Can you tell an older guitar by its feel?

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Mojo. What makes a guitar different from the many others. Generally takes a few years of playing an instrument to develop.
This!

The oldest guitar I have is my 1966 Duo-Sonic II, and yes it feels old. I think it's a matter of the wood mellowing out and the neck settling in, and getting played for decades, handled, strummed, knocked about.

My beloved '88 Am Std Tele feels wonderful in my hands because I've played it hard and with love from coast to coast, year after year after year. The neck is so smooth and perfectly rounded to my hands. It's just an extension of my body at this point.

When I got my '99 Am Std Strat four years ago, that's what I felt the moment I picked it up: it was lived in. You could tell it had been played and loved for a long time... It was worn in perfectly. One reason besides price that I learned to like used guitars.

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
My avatar feels old when I pick it up because it's dried out after 80+ years. When playing it, the back of the neck feels as smooth as a baby's behind (finish has been worn completely off, and the wood has been smoothed almost microscopically from the many years of playing wear).

posttoastie

Friend of Leo's
I can tell my older guitars because they never seem to need the Truss Rod adjusted compared to newer guitars. Must be due to good old dried wood.
My 65 Melody Maker
1669476185824.png

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I can tell my older guitars because they never seem to need the Truss Rod adjusted compared to newer guitars. Must be due to good old dried wood.
My 65 Melody Maker
View attachment 1054970
Cool MM.......is that a P-90? Not original, is it?
I have my 1960 Double-cut Les Paul Jr that I bought in 1969. Most amazing P-90 in existence. (IMHO)

posttoastie

Friend of Leo's
Cool MM.......is that a P-90? Not original, is it?
I have my 1960 Double-cut Les Paul Jr that I bought in 1969. Most amazing P-90 in e
Not original. Rio Grande P-90 added and front jack moved to side mount jack. I also have a 2019 Gibson Les Paul Jr Tribute and the stock P-90 in it is waaaaay better than the Rio Grande P-90(sounds too compressed).
I am going to put a Filter Tron in the Melody Maker in place of the P-90.

4pickupguy

Doctor of Teleocity
Most of time by feel but EVERY time by smell. Old guitars smell like old guitars. I don’t subscribe to the ‘all vintage guitars are superior‘ thing but, the good ones have character and personalities uniquely their own.

radiocaster

Doctor of Teleocity
For me, it's always going to be the wear on the back of the neck. Where the action is anchored. The Custom Shop has never been able to duplicate that.
Probably this, but you wouldn't be able to tell a guitar from 1965 from one from 2000 that's been played a lot. Which I doubt most people can.

marc2211

Tele-Afflicted
They do feel different. My MIJ Strat from 1993 feels old and worn in, with the finish very different from my 2015+ guitars. It feels almost like a 70s timeframe guitar.

I recently I found a Schecter Solo Six in a store… I played it and it definitely felt different. At the same time I said that it felt somehow older and more ‘mature’ than the other models on display. I bought it and only found it after that it was from 2011 and NOS!

My 2003 MIK Epis feel very very different from new ones.

My most recent guitar, a new Firebird feels painfully new, like the paint is not cured or something!