1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Can you replace the neck of a Deluxe tele with a standard neck?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by DustinG, Sep 27, 2020.

1. DustinG

DustinG TDPRI Member

I have a Deluxe Tele that I'm hoping to replace the next on it with the Deep C neck that typically comes with the American Professional telecaster.

Is that easily doable? The Deluxe has a contoured neck heel, so it's not the usually rectangular heel. I assume drilling an additional hole shouldn't be a big deal, but will the neck fit correctly into the heel pocket?

Have any of you tried doing this?

Thanks.

2. BluesRockDude

BluesRockDude TDPRI Member

If you mean the tele deluxe with the 2 wide range humbuckers, then the neck pocket is routed for a strat neck and a standard tele neck won't fit without reshaping the pocket. It is possible, but it'd be much easier to find a strat neck with the same profile to use as a replacement.

3. DustinG

DustinG TDPRI Member

Sorry - looks like the thread got duplicated, and I'm not seeing a way to delete one of them.

4. DustinG

DustinG TDPRI Member

Interesting. It's an American Deluxe with 2 single coils, not the humbucker version.

5. fasteddie42

fasteddie42 Tele-Afflicted

yes, you should be able to put an American neck on a MiM body.

6. LAPlayer

LAPlayer Tele-Meister

On any replacement, measure the pocket and the neck heel. If they're the same or pretty close it can be easily done. I NEVER assume anything when it comes to neck pockets and/or necks. There are too many variables.

7. DustinG

DustinG TDPRI Member

Right, but the question is about adding a neck to a Deluxe tele.

8. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Tele-Meister

My Tele Deluxe MIM reissue has a three-bolt neck with tilt adjust. Most other Teles don't, so swapping a neck from another Tele might require some modification. I don't know if they're all like that or it's just the 72 reissues. Also, my neck has a Strat headstock, and I haven't checked but I can certainly believe, as @BluesRockDude says above, that it's a Strat neck and the Deluxe body is routed for the more rounded heel, in which case you'd have to rout some wood to fit another Tele neck.

9. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I think there are two different guitar types now?

70's style Telecaster Deluxe (2 Wide Range humbuckers, different body routing, pickguard and maybe neck pockets) vs. American Deluxe Telecaster series (special model series).

Fender and their names..

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  10. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Pics always help. Is your guitar just a regular tele but from the deluxe line? If so you should be fine.
    Just double check the neck shape
    [​IMG]

And Neck pocket
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New fender replacement necks often come with 5 holes.
    fender 123.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.