can you recommend an air-water filter for spraying?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by mistermikev, May 26, 2021.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Afflicted

so... a while back I asked questions ad nauseam regarding compressors... and I bought one and have used it a lot for various things so thank y'all for that, but have yet to use it to spray lacquer.

building now and am fast approaching the time where I will put them to work.

I've got a couple of cheap guns to try out, and I understand that an air/water filter near the gun is advisable but am not entirely sure what to get.

I recall having them close to the gun is important, and I see these little ones that attach inline, but then I see others that might require mounting somewhere. so q1 is which one?

q2 is... I'm not entirely sure of actual size of hose (std) but it occurs to me I might have to buy some fittings to go hose in/out of the filter (they don't come w them?

can you speed up the learning curve and advise?

thanks in advance.

2. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Inline beside the regulator. For me I do gun->regulator->filter->hose. Most connectors are 1/4"

mistermikev likes this.
  3. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

This is the one I've used for probably ~25 years.

Mine sits right at the compressor exit between the compressor and the gun.
    I do compressor>filter>hose>gun.

The 'little ones' are disposable, when they get saturated you remove them and throw them away.
    This is permanent, it has a cartridge you can take out, clean, and re-insert.
    Tho it is a rare day I have to do that, maybe once every few years.
    And a bleeder valve at the bottom to release any accumulated water.

Q2. Yes, it has 3/8" female in and outs.
    You can get double-males and some teflon tape at any hardware store for a buck or two.
    That's how mine is done, I have a double-male at each end to screw onto.
    On the compressor side, I have a long one, about 4-5" long, so it goes right from the compressor out to the filter in, its a somewhat permanent connection.

The other end is just a shortie, and since I use guns and airbrushes, which take different hoses, I'm sometimes flipping back and forth between hoses.
    Which just screw on and off to the 'back' end double-male.

https://www.campbellhausfeld.com/filter-3-8-in-npt-pa212103av.html

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    mistermikev likes this.
  4. mistermikev

thank you sir... you buy your regulator/filter online?

5. mistermikev

accidentally hit save. ok, so you just use a filter, no regulator?

6. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

My regulator is built into the compressor.
    And of course there is an airflow control on the gun itself.

I can take a quick pic if you want to see it all hooked up.

bender66 and mistermikev like this.
  7. mistermikev

right on. so it actually came w your compressor? yeah, would love to see that.
    the one you posted above... that's a pa212103? trying to find that model online as I'd like to avoid buying twice.
    I just have the harbor freight mcgraw. it's not oil less... I think it is 28gal? nothing special just want to get away from rattle cans.

looks like this is the one you pointed to?
    https://www.amazon.ca/Tool-Filter-3-Campbell-Hausfeld-PA212103AV/dp/B0000CBINA

8. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

Here you go.
    I have two connections coming out of the compressor.
    The big red hose goes to an air nozzle and is just for general compressed air needs.

Then I have an on/off valve in front of the filter, which leads to the filter>hose>gun.

The hose connection out of the filter is just hand-tight since I switch from that hose to the airbrush hose when I need to.
    Which sometimes is every 5-10 minutes if I'm flipping back and forth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bender66 and mistermikev like this.
  9. mistermikev

noice. wow, you get YOUR kind of results with that small of a compressor? crazy. I saw reviews on that filter saying the drain valve is a little temperamental but it clearly works for you so... good 'nuff for me!! thanks for the picks... will refer to this when I'm about to visit the hardware store.

10. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

Yep, same setup for decades, basic as it gets.

Interesting you mentioned the drain valve.
    The first one I had (same model) had a different drain valve and was more mechanical and secure.
    I just replaced it about a year ago, it lasted over 20 years.
    When I installed this one, I could tell there was the possibility of the drain valve 'getting weird'.
    But it hasn't, and it's probably a $5.00 part if it ever actually does go bad.

mistermikev likes this.
  11. mistermikev

good to know. I just saw some reviews that said it is a fantastic filter but the drain valve is a little iffy. they also said "the old ones where better" hehe. thank you very much for the info, I think I'm going to give that one a shot.

12. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

I bought the regulators at Home Depot and the filters on eBay. I have 3 guns - one is a mini HVLP for sunburst finishes and the others are regular HVLP's.

mistermikev likes this.
  13. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

I use two moisture filters when I spray.

The big one, which is a Harbor Freight knock-off of the big old cannister type DeVilbiss filter, is mounted at the end of a 50 foot run of line that comes from the compressor, and an additional one, a small dessicant type filter, is mounted right at the gun.

The reason for mounting the big filter at the end of a 50 run of tubing is that the air, after running through that length of tubing, the air has a chance to cool down from the compressing process, and is more apt to give up it's moisture content because the air is cooler.

Basic physics - hot air can hold more moisture than cool air.

Regardless, it works great :).

Drain your compressor tank either daily, or every time after you use it ;).

Here's a link for the big filter -

Air Filter Regulator Unit (harborfreight.com)

The small filters are the cheap disposable ones.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    mistermikev likes this.
  14. Dostradamas

Dostradamas Tele-Meister

In AZ Your humidity is so low I would just do it on a dry day.

Ambient air into your compressor is where the water comes from.

You are in paint heaven.

15. mistermikev

good to know. I suppose if you buy the filter itself at hdepot perhaps you can buy replacement filters there too? something to think about. thanks for the reply!!

16. mistermikev

thank you for the reply, and good to know. as it were... my plan was to run a long hose from my garage out to the side of my house where I typically spray. I don't get any water out of it at all just spraying things off in my garage so I'm not sure if it will be a problem but prefer to not find out!!

17. mistermikev

yeah, I suspect you are right on there. when I spray rattle can nitro it damn near dries before it hits the guitar lol! my garage is like the opposite of a sauna. I've got a lot of sawdust out there... and tons of wood... so I've noticed every time I'm out there for a minute I end up really thirsty!

again, haven't felt any moisture in the air when I blow things around in my garage, but I'm also aware that any amount of moisture could create a lot of work at finish time. can't hurt to put a filter on, but I suppose I will be able to go a LONG time w/o changing the filter.

18. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Holic

Open the drain on your compressor when empty and if nothing comes out you're good.When the monsoon comes you might want to checkout a dryer or moisture separator.I've never had more than a few drops come out of my tank.Always dug your avatar guitar man.Love the Gypsy affect...Think that's the right word.

19. Drak

Drak Tele-Afflicted

The CH filter I listed is not only a moisture trap, it filters out debris and particulate matter in the air coming through as well.
    That's what the little cannister is inside of it, and why you see the big nut at the top for quick disassembly to get to it.

20. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

As others have said, my water filter and first regulator are at my compressor

IMG_2669.JPG

I set the first regular to 40 or so PSW so I can fill car tires and run a few pneumatic tools. I have a second regulator at my gun to lower the spraying pressure. One thing to remember about the water trap is to punch the little button that discharges the water from time to time - after trapping it you want to get rid of the water.

That little compressor is way too small for the specs of the gun but it works just fine with the intermittent way I spray a guitar. I let the tank fill to pressure and the pressure switch kicks off - that is always enough to spray a coat on back or top and neck of a guitar. It wouldn't work painting a car, works fine the way I use it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.