Can You Split a SD Little 59?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Mountaintwanger, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Mountaintwanger

Mountaintwanger Tele-Meister

I'm looking to change the pup's in my 62 tele custom and was wondering if you can split the little 59 bridge pup with a push/pull volume pot? Also I'm thinking of a quarter pounder in the neck?

2. Mountaintwanger

Mountaintwanger Tele-Meister

BTW I want my tele to cover everything from chicken pickin to classic rock.

3. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

4. tresspassor

tresspassor Tele-Meister

Yes, you can. I've done it and it doesn't sound that great.

5. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Your best sounding option might be a Series/Parallel switch, rather than coil split.
    That would give you a cleaner, brighter sound on Parallel and the stock, hotter sound on Series.

6. Coop47

Coop47 Poster Extraordinaire

That's what I have on mine - works pretty well, especially with 500k pots.. I think the split coil sounds a little thin.

I have a P-Rails in the neck that I like a lot.

However, I'd hate to mess up the looks of a 62 Custom with a Lil 59. My strong suggestion would be to add a four-way switch and have the pups wired in series for the fourth position. I have a 2005 American Series loaded with Don Mares wired this way and it handles everything I play in a cover band.

7. telemaster7082

telemaster7082 Tele-Afflicted

I used to have a SD hot rails, series/parallel in mine for the longest time. I know it doesnt get me ntioned a lot, but I used that pickup for everything. IMHO it is a great sounding pup. The Little 59 on the other hand....crickets crickets crickets.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes, you can split it. I had this (split) pup in my Strat's bridge position for a while, and I'm surprised I left it for so long. Not at all impressed. Sounds nothing like a full size hb, IMO.

9. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Afflicted

I'm not a fan of the lil '59 for most stuff. Split is really weak. Series is muddy and middy and clangy/hard with very little "feel" unless you have your amp on 11 and want to do pinch harmonics and weedly weedly solos. Probably my favorite wiring for it is parallel, so if you already have the pickup, go series/parallel.

It does NOT sound like a big '59 bucker--IMO it sounds like a full size JB bucker, which I also do not like (whereas I do like the full size Duncan '59's).

George

10. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

That's what I thought also after doing it.

11. B.G.

B.G. Tele-Meister

I likewise was unimpressed with the sound of the little '59 split, but I think it actually sounds best in parallel, so I'd strongly recommend giving that a try.

12. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

And my suggestion as well. To me if you do what you're thinking of OP you're messing up a good guitar and making it worse. JMHO

13. voodoo tele

voodoo tele Tele-Meister

+1 on series/parallel switch have one on one of my teles and love it!

14. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

I would guess those tiny little coils would be pretty weak.

15. brenn

brenn Tele-Afflicted

You're describing a range of sounds that a normal tele is often used for, how about just some good Tele pickups, like a set of Rio grandes?

Going another way, how about a pair of Gold Lace Sensors with a mid-raneg boost circuit, like a Clapton strat? James Burton, Clapton,. Buddy Guy, etc., have all used the lace sensors and with the Clapton boost, the start can sound like a Les paul, so I'd think the same would work with a Tele. I think Lace Sensors are the most flexible pickup out there.

Third idea, if you want to play Danny Gatton and Duane Allman on the same guitar, is to put a full-size humbucker at the neck, with a coil tap. (OK, a neck humbucker on a tele won't ever sound like Duane Allman, but....)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.