Can you recommend locking tuners for Les Paul Junior.

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by TubeBlues, Sep 25, 2019.

1. TubeBlues

TubeBlues Tele-Meister

I just got a 2019 Les Paul Junior Tribute DC.

It's got Kluson style button tuners. I'd like to install locking tuners, but don't mess with the weight balance.
    It's perfect right now.

Any suggestion?

[​IMG]

2. Toast

Toast Tele-Holic

I'm not an expert on locking tuners. I have older Sperzel tuners on two of my guitars. The one thing I've learned about my locking tuners through experience is that I don't like that they can come apart into pieces. I'm with Dave's World Of Fun Stuff on that. Tuners where you can unscrew the knob all the way off till a little metal post falls out of them can be a PITA. If I were thinking about buying tuners, I would check how they work and decide whether I wanted that kind of design or not. I can't help you on finding the right balance of tuners for your guitar. Good luck.

howardlo likes this.
  3. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

You can - there's Gotohs (which is what these are) that are a drop-in.

But why? I have/had three of these guitars and the Gotohs even when old don't slip.

Things that cause tuning to go hinky. None of these is cured by new tuners - waste of money.

1. If you have the straight wrap tail it's not compensated for intonation it's virtually impossible to get tuning right. If so, you need one of these, a 'lightning bolt' bridge or the adjustable Badass type.

aoalightningboltnickel2.jpg

51vB5mPfR7L._SX425_.jpg

2. Nutslots cut high - a failing of 2/3 of mine

3. Nutslots cut for .009-.042s and putting bigger strings on causing ping-ping-ping due to sticking in the slots.

2. and 3. are cured by a good setup along with lubing the slots.

Done correctly they tune up and hold tune perfectly with the stock plastic button tuners. Even the 2008 'reliccd' one.

Why do Gibson do this, when old ones had lightning bolt bridges? They think no one will notice probably. It's chintzy and spoils the guitar for some people.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
    rze99 likes this.
  4. TubeBlues

TubeBlues Tele-Meister

Thanks dude, but the tuning stability is great. It's 100% because I like locking tuners.

5. kmcanney

kmcanney Tele-Meister

Fretting out likes this.
  6. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Best part of the Gotoh Kluson style locking tuners is that they require no modifications to the headstock. They do weigh a tiny bit more than the originals though. I've been satisfied with the set I put on my Les Paul.

Fretting out likes this.
  7. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Holic

A well set up guitar with a fixed bridge and the strings installed properly shouldn’t need locking tuners, IMO. I get it if you just like the idea of them, but unless you play like a gorilla they’re really unnecessary.

8. Zuzax

Zuzax Tele-Afflicted

I agree. That said, I have locking tuners on a lot of my guitars because (for me) it's easier to change strings, and I'm fanatical about having fresh strings.

Toast and tlsmack like this.
  9. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

generally if the bridge is mounted at an angle you use a tailpiece without the lightning bolt, if it is mounted straight you use a lightning bolt. If it were me, I'd probably make sure it was set up nicely e.g. the nut is good and lubed up too, stretch the strings well and play through acouple of sets of strings before I changed anything on it.

10. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

In order to quickly check if the additional weight will cause any balance problem for your liking, you can clip a capo to the headstock and see if the guitar still balances ok for you. If so, I think you’re good to go with these tuners.

Old Deaf Roadie likes this.
  11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sperzels have an aluminum body so are pretty light weight.

12. telemnemonics

I DON'T like locking tuners but I really hate tuners with no provision for stashing the string ends.
    Nobody makes 3x3 split shafts so lockers are the better choice AFAIK than string ends sticking out.

I'll admit I had a hard time accepting that some players prefer locking tuners.
    Gettin' used to it though.
    I've had locking Sperzels on one Strat for maybe 22 years and they were used and beat up when I got them.
    Nice tuners if you're not fiddly and clumsy with parts.

Gibsons are challenging enough with bridge and stoptail falling off when you remove the strings.

13. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

Ditto that.
    are there really no 3x3 split shafts out there or haven't I searched hard enough?
    they're the best things after sliced bread.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

I get that you want locking.
    In my 40 years of playing I’ve only ever felt the need for locking when I had to do pointy headstock wild whammy sessions for low pay and even then I locked at the nut. Horrible times!

ElJay370 and Alamo like this.
  15. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Meister

Locking tuners are not necessary and don't look right imho!

howardlo likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

I did a lot of hunting and I forget now if I might have found some split shaft 3x3 with little plastic buttons or none at all in 3x3.
    I couldn't find what I wanted though and even considered buying a RH set and a LH set of 6OAS split shafts but would then have to figure out a way to secure the back without proper screw mounting provision.
    Even considered taking apart both sets and putting the split shaft gear assemblies in the 3x3 cases.
    Not 100% sure they would fit though.
    At that point I gave up and decided a set of Sperzels would do, since I use a set on a Strat without any bother.
    Still didn't buy the Sperzels yet...

Checked just now and these might be tolerable, 3x3 lockers that look like a cross between vintage LP tuners and split shafts.
    Not sure how they work, says they lock by tightening the "string knob".
    In all my years of playing and working as a tech I don't know what a "string knob" is!
    Might be the split end looking part is actually a screwdriver slot?

These might fit the OPs request.

https://reverb.com/item/4137783-got...n=2068628530&utm_medium=pla&utm_source=google

17. telemnemonics

Found these cheaper on ebay (as usual) with a better description than on reverb.
    Not sure if they are newer and weren't on the market when I last looked but they seem like a decent alternative to string ends sticking out, and they seem to tighten simply by tuning up which tightens the inner post against the string holding the end of the outer post, which is threaded onto the inner post like a nut. So the string is the wrench which tightens the outer nut onto the inner post.

Since they don't have a big thumb screw on the back they should be about the same weight as stockers.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=292786414876

Alamo likes this.
  18. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

Locking tuners are a time saver. I can't understand why anyone wouldn't want them. They should be standard on more models.

You can get self locking tuners without the knob in the back that don't look weird at all.

gitold likes this.
  19. schenkadere

For me it's ease of string changes...nothing to do with tuning.

If guitars were introduced with locking tuners, I doubt anyone would be seeking out a tuner that doesn't lock. It's a no brainer for me.

gitold and Toast like this.
  20. schenkadere

TonePros fixed that issue years ago.

gitold likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.