Can you set up in 15 minutes?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Nov 30, 2018.

1. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Sure..

2. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

It can be done, with proper planning.
    We used to do these country showcase gigs, 6 or 7 bands, ya know, PA, back line, drums, etc.
    We even had a left handed drummer and a pedal steel player and still pulled it off ok.
    Took a lot of up front planning though.

3. NJ Deadhead

NJ Deadhead Tele-Holic

Used to be able to when I played in a full band at places with their own PA/sound guy. Now that I play in a duo, I have a lot more work to do. Load in my full PA, get speakers/stands up, run all cables, tune guitars, dial in the sound for the room. It's more like a 30-35 min process now.

4. Tim G

Tim G Tele-Meister

used to do it all the time. Full band, we would play a 7-10 wedding and then a bar 3-4 miles away 10:30 to 1:30. Started on time at the bar on time 99% of the time. Tear down and move a full band and set up again including PA in 30 min. no problem. Goy to the bar about 10:20. 2 guitars, bass, and drums. Planning is the key. Drums were moved mostly set up.

Jakedog likes this.
  5. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Yep.

Guitar, amp, gig bag. I trip from car to stage. Plug in, turn on, tune up. Ready.

6. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

I think it's theoretically doable. Realistically tho parking somewhere near the venue is likely challenging. At 9pm the band is loading in but climbing over folks leaving the previous event - even if or especially if some of them stick around for the show. (My point is it's never 15 minutes; this happens at those live-music-all-day things too. The notion that a) the production/mgmt folks actively manage the schedule and keep the trains running on time, and/or that b) the band you follow thinks anyone in the audience wants them to ever stop playing because they're SOooooo Good.....) So, you're plugged in and ready to go by 9:15 but then need to keep adjusting the settings on the house PA and the backline amps for the next 15 minutes - assuming that the house equipment isn't crap and that settings are the minor issue. @ 9:18 the owner/manager who insisted on the "15-minute" turn-around is yelling at the band about the sound, the volume, feedback,... Thanks, I needed to vent.

Yours Truly,

- The Optimist

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Easy.

The drummer, on the other hand...

8. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

Only when I am playing bass. Setting up my pedal steel alone is about 10 minutes, then wiring everything up in stereo, tuning 2 instruments, 1 with 20 strings (or 3 if I'm playing banjo that night) I need a good hour. Clubowner don't like it; he can get another steel player in there (good luck with THAT!)

9. Art VanDelay

Art VanDelay Tele-Afflicted

The tone of the request is not demanding or snarky. They also let you know about the PA & backline to make things go quicker.

10. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

Plug the asat special into a pedalboard and whatever backline they provide, sure. I'm low maintenance.

11. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to Nashville! Just about everyplace is like that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.