Can you set up in 15 minutes?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by charlie chitlin, Nov 30, 2018.

1. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Easy peasy. Heck, We can set up the PA also in 1/2 hour total.

2. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

I can set up in 5 minutes - amp, pedalboard, guitar, in that order. My keyboardist and my drummer need longer.

3. McGlamRock

McGlamRock Friend of Leo's

That's the spot! It was a fun gig.

4. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Who were you playing with? My group is called Footprints- we're there this Saturday(tomorrow!)

5. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Glad I don't have to pull this off. My pedalboard--amp connection currently uses 5 cables. (Input, mono and stereo send & returns. Good thing the stereo loop can use TRS cables, otherwise it'd be 7 cables). If I had to gig somewhere with this exact configuration I'd be looking into a custom snake for sure.

As it stands now I can setup and break down for practice faster than the drummer, so my unreasonable effects loop usage doesn't affect anything adversely.

6. McGlamRock

I played with a group called Stampede. I think the singer's name is Eric.
    Have a great show tomorrow!

7. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Looks like Stampede still has a monthly there- I take it you're no longer with them?

8. johnny k

johnny k Friend of Leo's

I set up in 2 minutes top. The real question is can the drummer set up in 15 mns, and set up the pa ? ;)

9. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Holic

Yes, even less than 15 minutes. It depends if I am playing bass or guitar. Bass is just a handy headless with one cable no pedals, and a Fender Rumble 200 combo. Plug in two cables and off you go. Tuning I can do at home, or before setting up, it wont drift.

Guitar? Basically...the same. Even though it's a rush but I kind of like it, it winds and peps me up a bit. Don't carry too much gear there either. Drummers has a problem though.

10. McGlamRock

Yeah I played with them on Fridays for about 8 months. It was a long haul coming from San Francisco- especially with Friday rush hour traffic. So the singer went with someone a little bit closer. It's a much better gig for someone already in the east bay.

11. picknfool

picknfool Tele-Holic

Both of the other folks in my trio come over from S.F. for this!

12. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Fifteen minutes? I can a lot of things in fifteen minutes, including fall asleep. Just ask my wife! <rimshot!> ;) :p

Seriously, though, I can set up my duo rig including PA in about fifteen minutes. It's all about efficiently organizing your stuff and eliminating anything that's not absolutely necessary. My partner and I can fit our entire deal in the back of his SUV without putting the back seat down. Once we get to the show, it takes about fifteen minutes to load in, set up, and get ready to play. Really not a big deal, actually.

And, by the way, the PA consists of two 15-inch QSC speakers, one or two subs, a powered mixer, and a PC that we use for MIDI backing tracks. So, no, it's not one of those Bose all-in-one deals. I also use it for my full band.

13. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Some of you are better than me!
    It can take me more than 15 minutes to get 2 guitars out of the cases, tune up and get the cases stashed away.
    I tend to blither about a bit, though.

Random1643 and Nickadermis like this.
  14. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

Yep. Did it again, on Friday night. House backline gigs are a breeze. Two gig bags on the bus? Does that mean I can have a couple of pints, at some point? Yes. Yes it does......:cool:

15. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

5-10 minutes.

Set amp down. Plug in and set to standby.

Set small board down. Plug in. Plug cables in to board and amp.

Take guitar out of case. Plug in cable.

Tune.

Go.

Almost takes longer to type than do.

UnbrokenChainz likes this.
  16. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

It would take me 15 minutes just to figure out where I was at.

Naw, I think I could do it just fine. I've certainly done it before. If it was a short gig I'd just have one guitar to tune. Plug pedal board into amp and hope everything worked.

17. Plumber

Plumber Tele-Holic

In my most recent band I would be
    Mic stand/mic and cabled up
    Guitar into helix and cabled up
    Set up my monitor - SRM150 - feed from line out of one active PA
    hand cables to mixer guy of the night

All done 3 minutes

I could then watch the rest of the technophobes continually mess things up for 45 minutes.

Then we start sound check :) - 2 songs of mixing the band from the mixer near the drum kit - lots of I can't hear myself :)

I was generally in front of the keyboard player who had one of those massive roland keyboard amps pointing at his knees and through my knees

I was often asked to turn up my guitar - I would just point at the mixer guy and shrug.

On the one occasion I was 'allowed' to set up the mixer PA it took 10 minutes to set up/5 minutes to patch and set up gains and levels and I didn't even bother sound checking. Universally accepted as the best we had ever sounded by the band and our travelling crowd.

They even eventually decided that my idea of putting a patch of colour duct tape on all my equipment/cables was a good idea. I didn't need to ask what was mine I just took everything with my colour and packed it - could see from a quick scan of the stage that I hadn't left anything

I don't work with them any longer

18. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

They have full PA and backline? I can set up in under three minutes and that includes tuning.

If I had to set up my PA and wire everything 15 minutes would be pushing it, but I’m thinking it could be done.

19. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I surely can

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I think everybody could do it individually, but it's tough on a small crowded stage. keys, horns, guitars, drums...and my wacky sax player has some weird rig that sends his signal to the board and his own monitor.
    We'll be in the service stairwell right up to the time, so 15 min includes carrying everything to the stage.
    I'm not worried

drlucky and twangking like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.