Ass might eliminate the problem with the string wrap.

6. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

I've got one of those in my parts bin. Wilkinson makes a pretty good replacement.

Slt8576 likes this.
  7. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

That bridge looks like it was designed for easy string changing more than anything else. You might want to swap it for any of the badass style bridges available or a lighting bolt.
    eg
    https://www.guitarfetish.com/Chrome-Badass-Style-Intonatable-wraparound-bridge_p_153.html
    https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...den_Age_Lightning_Bolt_Wraparound_Bridge.html
    https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...file_Wraparound_Bridge_with_Metric_Studs.html

PS:
    I'd go with poor bridge design over bad technique for causing problems.

Slt8576 likes this.
  8. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Afflicted

Or you could just put something over that part of the bridge...a piece of plastic, a matchbook cover, etc. Then if someone asks what it is you can give them some ridiculous b.s. on how it's your tone secret. SHHH!

This can be solved much cheaper than replacement!

matmosphere, Wally and Slt8576 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.